Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

wheel rim substitutions

• Advertisement

Post a reply

wheel rim substitutions

PostAuthor: tamigon » Thu May 20, 2021 6:40 pm

I have a xv920 just bought, am refurbishing. I am a short female and wondered, in order to shorten my bike, would it be possible to get a 16 inch rim for the front. would this match up with rotor spacing for the dual disc brakes. would it have the same rotor bolt pattern as the 19 inch now in use? Need replies soon please, am dying to get on the road!!!!!

tamigon
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha virago xv920
Sex: Female

Re: wheel rim substitutions

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu May 20, 2021 9:52 pm

:VTF:

Please add your location to your profile so no one has to ask in the future. With members all over the globe, some info is geographically specific.

Add your location at this link to your User Control Panel

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri May 21, 2021 2:59 am

Of all the 16in wheels made throughout history, you may find a 16in wheel that will bolt right up, but there are none that I am aware of. And definitely not with the wheel style that you have on your bike. But my best bet would be the front wheel off the YX600 Radian. Different design, but twin disc. You can compare part numbers for wheel bearings at www.partzilla.com to learn if they have the same axle diameter, but whether the discs are spaced the same or not I cannot tell.

There is also a member here who make 16in conversions using the rear wheel, but AFAIK the kit is for the single disc fork and may require additional adaption to work with your twin disc setup.

Note that if you fit a 90/90-19 front tire, it will have virtually the same height/diameter as a 130/90-16. If you use a 110/90-16 tire, you will drop the front about 3/4 inch, which is still not a lot. Personally, I would rather drop the forks an inch or 1.5 inches through the triple clamps and perhaps reduce preload a little as well, giving me a much lower bike at no cost. Also, the seat has plenty of foam, so you can drop 1.5 inches in seat height there as well.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri May 21, 2021 5:14 am

faffi wrote:
There is also a member here who make 16in conversions using the rear wheel,

He stopped selling, interest had dropped off.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat May 22, 2021 1:58 am

:VTF:

tamigon wrote: short female and wondered, in order to shorten my bike

Just "my" perspective"

Don't take this wrong, but there no reason to over-think this with changing/altering geometry by rims/brakes, controls etc etc etc. I understand the lure to jump into the Virago family (and... wanting to "ride"), but those 920s are (to me) close to being the worst bikes to alter. Meaning: as in lowering fairly cheaply...without take'n a saw to them. :bg: Mainly cuz of the mono shock. Which, if money is no object, so be it..then replacing the shock is no problem. But as it stands now, adjusting damping and air pressure to the minimum "might" gain ya 1/2" or so.."maybe". And as for the front end can be lowered (fairly safely by upto 1.5") by sliding the stancions up-thru the trees. Of coarse, after removing the snap ring if your model has them. (on J or RJ model..forget which). But, some how ya gotta lower the rear too, to put it back into a stable mode. Which is (kinda) tough to do, cuz while you can takeout "all" damping, you do have to have "some" air-pressure (at least 5# for those shock to work decently.) Sooo...IMO: with that particular bike I'd concentrate on re-shaping the seat. You could easily drop the height by 2"+. Even just re-using the cover (might be a little wrinkly). Guess I'm trying to say: People think ok, got 19" up front, 16" at back, I can just drop the front by 1.5" (actual height) and it equals out to a lower bike. Then take'n in tire profile, type, whatcha actually doing to the over-all geometry, stability, frame reactions etc etc etc. Whelp..don't work like that. Hell, if one want to radically change, take the monoshock out, replace with a strut of some sort and go hard tail. Just look'n at it, strut rear, drop the forks in the trees and/or front spring lowering kit, guess one good lower it by 3+". And that's not cutting the seat, yet. https://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV920J_Virago :bg: JMO: There's alotta oddities of that particular bike to attack. Kinda like Yamaha started to "experiment" with left-over parts from the Gen I bikes, before the light when on and the Gen II bikes started. Mainly...adopting the twin shock look. Which is a whole-lot easier to lower the bike. Like I said, don't mean to give ya a bad taste, just some random thoughts. If ya do go the rim/wheel direction, hope it works for ya and welcome to Viragos. :cl:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: beltdrive » Tue May 25, 2021 3:47 pm

I would - ok I might be a lot different thinking - get a smaller li-on battery -
Move all the relays under the sadle into the batteryboks,
Cut out the rear frame under the front part of the saddle, from the mounting plates on the backbone to the curved pipe from the from the rear footrest.
In here I would weld in two curved pieces, that will give a lower surport to the new sadle.
You form a new sadle bottom from aluminum or fiberglass and make a ½ inch eadges around it to support the cover later, take it to a sadlemaker to get the best result.
This will give you 3 or 4 inches lower and you will stil have the same cornering clerange,
I always take handling over looks and all this wheel and suspension mods, will most likely not give you a better - saver ride - just my opinion.

I can be funny too - - you can put on a lot of weight, that will give you a lower bike as well - be safe have fun.
1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special - Happy wrench time, thanks everybody, I enjoy this community, hi from Erik
beltdrive
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Location: Denmark NE - former Canadian-Calgary - MARADAtech - Hotel Brinkly - gterik@gmail.com Flag
Bike year & model: 1981 XV 1000 Beltdrive Special, 1982 Yamaha XV920J 10L Virago (first Year)

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920