Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

My 1987 XV700 Project

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Re: My 1987 XV700 Project

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun May 02, 2021 2:26 am

One thing wanted to pass along something that really trips people up...don't take a chance with old carb manifolds/joints and those funky 0-ring seals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XV700-X ... 4038994032 Don't know how many get their carbs all perfect, only to discover there may be one or two tiny manifold cracks that render their freshly rebuilt carbs useless. Meaning: guard against some aggravation and give those originals a good squeeze.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 pm

Flyingdog... thanks for that tip. I was going to chance the old ones and decided against it. I wish I saw your post before I bought a cheap set, but they luckily seem to work so far.

I got the carbs rebuilt, and spent hours and hours trying to clean everything. Especially the passage in the bowls for the starter jet. I finally said enough is enough after my fingers were rubbed raw and threw everything together. Threw is an overstatement, it took all day to put the carbs together and get them installed.

The bike started up instantly without choke. Throttled up beautifully, then started sputtering and died after 10-20 minutes. Then I realized the front cylinder was still cold, it wasn't firing. So I opened the pilot jets, and it starts up again, this time the front cylinder is warming up. AWESOME!

But wait, any throttle and it wants to die... I let it idle for a bit, just getting cobwebs out and warmed up. Kill it, and decide I have bad gas (the tank still is pretty bad even though I flushed it out today for an hour). I drain the black gas out of the carbs and let the gas flush them cleaner. (Gas is still a little rusty colored even though it's new).

Bike starts up again, but only once I give it some throttle. RPM's really low and it wants to die, but half choke keeps it going. This time it throttles up, but RPM's hang and slowly come down.

So.now I think I'm running rich and need to close the pilot jets. That will be next weekend though. Get the pilots dialed in, then check the carb sync, then check compression.

I need to clean the tank better, but I was impatient and wanted the bike running! While it ran I shifted into first and let the wheel spin on idle to get everything moving and lubed up. Went through the lights. Listened to noises. Checked for leaks. Checked the charging. Properly adjusted the rear brake. Checked oil flow to the heads. Everything is looking great!

I also will be cleaning up these vacuum and fuel lines next weekend. It was thrown together to make it work, but they need 90⁰ elbows and adjusted/rerouted. Will probably buy a new petcock without the vacuum on it. This one just doesn't have enough clearance with the head.

I'm ecstatic though! Tons of cleaning and checking and more checking and the dang thing started right up after 14 years! Just adjustments, tweaks, and cosmetics (and that damn tank), and I have a great sounding bike for the summer!

I'm leaning towards ditching the AIS since that vacuum tube is a PITA, and the lines from the heads are ugly. But do I keep the bug eye for looks or ditch it all?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1987 Yamaha XV700

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Sun May 16, 2021 1:25 am

An updated list..

DONE-Primary fuse is missing, i jumpered the wires and bike turned over. Will buy a 20A universal holder to splice in.
- DONE, but still need to bleed brakes again- Front brake has no pressure, needs flushed and checked. Scratch that. Need new lines and entire rebuild.
-DONE, just needed cleaning on the shifter- Gear shifter will not return to center. Fluids? Flush? Spring?
-DONE, haven't done the compressing check, but I don't I'll find anything bad- Change plugs / check compression
-DONE- Change oil / filter
-DONE, new petcock, just have to put it all together after the carbs are done- Drain/clean fuel tank/petcock (fuel filler still rusted shut, working on getting that open).
-DONE, Clean carbs
-DONE- Air filter
-DONE- Lube shaft drive - once the bike runs. I didn't touch the middle gear though. Hoping it's solid
- DONE- Check rear brake - once the bike runs
-DONE, realized the engine oil is the tranny oil. I'm still learning- Change clutch fluids
-DONE, mostly. Some lines will need changed, I've changed others, but essuming will work as of now- Change fuel lines, vacuum, and all other hoses/cables/lines as necessary.
-DONE- Check lights/fix turn signal
-DONE, just haven't ops checked it yet, but I'm certain i found the issue. See previous post

New list:
- fix fuel/ vacuum line routes
- tune and sync carbs
- New mirrors
- New tires
- double check electrical fuse box
- re-bleed front brakes
- Check compression still
- New petcock without the need for vacuum

LONG TERM:
- New tank or fix the dent and do a good proper cleaning inside
- Clean entire bike including rust, replace fasteners, potentially repaint/powder coat
- rebuild front brakes with better lines
- delete AIS? Most likely and soon
- i dunno. Really just want a reliable bike, and don't care so much about looks. I might sell this before all of this is done. I'm so close at this point and have an old truck to fix that this all might be way down the line. I do want a windshield and bags so potentially go moto camping.

If it works and isn't a safety issue (brakes, tires, lights), it'll be gotten to eventually.

The biggest takeaway though is it RUNS! The second vehicle I've brought back from the dead! Happy days happy days

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun May 16, 2021 2:25 am

:GJ:
Personally, if I had done all that work, I wouldn't even consider selling it, less that was the object in the first place. Yea...I'd ditch all that garbage in the left bug-eye (AIS/MCV). Then you 'd have an empty space to store, whatever. Noticed, you caught this is a "wet-clutch"...as in lubed by engine oil. Just keep in mind, whenever changing engine oil, don't ever use an oil that has the words: "Energy saving or Friction reducing"....you'll be changing the clutch discs soon after the bike starts slipping clutch plates.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:13 pm

Definitely plan to keep it for a while, few years at least.

I didn't even think of that option to use the bugeye as more storage. I'm 95% sure I'll be removing the AIS, but I want to see how well the bike runs with it on. I can see all of the advantages with it gone though.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:01 pm

Back at it again. Started up, was about to adjust the pilot's, then it started sputtering and died. Wouldn't turn over. So I try manually, wouldn't budge. Pull the plugs out and the rest cylinder plug is soaking wet, thinking i just hydrolocked it. Spin manually again and a gush of gas pops out the rear cylinder :ops: that confirmed that theory. I'm no expert on carbs by any means, but pretty sure the float was stuck open. So the carbs are pulled again, and they look disgusting again. No idea how that much gunk got past the petcock and in line filter, but I'm cleaning the carbs again tomorrow.

I flushed the tank again, and the gas was looking a little brown, but no chunks or gunk. I'll flush it again tomorrow, but I gotta fix this tank permanently this winter. Hopefully professionally.

Added some oil to the cylinders since I know sitting fuel dries rings out badly. The first couple turns on the engine were rough, but it smoothed up, got easier to turn, and sounded so much better. I'm hoping to God the compression check is good once this thing runs again.

And whoever told me I'd get carb removal down to 5 minutes... it took me about 15 my second time. I'm not liking this practice though lol.

Got new mirrors installed. Bought new fuel lines and filter again since they were gunmmed up too. I almost gave up after that hydro lock. Should have been more patient cleaning the tank, but I don't think I'll learn that lesson tomorrow either.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Got the carbs cleaned yesterday. Flushed the tank again and it's doing a lot better so far, but time will tell. I hope it'll last until the winter at least. Put it all together without the AIS and it started right up and ran better than before. Good throttle response, good idle at 950 roughly, but a LOT of smoke coming from the exhaust.

I tuned the pilot's as best as I knew how being inexperienced tuning a carb, but I think it's still a little rich. They're both about 2.5-3 turns out. I'll live with it though until I learn more about it and get more experience.

Both carbs are synced at throttle and 3k rpm.

Decided to hook up the AIS and it took care of the smoke from the exhaust and didn't affect carb sync. So I'll be using it unless I have issues in the future.

Checked compression and it's pretty bad. I'm hoping it might get better after riding the bike, but I'm doubting it. It's an issue I'm not wanting to tackle though, but yet at least. I don't think it'll be worth it really unless I get the bike cleaned up really well. Front cylinder was 120, not awful but low. Rear was 90... sh!t.

Anyways, it's all put together. I think my list is all done besides rebleeding the front brakes and working on the fuse box/electronics, and tires. While running i had electrical gremlins that made the blinkers flash sporadically (mostly on rpm deceleration). And the taillight would stay off for a bit, flick on after some fiddling, then sporadically flicker out. I'm hoping it's the loose contacts in the fuse box, but I'm thinking there's a wire short somewhere.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:16 pm

An update to my updated list.

- fix fuel/ vacuum line routes -DONE
- tune and sync carbs -DONE
- New mirrors -DONE
- New tires - once i actually get it on the road i think
- double check electrical fuse box. -DONE
- re-bleed front brakes -DONE
- Check compression still -DONE
- New petcock without the need for vacuum - i rerouted vacuum lines so the harsh bend at the connection is gone. Time will tell if the head melts the line, but for now it works as needed.

I rebled the front brakes and got a few bubbles. It feels a lot better.

My mirrors are not symmetrical since I replaced the master cylinder with a universal one. I might change the clutch handle possibly, but I'm not too concerned about looks right now. Just want to ride a safe legal bike.

My flickering lights were due to the ignition switch bolts being stripped out. The contacts in the switch would open up. I replaced with SAE bolts that were just slightly thicker and hold the housing together well.

New issue... the bike started sputtering again and would die, even with choke on. Holding the throttle kept it running. I drained the carb bowls, but the gas was still as clear as last week. It revved up fine. So I adjust the pilot and its leaking on the rear cylinder. I'm assuming my pilot o-ring torn or unseated letting air be sucked in instead of fuel from the bowl. So I'll be pulling the carbs.. again. Unless anyone has any other thoughts.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:28 am

So, the pilot o-ring WAS torn and the new one fixed that issue. But I'm back to the issue of a corroded fuel tank. I took the carbs apart, just the bowls, jets and floats. Ensured those were clear, and put it all back together. The bike started and ran fine, no leaks from the carbs like I had last week. Then it kept dying for no apparent reason. On top of that, the bike seemed like it was running on one cylinder for a minute then the second would kick in and it smoothed out. I drained the carbs, started it, and same thing happened. Slow rough idle, then a minute later it picked up and smoothed out.

So I drain the bowls again, front is clean, rear bowl is just a little dirty. But... the rear bowl kept flowing SLOWLY with the petcock on prime, and the front would stop after the bowl was drained. I'm believing the petcock filters are gummed up.

I knew my impatience on that tank would bite me in the @$$.

Next step... buy a new new petcock without the vacuum valve. I could clean this one, but I don't like how the lines run. Plus the gas line off the petcock goes down, so my fuel line swoops down below the carbs then up above them. Maybe no big deal, but it doesn't help the feed.

The new petcock feeds horizontal to the front, so it should help a lot. Clean up the lines. And I'll flush the tank again while changing it. Hope to God I don't have to pull the carbs again for cleaning. I won't be touching it in the next 2 weeks though so who knows.

Gotta find a shop to properly fix my tank! That tank is causing all of my problems.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:36 am

Oh, I pulled the plugs after I ran it for a while. They are both dry, not burning, so my fuel air ratio is pretty close. They have a bit of carbon buildup. Particularly the rear cylinder. So I look at it closer, and I see signs of burning oil on it. Definitely have rings, valve seals, or a head gasket leak. Most likely the rings. Pulling the engine off is not something I want to do though using a friend's house. So I'm going to just live with that and deal with it another day.

Lesson to learn here... don't let something sit for 14 years because it didn't charge correctly.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:38 am

Ok, new update.

The bike has sat for a few weeks untouched. When I left it I knew my petcock was getting plugged up so the fuel tank was on my list again.

I got my plate/registration in, so I went over to pull the tank off and properly give it a good cleaning (with a lot of patience), and there was oil everywhere!

So on order now is my shift shaft seal (the biggest leak), rear cam chain tensioner (a minimal leak), and I have a leak coming from the cover that I hope goes away after I retorqued the bolts. These won't be in until next weekend though so I hope I can get by without them until then.

I pulled the tank and it was pretty nasty inside. The petcock filter was completely gone letting everything into it (it fell off in the tank). So now the tank is sitting outside with 100 nuts and full of white vinegar. I'm thinking Sunday I will reinstall it and hope to god I won't have to pull the carbs off again, but it looks like my float bowls might have a small leak so they might be coming off anyways to tighten those more.

I have a new petcock on hand already that I'm happier with, so I will post photos with an update once I install the tank.

I almost gave up today after seeing all of those leaks. I realized though that leaks are not the end of the world and I almost have a rideable bike besides that. I used to have a 2009 Ducati Monster 696. Every time I rode it the rear of the engine and swing arm was covered. When it was parked oil ran down the head and kickstand. 2,000 miles on it. I had narrowed it down to the head near the spark plug, so really that only meant I had a cracked head. The dealership looked at it and said they couldn't find any leak. My father in law rode it and said there was no leak. (I took videos and showed them exactly where the leak was, and it showed up 3 minutes after warming up). I got the bike back, sure as sh!t it was leaking after 3 minutes. I just did a good cleaning/grinding, and used aluminum epoxy weld. Had no issues for 10,000 miles and then I sold it. So surely I can handle these leaks right????

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:25 am

Sorry to hear about all the issues that still needs sorting, but you will get there in the end!
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Timbox3899 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:57 pm

Sounds to me like you have a positive outlook and are trouble the way you should be. I don't know about the vinegar though. I have tried that in the past and then went with evapo rust. I know it cost $15+ a gal but it is worth it. If you are a project bike guy like me, you will use it a few times a yr. So stocking up on a few gals of it is really a good idea. You can reuse it too.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Timbox3899
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 Honda Valkyrie, Bandit 1250s
1981 xv750 (project)

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:46 pm

Fuel tank update:

Thursday I pulled the fuel tank with determination to do a proper cleaning since I realized it has been my main culprit for running issues and pulling the carbs multiple times for cleaning. I found that the cheap universal petcock's main filter fell off, which explains why I was barely getting a trickle of fuel from the tank. So I did replace it with an OEM Yamaha Raptor petcock. This gave me a ton more clearance as seen in the photos, and I don't have to worry about a vacuum line now. It has turned out to be a great investment so far. Anyways... I removed the old petcock and fuel sensor and capped those holes. Then filled the tank with 3.5+ gallons of white vinegar and 100 nuts on Thursday. Until today, I whenever I drove somewhere I ensured I had the tank in the back of my truck to get the vinegar and nuts moving. I set it in a cement mixing tub to catch any leaks (it did leak some). While at home, I ensured to shake the tank every hour at least for about 5 minutes rotating the tank around to get every side of it. I then sprayed the tank with some water to rinse off any vinegar leaks to protect my dented/rusted paint from peeling even more. All weekend, shake, rinse, drive around, shake, rinse, etc. etc.

This morning I had about an hour of insanity as I cleaned the tank and protected from flash rust as best as possible. As you can see in the few photos I took, I got a lot of rust out of the tank, and the rust you see in the fill neck is from flash rust.

To rinse... I removed one of the covers and thoroughly drained the tank. Then rinsed with water as best I could. Replaced the cover, filled the tank with water, shook, rinsed, drained. Replaced the cover, filled with water, shook, rinsed, drained (this draining is the clear water you see in the photo with the rust in my cement mixing tub). Emptied every nut and counted to ensure I had them all. Replaced the cover and filled/rinsed with dawn and water, then drained that and did a thorough rinse with a lot of water to get the soap out. Up until most of the soap was out I kept draining the tank into my cement tub so I could see how clear/dirty it was. Then I moved to the grass and kept rinsing the tank to get the last of the soap out.

Once I was satisfied I started drying as much water as I could with a heat gun on low setting. Once I was satisfied that I had enough water removed I installed the fuel sensor and new petcock, and added about a gallon of fresh gas. I rotated the tank to ensure I covered every surface to stop the flash rust. After I determined my tank wasn't leaking, I installed it onto the bike and filled it to the rim.

I now get clear untinted fuel from my tank with a nice steady flow. It does have some surface flash rust, but it's very minimal. If you can do your last rinse with hot water that will help it evaporate faster. White vinegar is an acid, a very diluted acid. Something more powerful like muriatic acid will only take an afternoon, but white vinegar is easy to handle and dispose of. Only issue is that you have to let it work for days to a week. Do keep the paint free from the vinegar, rinse it off, and expect to have to change your fuel cap. I had a new one on the tank and it ate through the rubber seal so I will have to replace it again. I did try evaporust when I initially cleaned the tank, and it does work, but I either didn't have enough in the tank or didn't leave it in long enough or didn't rotate/shake enough. I rinsed as much as I could after that, but I still had a lot of sludge in the tank. Not rust flakes, but sludge. For me, the vinegar was cheap, easy, and did an amazing job.

I did clean my carbs again after reinstalling the fuel tank, but I'm now having issues with the bike running. I did start a new thread asking for advice on it here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62875

If you have any questions about the vinegar method feel free to ask. I'm happy with the results though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:48 pm

The SAGA continues...

My last post I was having issues with the bike running again. It started great, idled well, had good throttle response, then it warmed up and died. I adjusted the pilot screws and it started going crazy on me. So I called it a night, posted for some help on the issue I was having, and came back to it the next day.

I then reset the pilot screws to 2.25 turns out, and the bike ran great again. Good start, good idle, good throttle response, then it warmed up and died without any throttle. If I kept feathering the throttle it would keep running. I pulled the plugs and they looked really good. Then I decided to check the spark for giggles, I had the plugs out anyways. Rear cylinder first... I thought I didn't see any spark right off the bat, but I wasn't paying close attention so I ignored it. But it had spark. Front cylinder next... It had spark and a bright thick spark. Hmmm.. my rear cylinder didn't look like that, it was very thin.

So I figure out how to check the coils. Both primary windings read 4.5 Ohms, checking good. Front Secondary winding was 18ish K Ohms, good. Rear read 3.5ish M Ohms... not so good.

So I now have new coils on the way. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to go to a single fire coil or keep with the original type. Again, I'm on a budget here. I finally found a cheap single fire coil to fit a harley that would work and people have had good results. But I ultimately decided on keeping the original types and found a set that would work. They get here Saturday I hope.

While waiting I've still been researching and reading up on this type of issue (bike dying after warmed up). It can be a multitude of things, sooooo many things. But I can't really check much of them until I have this weak spark thing fixed. But then I see time and again how the TCI can go haywire when it gets warm. Figure it wouldn't hurt to look at it while I'm waiting.

So I pull my TCI out this afternoon, open it up, do some initial looking. I can't tell if the capacitors are good or not since they're covered in that goop. Decide to start checking diodes... I have 4 bad diodes so far. Decided to turn the board over and just have a look at the back, and there's evidence of corrosion on a few leads and evidence of water (particularly on the transistors).

I'm not sure if I should just replace it or try to fix it. I don't think it will be too difficult to fix. I do have a little experience working with circuit boards and all of these components are cheap and easy to replace (minus that weather resistant goop). Or should I just spend the $125 and send it off to be fixed? (Budget remember?)

So as I wait for other parts to arrive to fix my weak spark and oil leaks, I'll be thoroughly cleaning and inspecting my TCI to find out how bad it is exactly. I've attached photos of it and highlighted areas that look a little corroded and the two transistors.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:37 pm

I went over the TCI more thoroughly and my diodes are actually checking good. Mt transistors check good from what I can check while they're still in circuit. So I'm going to assume everything is good for now. I did however resolder several joints that looked sketchy.

I got my coils in today. So I will replace those to fix the weak spark, reinstall my TCI, and go from there. Hoping this solves my engine dying when warmed up issue. If not, I will be thoroughly checking connections, grounds, looking for any shorted wires, as well as checking for vacuum leaks and fuel issues again. Just keep chiseling away at it.

Also got my shift shaft seal to fix the big leak I had. And a cam chain tensioner since that was leaking, but has since seemed to stop so it will be left alone for now and I'll keep this as a spare.

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Sounds like you did well!
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:11 pm

faffi wrote:Sounds like you did well!

Almost! Not quite there yet unfortunately.

Long story, but it wasn't my coils. My rear cylinder plug cap was missing the spring internally. So spark was happening inside the cap before it got to the plug. My coils measured fine once I had the cap off.

Luckily my local repair shop had caps, and I installed the new coils anyways. The bike started easier and sounded better. Once it warmed up though same thing, wanted to die. This time though it was easier to keep it alive.

-Sprayed carb boots and lines, no change so I don't have a leak.
- Getting great voltage everywhere, battery, coils, tci, etc etc.
- gas flows really well when I drain the bowls and let them continue. Clean as a whistle.
- Plugs look healthy, maybe just a tad rich but still ok on the spark plug color chart. Not wet at all and not burning.

So I'm at a loss right now. I have 2 theories.
1) carbs need synced again since last time I adjusted that the bike was getting bad gas and I had a weak spark on the rear cylinder. I don't know if this would make it want to die though.
2) My valve lash might be too tight. I will look at them again tomorrow when the bike is cold. If I remember right they were on the tight side of the clearances. And thinking about it I didn't hear the tap tap tap when it was warm. The valves were quiet. Plus the exhaust randomly gave this weird quiet pop at times, so maybe the valves weren't quite completely closing screwing with my compression and fuel mixture. That might also explain my low compression I got last time I checked it.

Chiseling away, ever so closer. I'll change my shift shaft seal tomorrow too before I start it up again. Maybe. Haha

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:37 pm

If you have not already, hook up a strobe timing light and check for regular spark when running. Carbs must be badly out of synch to make the engine stall in my experience. And valve clearances must be about zero - have you checked compression?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Dwillems26 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:51 pm

faffi wrote:If you have not already, hook up a strobe timing light and check for regular spark when running. Carbs must be badly out of synch to make the engine stall in my experience. And valve clearances must be about zero - have you checked compression?

I haven't hooked up a timing light, but I'm pretty certain I have a good spark going now. Here's what I did today....

Exhaust valve lash was perfect at .006". Intake valves were tight, so I adjusted them to .004". While installing the plugs, I noticed the front cylinder plug cap felt like it wasn't fully engaging the plug, just seemed off. The plug cap I got was a tall one, and the chrome plastic decorative piece was in the way. I removed that piece and got a good seat with the plug cap.

Replaced my shift shaft seal. Didn't touch the cam chain tensioner, but noticed it was leaking pretty well after I was done for the day so I'll deal with that later.

Engine started easier than it did yesterday, seemed to idle better, and it held idle pretty well even when it was warm. I did slightly adjust the idle screw just a smidge because it was idling down to 700ish, but in fairness that was while there was slack on the throttle cable and idle screw was not touching the butterfly arm. I let it sit and idle for a while too, blipped the throttle and got great response every time.

Finally!!! Took it around the block a couple times, about 4 miles. The bike had a lot of power, never bogged down while in gear, sounded great, but while sitting at a light or stop sign it wanted to die again instead of idling. I got back and could keep it going by adjusting the idle screw, but it still was idling low.

So I called it a day, but I think I'm running a little rich right now. I didn't pull the plugs to look, but that's my assumption right now. my compression is a little low, but I do need to remeasure it. Last time I measured compression I had bad gas, weak spark, and tight intake valve lash so I don't believe it's a fair diagnostic. Front cylinder was 120 and rear was 90. Before I shut the bike off for the day I noticed the exhaust smelled pretty rich too.

Before I go much further though. I need to rebuild the front forks, change the oil again, and get new tires. The tires are holding air, but I wouldn't trust them more than 20 mph and close to home (manufacture date on the tires is 2000). I did get the bike up to 40 though and it still had a lot of power!

Dwillems26
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PreviousNext

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700