VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Wreckers in Australia for early Viragos

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Wreckers in Australia for early Viragos

PostAuthor: Matty_'81_XV750 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Aussie,

I had made a post in the Parts Find section of the Forum but at this stage have had very little response. Being in Australia, I thought you may be able to help me.

I am considering upgrading my 81 XV750 to the second gen starting system as per this link - The ONLY permanent starter fix. Step 1 - but am having trouble locating wreckers that can help with parts. I was wondering if you have any names of wreckers in the country that may be able to help.

One helpful VTF member has offered to ship me the parts from the States, but I fear this will be a costly exercise. However, I will consider that if I cant find anyone in the country to help.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Kind regards,
Matt.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My rides:
81 Yamaha XV 750
02 Honda CT110

Matty_'81_XV750
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Aussiexv1100 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:03 pm

G'day Matt,
I don't know of any specific wreckers that can help you out with Virago parts, I guess it is a matter of searching online and maybe Yellow Pages for wreckers, then phoning around to track the parts down.

Don't discount ebay, although Oz ebay usually doesn't have much in the way of parts for XVs. USA ebay is always a good source of parts, as there is always plenty of XV stuff, but as the starters are a weak link in the Viragos, good starter parts are usually well sought after.

As the Ozzy Pacso is getting back up around 80 cents to the US $, and sellers are not wanting to rip you off on shipping (postal) costs, then some good bargains can be had.

There are 3 rates of international shipping from the US, and for some unknown reason, the most expensive rate is often quoted as the shipping cost. The dearest method can sometimes be more than 3 times the cost of shipping as compared to the cheapest method, and might only take about an extra week to arrive in Oz.

If I see something listed on ebay I'm interested in and the dearest shipping method is quoted, I email the seller and ask them if they are interested in using the cheaper method and quite often they email back saying "yeah, no problem" and will quote a revised shipping cost, usually about 1/3 of the dearest shipping method. This greatly helps to keeps the total cost down.

But to totally change to the 2nd gen starter system, is going to be a costly exercise, unless you strike it lucky somehow.
Aussie
It's a lazy man that won't find his wife a second job.

When in doubt, it is usually best to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
rather than foolishly open ones mouth, and remove any doubt.
[author unknown]
Aussiexv1100
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: I ride a '98 XV 1100
It's not a poor mans harley,
it's a wise mans harley!
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Matty_'81_XV750 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks Aussie,

I really appreciate your reply.

I'll keep on the the eternal search!