VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Restaurant construction progress

Our friends to the North!
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Restaurant construction progress

PostAuthor: Callan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:12 pm

For any of you who are interested to see, here's a couple of pics of the initial construction that's been going on at my soon-to-be-open restaurant. Descriptions under each pic.

This is shortly after we signed the deal with the landlord. Not much done at all, just the opening for the patio being opened up on the left ahead of them doing the framing.

A view of the new elevations. The sign fronts onto Ontario's major highway, the 401, and now is virtually impossible to miss from both east and westbound lanes.

Closer. You can see they've completed the framing and windows for the patio door on the left.

This is where the main entrance will be. The guy was just finishing up the double doors.

My biggest complaint has been the fact that the receiving doors are lower than the main floor of the restaurant, so it's gonna be a pain in the @$$ to get my deliveries up these stairs. Oh well..

From the inside, looking toward what's going to be the front of the restaurant. They've dug the trenches and installed the sanitation pipes for the washrooms.

Just another look towards the front. There will be 180 seats in this place, plus 20 seats on the patio.

If anyone's interested, I'll post more pics as the work is being done right up til our opening :)
<br>
1985 Virago XV500
"Be who you are and say how you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"
<p>
Callan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: yamaguzzi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:24 pm

hey c: congrats on an awesome endeavor...at 24 you must really have your head on straight to take on such a project,,,there is no harder work than feeding the public, they must eat,,and they eat what tastes best,,,have you an idea of what you plan to offer? keep us posted,,whats your address there at the restaurant and a timeline as to when you are opening,,,,,good luck yg
95xv1100
44,000 miles

yamaguzzi
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2000 HD Heritage Softail Classic
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: usmc_dad_0341 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:24 pm

What's for Supper?

Chief
1986, 1100 - P901 Intake, HSr40 Carb, HD Chrome controls, HD Buckhorns, pullbacks
usmc_dad_0341
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: grazingazer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:40 pm

long as your not servin' roadkill the resteraunt otta be a success...all the luck in the world to ya callan...it looks like you've got your work cut out for you
if you're asking for help please include the year and model of the bike in your signature
then turn your signature on

my bike is a modified 1981 virago xv75012927the rockabilly rat
grazingazer
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: modified 1981 xv750 virago...1975 650 xsb

PostAuthor: Callan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Thanks for the support guys. It's already been a long and arduous process to get this far. I've been planning to start my own place since I decided I didn't want to do any more school, and although I had the mind to get something going completely from scratch, I elected to go with a franchise to learn the ropes. This particular brand is sweeping Canada by storm and there is a line of 25 people behind me waiting for a location, so I'm glad to be this far along.

I'm not doing it 100% alone. Both my parents are planning to put in a few hours a week to help out, and they've set me up for this financially by mortgaging the house and whatnot. I don't plan on making them labourers. Maybe 20 hrs/week if they like, that's all.

The food is breakfast & lunch centred. For the canucks on the board, the name of the franchise is Cora's/Chez Cora. We serve all the regular stuff - bacon, eggs, sausage, steak, etc, but our focus isn't just on that stuff, but also a lot of fresh fruit, crepes, waffles, etc. So for example, if you order an Eggs Benedict, you'd get your eggs served on an english muffin with either ham, asparagus, or mushrooms, swiss or brie cheese, lots of hollandaise sauce, and then to top it off we give you home fries and cover literally half the plate in a carefully presented fruit montage. There are tonnes of healthy options, which helps considering we're almost right beside one of the biggest fitness clubs east of Toronto.

The address is:

1755 Pickering Parkway
Pickering, ON
L1V 6K5

Our projected opening date is between April 14th and 24th.

Here's a not-so-great picture of one of the meals we serve. Not exactly to franchise spec, but not awful looking

<br>
1985 Virago XV500
"Be who you are and say how you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"
<p>
Callan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:12 pm

cool keep us posted
The " Mistress " done

THE MORE HAIR YOU LOSE ... THE MORE HEAD YOU GET ....

I Lied to get the JOB they lied about the JOB .. So we are even

Bike is as always For Sale

EX-WIFE FOR SALE ... JUST TAKE OVER PAYMENTS

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 Xv920J

PostAuthor: Matthew » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Well pics of real food never look as good as fake food that they use for the big chain commercials.

There is a local polish food place and on TV the food looks grey and icky but it just doesn't photo well.
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Re: Restaurant construction progress

PostAuthor: eaglebeak » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Bravo Callan - good luck on your great step forward. I'm in there with YG in being amazed at your managing such an endeavor at 24. Hell, at 24, my thought processes were under complete control of Moe, Curley, and Larry while my financial portfolio limited immediate business prospects to what color my front-yard Kool-Aid stand was going to be :con:

EB
1986 XV-700SS - "Bad Girl"
eaglebeak
Platinum Membership
Platinum Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 XV-700SS

PostAuthor: yamaguzzi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:39 pm

lol at 24 hmmmm same here eb and for many years to come,,,,sean,,the plan sounds great and the menu sounds fantastic,,,,"anybody tempted to make a trip to Cora's chez Cora?"yg
95xv1100
44,000 miles

yamaguzzi
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Callan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:26 am

Hehehe YG, you and everyone else are always welcome at Cora's Pickering! i can just see the landloard's face if 20 old, loud motorcycles came cruising in for breakfast. LOL

As far as having my had on my shoulders, I wouldn't go that far. Just try to do things with as much common sense as possible really. It's worked for me so far :)
<br>
1985 Virago XV500
<p>
Callan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: jgc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:56 am

do you serve grits it aint breakfast with out them
:spank: :burnout: 1982 xv 750 1986 1100 1989 flh electra glide

jgc
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: yamaguzzi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:01 am

it would be really cool if we could come for a visit,,carry on,,yg
95xv1100
44,000 miles

yamaguzzi
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Callan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:22 am

Matthew";p="89656 wrote:Well pics of real food never look as good as fake food that they use for the big chain commercials.

Actually you would be surprised at this place. It puts a big emphasis on presentation, and the above picture isn't how it's meant to be presented. The food looks incredible when it's done right.

And sorry to say jgc, but no grits. Not really all that popular here, to be honest. A few mom & papp shops serve grits, but none of the bigger breakfast chains
<br>
1985 Virago XV500
<p>
Callan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: mikel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:15 am

That's incredible Callan...my in-laws live in Ajax so I'll be sure to drop in for some crepes this spring. Give us a heads-up when you open the doors. You'll have at least one old fart show up on a loud motorcycle.
I know running a buisness means long hour but you be sure to take some mental time off at least once in awhile...get on you bike for a couple hours and enjoy. All the best bro.
Ride safe,
Mike

86 XV750

"I was born at night but it wasn't last night"
mikel
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 750

PostAuthor: Bryan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Next thing we will be seeing on you TV .
Way to follow the dream, congratulation !

Bryan
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: Callan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:51 am

LOL I wouldn't go that far, Bryan. I've got a face made for radio.

Thanks for the support all. With the good comes the bad of course. Today we had a bit of a setback. Got a call from the franchisor, they told us that part of the floor near where the sanitation pipes had been installed has started to cave in a bit, so it's likely they'll have to rip out all the original cement, compress and top up the backfill, then re-lay... pushes us back a good 2 weeks. Crappy
<br>
1985 Virago XV500
<p>
Callan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: jgc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:00 am

good things come to those that wait better to do it right now that when you are open
:spank: :burnout: 1982 xv 750 1986 1100 1989 flh electra glide

jgc
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: Callan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:48 pm

You're right about that jgc, because right now, the cost of fixing this is on the landlord. His structural engineer buggered up, and obviously didn't check the soundness of the concrete properly. Let him foot the bill!! If it means I'll be trouble free down the road, what's a week or two!?
<br>
1985 Virago XV500
<p>
Callan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: grazingazer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 pm

make sure they use felt in there callan...so the concrete doesn't crack with climate changes
if you're asking for help please include the year and model of the bike in your signature
then turn your signature on

my bike is a modified 1981 virago xv75012927the rockabilly rat
grazingazer
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: modified 1981 xv750 virago...1975 650 xsb

PostAuthor: Callan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:30 am

Well judging by their description of the problem, it doesn't sound like the concrete cracking was the issue. More that the landlord didn't shore up the hole he made for the sanitation work and as such the backfill loosened up.

If they build it to code, they'll need rebar ever 14" plus steel lathe because of the span with no joints. it'll be strong, that's for sure, so long as the mix is good
<br>
1985 Virago XV500
<p>
Callan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Next

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Tech Canada