VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Oil changes Hot vs Cold

Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips! http://Virago.Ninja
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Oil changes Hot vs Cold

PostAuthor: KBear » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:51 am

This article was/is in my subscription to RW and thought I would share it with you. I too used to change my oils only after I've warmed up the engine. I don't any more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KBear
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 XV920 Midnight Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Oil changes Hot vs Cold

PostAuthor: Bodo750 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:15 am

Thanks a lot KBear! I did the almost the same experiment this spring before going on the road for the new season. Results made me happy and from now on I prefer to use this so called cold draining method. Some other guys say that the difference between hot and cold is not more than 50 mililiters, which is not that much of importance- but still brings smile on the mechanic's face. As I prefer to do maintenance on the bike myself I am satisfied with results.
Bodo750
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 Virago xv 750/4FY

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:27 am

Very interesting. I let my oil drain much longer than 4 minutes, though, which may change the results a little, but good to know you can just as well drain the oil cold.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: KBear » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:13 am

Bodo750 wrote:Thanks a lot KBear! I did the almost the same experiment this spring before going on the road for the new season. Results made me happy and from now on I prefer to use this so called cold draining method. Some other guys say that the difference between hot and cold is not more than 50 mililiters, which is not that much of importance- but still brings smile on the mechanic's face. As I prefer to do maintenance on the bike myself I am satisfied with results.
You are very welcome for the article. For years I've always drained my oils only after heating up the engine. However, I've always wondered if it was really necessary to do so. This article answered that question and I won't be traveling down that road again. Nice to know that someone actually performed an experiment to justify changing the oil when cold. Now, changing your oil cold won't be for everyone. Most are very hard pressed to move away from doing it the way they've done it for so long that they will never change their motorcycle oils (or any oil for that matter) any other way but hot.

faffi wrote:Very interesting. I let my oil drain much longer than 4 minutes, though, which may change the results a little, but good to know you can just as well drain the oil cold.
I let my oil drain far longer than 4 minutes as well. The 4 minute barrier was just for the tests they were running on the oil changes. There's no need to get hung up on the 4 minute timing.

Here's what I wrote on someone elses forum:
"Few weeks ago I changed the oil in one of my motorcycles. Got a glass of tea, turned on the music in the garage, it was already on the center stand and proceeded to drain the cold oil from the bike. Once the oil was drained I placed a small shim under the right side leg of the center stand to allow for a full drain and went about my business. Was very nice not to have to heat up the engine and go that full route. I know this doesn't work for everyone because it's been so ingrained into us to heat the engine up before an oil drain, but for me I'm finished with that and I'm very comfortable with it. The comfort I feel is in the fact that I haven't pumped up a significant amount of contaminates up threw the engine to have them settle within the upper end. When I make plans to change the oil in one of my bikes, it's not as though I'm a part of a pit crew challenging myself to find out how fast I can drain the oil out of the engine. It's really all about taking my time and doing it the best way I can not the fastest way. For a lot of you this won't make any sense but for me it's very liberating to know that I really don't need to perform an oil change the way I've done it so many times before. I've learned a new way to perform a task now relegated to the past. Time to move forward."

I was told to do what allows you to sleep at night. Well, I can tell you I sleep very well with this decision. One statement I've really had a difficult time understanding - "That's the way we've always done it." If that's the case you'll never move forward.
KBear
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 XV920 Midnight Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Ninja - Wrenchin' Secrets & Help Tips