Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

VIN lookup, and 750 vs. 920

How many were made? What did my bike come equipped with from the factory? Questions, Answers and more!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

VIN lookup, and 750 vs. 920

PostAuthor: joeydokey » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:32 pm

Hey folks. I’m looking to buy a new Virago. First off, not sure if I should be looking for a 920 or 750. Would like to hear your opinions two, and pros and cons of each.
Second, a guy nearby is selling one. He claims it’s an 83 and he was told it was an 1100. I didn’t think they made that size, that year. It has a VIN of JYA4X7003BA017597. Can’t figure out what engine size it is.
Thanks!

joeydokey
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: N/A
Sex: Male

Re: VIN lookup, and 750 vs. 920

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:51 pm

My VIN checks say it’s a 1981 XV750, and no the 1100 wasn’t available until 1986. It is possible that someone installed an 1100 on an ‘81 frame.

750 or 920, not much difference except power.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: None

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:31 pm

As far as I know the 750 is the same "Gen 1" in 1981, 1982 , 1983

The 920 came out in 1982, as the first XV with a Virago name on the side cover, it was very different than the 750, it had a bigger engine for once, as well as  different fork with air assist and 4 level of damping and double disc brakes, it had a adjustable aluminum handlebar, a digital instrument cluster "cycom" , slash cut mufflers, squarelights front and rear, as well as square turn signals,

In 1983 the 920 was very different, it became a " 750 look alike", with only a different tank and a bigger engine, everything else was the same as the 750, as they were waiting for the new completely different design 1984 XV 1000 - "Gen 2" , with a different  starter system, from the EU TR1 and one piece frame with double shocks on the rear. that now had a 15" wheel, instead of Gen 1 with a 16 "on the rear. 

They all have engine size on the bottom of the cylinders, unless they were filled of, so it will say 920 or 981 I believe. 
1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special - Happy wrench time, thanks everybody, I enjoy this community, hi from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: Denmark NE - former Canadian-Calgary - MARADAtech - Hotel Brinkly - gterik@gmail.com Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special, 1982 Yamaha XV920J 10L Virago (first Year)

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

:yup:

at the base of the cylinder just above the crankcase you'll find a cast-in number.
on the 750 [IIRC] it says 748? 749? - any I ever saw were just less than 750 ... ditto 700 or 920 or 1000 or 1100.

works out to Volume = (h) x (pi=3.14) x (radius - times itself) per cylinder or V= stroke x bore (+/- they usually round it 'up' a bit) :con:

JMO: which-ever Gen-II ['86-'99] would be my 1st choice.
Only because it is getting harder to find good cheap, NOS parts for Gen-I and '84-'85 transition to Gen-II (US-xv1000), NTM the "after-market" parts supply for early XV was never huge.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike:_ --- or not :fan: - the bad just seems to last longer...

Any day above ground is a good day. sooo "Laissez les bon temps roulez". just roll safely --->

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."... Confucius*

"If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you do read the news you are misinformed."
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”
...Thomas Paine - 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine alone and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members,
so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - History / Restoration