Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Carbs - too rich or lean?

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Carbs - too rich or lean?

PostAuthor: IanP » Mon May 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi all. I'm hoping you can all shed some light on a possible cause for my issue. Now if it were a consistent thing - I'd have a chance, but out of my depth (so though I'd ask the experts :bg: )

When cold, the bike starts "ok", but only with only a tiny bit of choke ... any more than say 1/8th choke and it just bogs and gasps for air ... so it's a little rich on idle when cold I'd say.

When the bike is warm - it runs fine, but I notice when I stop and let it idles (traffic lights, etc), the idle is very erratic and sometimes dies (and struggles a little to start again), but I notice through trial and error that when the idle is dying, if I give it a bit of choke, the idle picks back up - so I think idling lean when hot??

So what would cause the bike to idle slightly rich when cold, but then too lean when hot - I don't get it??

I've re-jetted (main jets) for a new air-filter + the after market exhaust the previous owner put on the bike - and have it running pretty well - accelerates fine with no bogging and just the odd pop on deceleration - so think the main jets are fine - but have not touched the idle jets (as advised by the Jadus guys in their instructions).

Before giving in and taking it to a garage, any one have any ideas?

Cheers all!

IanP
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: Carbs - too rich or lean?

PostAuthor: Bern » Mon May 10, 2021 2:54 pm

Sounds to me like you have partially blocked idle jets bud

Bern
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 xv 535 Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: IanP » Tue May 11, 2021 12:36 am

Thanks for reply. The reason I'm confused is that I was thinking it should run lean when cold also if the idle jets are a bit blocked shouldn't it? I'll take them out and take a look though, give them a clean.

The idle jets are up inside the jet body thing right? unlike the main jet which screwed into it from the outside? I was thinking that the upper screw was the pilot jet - but it has no hole in the screw, so not sure exactly what that is either :-) ... I'm struggling to find any guides to which gets are which as on a couple of vids,I see there are 3 jets inside there? Could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks v much.

IanP
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: continentalgt » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Don't know if you sorted it but the link here may help you

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... carburetor

continentalgt
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 Yamaha Virago 535s