Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Original XV 750 SE

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Original XV 750 SE

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:20 am

There can be only ONE...

After looking around the internet, searching for a way to get an eye catching ride. I have found a lot of Viragos built like choppers, bobbers and café racers. Always trying to hide the origin of the asian beauty.

In my work as a precision CNC operator I have learned to appreciate a good workmanship. Some how discussion about quality and precision always seem to end up in Asia. Good and Bad, China and Japan.

I often wonder why one build a sports bike out of a perfect road traveler / cruiser. The XV 750 is probably the bike who saved HD from a certain death. Forcing the American motor company back to the drawing board to create a better ride.

Our brand, xv classic model, is fading. Due to custom bike trends. In a short period of time there will be now more xv750 (81-83) around. I feel there is a reason to lift the brand to where it belong, a "Classic brand". This is the reason why I start this tread.

My project is a XV 750 SE '83 in good condition. I have ridden it 3000km this summer. During this winter I will put a lot of effort in re painting the bike. The engine is in good condition. The TCI unit is upgraded. The carbs are utrasonic cleaned. Right now the bike is stripped and some parts are al ready painted.
I will put up some photos as the work progress.

The bike "naked" ready for work.
A tip: If you are going to dismount the bike completely, place the complete bike on a stand. Put a support under the engine and dismount the bike. Leave the engine on the support. I tried to dismount the engine from the frame and had a heavy piece of motor on my hands. Hard work. Lift the frame instead. :bg:

Engine cleaned ready for paint. (Yes I know, I don't need to do it, but there is a scratch here and there...)

"I don't follow the crowd, I drive a Yamaha"
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 xv750 Special
Sex: Male

Re: Original XV 750 SE

PostAuthor: Null [o c t o r] » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:33 am

Mattias Gustafsson wrote:There can be only ONE...

. . . . Always trying to hide the origin of the asian beauty.
. . . I often wonder why one build a sports bike out of a perfect road traveler / cruiser. The XV 750 is probably the bike who saved HD from a certain death. Forcing the American motor company back to the drawing board to create a better ride.
. . . Our brand, xv classic model, is fading. Due to custom bike trends. In a short period of time there will be now more xv750 (81-83) around. I feel there is a reason to lift the brand to where it belong, a "Classic brand". This is the reason why I start this tread.
. . .

I don't want to clutter up your post, but I agree with you.
Nice thread, I will enjoy looking in on your project.
PS. nice clean engine.

Null [o c t o r]
Null Post Error
Null Post Error

Flag
Bike year & model: '000

PostAuthor: Streetmedik » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Why paint the engine?? it looks great. Looks better than mine.

Also can you give some more detail on your upgraded TCI?
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700 ENGINEcycle

˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʞıq ɹnoʎ ǝpıɹ ʇ,uop

Streetmedik
Mod
Mod

Location: Henryetta, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster .... Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV700N Virago (138,500 miles and counting (222,894 km)) <<i equitare, ergo sum>>

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi folks

Thanks for your replies. Comments are welcome. :):

As I said the bike is in good condition. But, I want that eye catcher, the bike that bring the viewer back 30 years in time.
During this summer I have often found myself in discussion with teenagers asking all sorts of things about the bike. The coming generation of bikers doesn't care if the bike is made in US or Jpn or Ger. They want a story, legend or independent work of art.

The front of the engine has taken some pounding from the hammering grit behind the front wheel. The front of the cylinder, as well as the exhaust down tube, need some refreshing. The space between the cylinders sufers from heat pealing= repaint. I have found a good quality hot paint here in Sweden, Auto-K motor paint. Lots and lots of metallic flakes and some clear. Makes a good smooth surface.

TCI unit: look in "electronics". I have made a thread about my experience by uppgrading my TCI. Carmo electronics, avilable on both sides of the atlantic. The charge for a new TCI from my local Yamaha store was 1000USD :ops: Yes, I did type it properly. It helped me make my desicion.

Side covers. Metallic red +3 layers of clear...

Engine (starting with the under side, starting to get the feel fore it)

Image Image

...not drunk at all, la la lalla. :r:
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: 86bigred » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:12 am

Nice, keep us posted. And keep the pics comming.
86bigred
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 82 xv750 virago

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:41 pm

I like the stock 1100. If it was my bike id make it stock original. My bike looks the way it did in 86 and I get compliments all the time. Greg

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Sunday evening, sitting and waiting for more snow. During this weekend i really got things going. Engine is painted, even more painting, and painting :;:

I don't know if the following are of interest? The bike last summer:

...as I said, it's a cute bike. What I want is to preserve the bike as it is.

I have spent a few days cleaning the engine, masking and preparing for the paint job. I have chosen a paint resistant to 200 degrees Celcius. It should stand up just fine. After a few runs of wet in wet, it's time to uncover the masking.

The result turned out well.

Some metallic chips are standing above the paint, causing a ruff surface. When the paint is hardened a piece of steel wool will help the problem.

Next step in my project is the gas tank. I have sanded it down and will paint it in a clean environment. I have had some problems with dust in the clear coat.
I will use a 2 component clear as it is resistant to oil and gasoline. Swing arm and shaft drive is waiting in the cold garage.

Due to the fact that I'm putting a lot of effort on this bike I will fit an extension on the front fender. Anyone have any ideas of what to use? I might make one myself, but I'm willing to listen to any eBay expert. :;:
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Streetmedik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 pm

A friend of mine has a "mud flap" attached to his front fender.. He bought a cheap plain black mud flap made for a small pickup truck and cut it to size and shape he wanted. Attached it to the lower edge of the fender with some stainless steel bolts,nuts and washers.

Streetmedik
Mod
Mod

Location: Henryetta, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster .... Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV700N Virago (138,500 miles and counting (222,894 km)) <<i equitare, ergo sum>>

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Mattias Gustafsson wrote:
TCI unit: look in "electronics". I have made a thread about my experience by uppgrading my TCI. Carmo electronics,

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=35997&p=313354#p313354

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Streetmedik wrote:A friend of mine has a "mud flap" attached to his front fender.. He bought a cheap plain black mud flap made for a small pickup truck and cut it to size and shape he wanted. Attached it to the lower edge of the fender with some stainless steel bolts,nuts and washers.

...Just what I was thinking about, mate!
Hard to drill the crome fender?
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Streetmedik » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:11 pm

That is why I use titanium drill bits...those buggers will drill almost anything. Use a good sharp center punch to set the centers for where you will drill.

Streetmedik
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: gregkw1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:41 pm

Would like to know the silver engine paint U used. Greg

gregkw1
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 1100 Blk/Gold Gold edition

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 am

The paint I use on the motor is called AutoK motor paint. It is heat resistant up to about 200 degrees celsius . It should be able to handle the engine temperature. I can't guarantee it will hold together, I have to start the engine and make a test drive to know.
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 pm

As I have described in earlier posts the tank is prepared for new paint. Once up on a time this bike fell over. Probably at a very young age. The effort put in to fix the damage is of very good quality. All dents are removed, the tank is smoothed with a thin layer of bondo. Painted in silver metallic, covered with a single layer of candy red. On top clear, 3 gold stripes are painted, more clear. -A professional master piece, but full of scratches. Some people will hate me for this but today it looks a little bit different...

The tank is not completely straight. The risk of doing more damage by trying to bend the structure was far to great. I'm quite happy with having a tank completely free from rust.

The paint I will use is a 1 component metallic red. No premium quality. I have test painted the side covers with good result. I will cover the paint with a premium quality 2 component clear. I might do some small tasteful airbrushing effect on the tank. Keep your fingers crossed during the weekend.
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:04 pm

After a warm weekend I am pretty satisfied with my job painting the tank. The paints worked fine and a 3 layer clear coat make the tank shine like the morning sun :)

Because of the success I won't make any effects on the tank. I will now spend the winter looking for new tank emblems. If anyone have knowledge about which bikes share the XV emblem I would be pleased to know. The distance between the holes are 10,5 millimeter.

Looks good under the Christmas tree :bg:
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:47 am

Longing for summer. Just a few more months of winter, snow and rain.

The work is progressing. I'm just about to paint the last parts on the bike. It has been a tuff job, arms aching and sore fingers are telling the story.
The workshop in the seller holds the swing and side/center stands. I have used the same paint on all silver metallic parts. The temperature and oil resistance of the paint speaks for it's favor.

As time goes by I have wondered if I am a little crazy: the backside of the petcocks were a bit soggy, so I polished them up.

Clear coat on aluminum is a "Crime" ! A good portion of paint stripper got the work going. Unfortunately I used a sand paper good enough, more than enough to polish the surface. Got me a lot of extra work. One days work, 10 hours, to get rid of the scratch marks. Finally, a mirror like finish. The luster of polished alu really stands out. Much warmer than chrome and stainless steel.

Forgot to take a picture of the result. I will give you a picture "before and after" due to the fact I only finished one leg so far.

Plans for the summer: me, bike +friends circling Denmark for a looooong weekend. Happy New Year :db: :bg:
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Null [o c t o r] » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:05 pm

The paint I use on the motor is called AutoK motor paint. It is heat resistant up to about 200 degrees celsius . It should be able to handle the engine temperature. I can't guarantee it will hold together, I have to start the engine and make a test drive to know.

I don't know if it is the same or if you've read the fine print . . . so please excuse me if I say as a tip, most heat paints need to be cured properly, IE: first use - run engine at an idle for 10 minutes let cool for 20 - run engine for 20 minutes, let cool, etc.

Because of the success I won't make any effects on the tank. I will now spend the winter looking for new tank emblems. If anyone have knowledge about which bikes share the XV emblem I would be pleased to know.

AWESOME nice job on the paint, well done.

Null [o c t o r]
Null Post Error
Null Post Error

Flag
Bike year & model: '000

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Doc!

Fortunately the engine paint I use is not a "true" hot paint. It doesn't need to be heated up to fully cure. It resist heat up to 200 degrees C, compared to heat curing paint resistant up to about 400-600 degrees C. Thank's any way.

As I wrote earlier, I'm preparing the last parts. The rear tail grab, or what it's called, and the mounts for the back frame. When they're painted I will start reassemble the bike. Lots of pictures are coming up... During the reassembling I will do some minor adjustments on the rest of the bike. I want the bike assembled so I can value the needs for further restoration. -I can hardly wait to see the result of the paint job so far. :cl:

...ops, forgot I have one more leg to polish. Elbow is aching ;)
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Stopped by my local motorcycle dealer today. Reason: by an oil filter. Of course I made a "fly by" in their garage. Looking at the new bikes and the old ones. My eyes fell on a new HD painted in their new flake paint, red, just what I was planing to use in the beginning. The tank was plain flake paint, now lines or decoration. I didn't like it. The flake was to dominant. Like a flash in your eyes. I am quite thankful that I didn't use flake paint on my bike. The best flake paint jobs I have seen have been heavily decorated with shades, lines and candy. I realized what skills it takes to make a perfect paint job.

In Sweden we have a word not found in any other languages: "lagom"

The meaning of "lagom" is found deep in the Swedish mythology. The Vikings always shared their drink around the table. Cups and glasses were rare and expensive. The common drinking cup was for that reason a little bigger than usual. One person drank from the cup and handed it on to the next person around the table. One couldn't drink to much, there was some place at the table were the cup was filled and passed on. You never drank more than your share, passed the cup to your neighbor. When the cup had made a full circle round the table it was filled again and was passed on another round.

"Lagom": not too much, not too little.
The word is used in all kinds of situations. Flake paint is "over the top", metallic is "lagom".

My choice of paint was "lagom" :bg:
Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Mattias Gustafsson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Time to do some work.

After a few months of tearing things apart it's time to see if they fit together. I have taken the opportunity to look at the front steering stem. To my "suprise" I noticed two balls were missing in the bearings. During this summer I have experiensed a small "knock" as I brake hard. A visit to my bike shop, two balls, case closed.

Back bone and front suspension will rest a while. The rest of the parts are lining up in the workshop.

Rear swing mounted, twice :) forgot to mount the rubber damask to the drive shaft. Progress is slow, paint is fragile.

It's cold, freezing actually. The grease was causing a lot of problems when fitting the wheel to the swingarm.
My father giving me a helping hand mounting the carbs.

Bike waiting for better weather. -So am I.

Mattias Gustafsson
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Next

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration