VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Exhaust gaskets?

Cut it, Bend it, Weld it, Pack it.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Exhaust gaskets?

PostAuthor: afmuir » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:09 am

Hi - replacing the back end of the 1994 750 exhaust with another pipe, not sure what, came with the bike, and a question, do you normally need exhaust gasket at the cylinder or will it seal well enough without? And if it needs one, could I use some of that instant gasket? thanks.

afmuir
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Exhaust gaskets?

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:42 am

afmuir wrote: do you normally need exhaust gasket at the cylinder

Absolutely...and be sure to dig out your old one, first. It may not look like there is one there, cuz it will be all blackened and flat, but if you use something like a sharpened screwdriver or the like, you'll be able you get under it and lift it out.

Doesn't have to be from here, but just to show ya what it is: https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xv750-1994 ... eg1461300/
Last edited by Flyingdog on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: afmuir » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 am

excellent resource thanks! I'm in the UK but will see what sources there are here. What about the instant gasket stuff, could you get away with that if you didn't have a gasket, which I don't?

afmuir
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:35 am

:yup:

I believe they're called "crushable" gaskets - not easily reused.
IIRC the last ones I replaced (long time ago) looked like flattened, very-thin-walled copper tubing.

not having them will effect performance and sound and 'tidiness' in general.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike:_ --- or not :fan: - the bad just seems to last longer...

Any day above ground is a good day. sooo "Laissez les bon temps roulez". just roll safely --->

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."... Confucius*

"If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you do read the news you are misinformed."
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”
...Thomas Paine - 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine alone and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members,
so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:33 am

afmuir wrote:What about the instant gasket stuff, could you get away with that if you didn't have a gasket, which I don't?

I sure wouldn't try it on a motorcycle exhaust-to-head connection. Problem with that stuff, most of it will squeeze out and is not as stable as a solid gasket. There's a reason why there's a solid gasket rather than the flimsy gasket maker. Specially on "motorcycle" exhaust pipes.
And...I would suspect, if you did use just a liquid gasket maker, if/and when you did start using the correct gasket there, I highly doubt to would be a good seal on the #1 head, as it would be pretty difficult to dig out all the material in that rear head. But do whatcha wanna do..just remember, there's reasons why manufacturers do what they do.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: afmuir » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:35 am

ok folks, thanks for the advice. I'll need to source one.

afmuir
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: afmuir » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:00 pm

Actually another question as everyone is so helpful! See this pic which shows part of the rear exhaust fitting into the front exhaust. Would you use some sort of exhaust sleeve on this or what? Doesn't look as if it takes a clamp. The main rear to front connection looks normal and takes a clamp, but this is an extra smaller pipe which slips into the front.

IMG_3545.jpg

thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

afmuir
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm

I realize you're in the U.K., but these are O.E.M. Yamaha part numbers. The gaskets you'll need are items 2, and 17 from this diagram, and I'd recommend you also purchase a new "split ring", item14, for ease of assembly. It's actually not supposed to be in two pieces; you could get away with using the two pieces on the front, but because the rear pipe is difficult to get at, juggling the ring, gasket, flange and nuts is easier with a one-piece ring in my opinion. Also, clean up that flange really well, especially the inside and the holes for the bolts; any clearance you can get between the parts will only make it easier to properly position things on re-assembly. Parts diagram (Partzilla is U.S.A. but the numbers should be good at any Yamaha dealer, I think) :
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... 0f/exhaust
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:26 pm

Cusstout 1100 wrote: (Partzilla is U.S.A. but the numbers should be good at any Yamaha dealer, I think) :

CMS seems to use Yamaha numbers besides their own catalog'n ones. Hell, while back ago I seem to remember even Niche Cycle (on Ebay) had them for $5 ea.

From CMS site:

description
fits:
Yamaha
product number:
3EG1461300
CMS product number:
YA0012.5661
To make sure no exhaust gases escape before entering the Exhaust Pipe renew this Gasket whenever the pipe is removed and re-fitted.
Expensive as gaskets go - but don't skimp by re-using the old one!
Leaking exhausts cause the motor to run too hot with the very real potential for mechanical damage!
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: afmuir » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm

thanks, gasket ordered. Now if anyone can tell me how to seal that small pipe in the pic above that would be good!

afmuir
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:43 pm

that doesn't look like an exhaust system I've ever dealt with & I'm a bit disoriented by the pic, but I think in that use, the hi-temp silicone could be used -
perhaps if needed, with window screen material (copper or aluminum) reinforcing wrap "condom" & hose clamp?

the tapered end apparently mates into the slightly flared opposite pipe. that joint lacks the pressure stress the previous one [@ head] has, but does need to sealed and secure enough that vibration/flexing
doesn't allow leak.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike:_ --- or not :fan: - the bad just seems to last longer...

Any day above ground is a good day. sooo "Laissez les bon temps roulez". just roll safely --->

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."... Confucius*

"If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you do read the news you are misinformed."
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”
...Thomas Paine - 1776 December 23

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine alone and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members,
so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.

mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Not sure if it's the same, but if you revert back to cusstout's link, looks to be a gasket collar and clamp. Suppose you could put couple 1"-1 1/2" or so slices in the female portion ( of coarse @ 180° of each other), goop up the male section with exhaust form-a-gasket or something and join them together via fairly heavy duty clamp. Or......just get an aftermarket exhaust system...Problem solved! :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:44 pm

I just dug out the rear exhaust pipe left from the chopper project ('85 750) and it's the same as the one in your picture. The gasket is that shown as illustration #2 in the Partzilla diagram that I linked previously. It's a "copper-clad" gasket similar in construction to the other gasket at the head, except cylindrical - actually still on the pipe I dug out of storage. So you need that gasket and the clamp also shown in that link, or some other substantial clamp at that joint. I bought one from a local truck repair shop - I think they call them "band clamps" - cheaper than from Yamaha for another bike I was working on.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Motorcycle Pipe Works Exhaust Shop