Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Clutch question(SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Clutch question(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 am

So took the bike for a long ride yesterday. Realized that the clutch maybe slipping but not sure. Does this bike have noticeable torque on low or high end? Its not really torquey at all. Noticed it when i hit the throttle hard in 2nd and 3rd, there wasn't any pull at all and i was slowly speeding up. When i let the throttle off a bit, almost felt like the trans caught up with the engine rpm. It has 24k on the odometer and have no history from the last owner. Not sure if this feels normal for this bike or if I should just do a full clutch job which doesn't sound hard... Also any brands for clutch kits you guys recommend? Tried searching but couldn't find anything but the tutorial for the DIY.

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 Yamaha Virago 920
Sex: Male

Re: Clutch question

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:49 pm

while XV are not exactly rockets, it does have tractor-like traits (in a good way) and you should feel accel/decel @ the twist of the grip - even if too-slow and in too-high a gear.

with only 24K, I would do a "full" clutch adjustment - sounds like it's slipping. >>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46216
[be sure to not use oil with "high-mileage" additives - some/most are not wet-clutch friendly]
should you have to replace the clutch, here's a walk-through >>> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=7482

as for best brand? :con:
Barnett >>> http://www.barnettclutches.com/clutch-p ... rings.html has been around a long time (1948) and that doesn't happen by chance.
they may be a little more than some, but you usually get-what-you-pay-for.
http://www.barnettclutches.com/1307/yam ... irago.html
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Crazy_Russian » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 am

2nd on the clutch adjustment!
i run EBC discs and springs.... a bit rough on the wrist, but i'm happy with its performance
Crazy_Russian
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 81 XV920RH
82 Virago XV750 USA, shafty
78 Suzuki GS750
81 Suzuki GS750 (sold)
85 Dnepr MT10-36 (RIP and then stolen)
91 Dnepr MT11-32 (Stolen)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:33 am

:yup:
Second..on EBC. If it's truly the friction plates. 24k is not much to throw a clutch out and could luck out with just an adjustment. But like you said, you don't know any history. Could have been the wrong motor oil, or the oil got way over cooked and/or really, really old at some point. That'll glaze em (both). Don't recall ever changing out the steels. Least on any of my bikes. And I was hard on them drag race'n. They'll usually gum up before the friction plates go out on ya. Coarse, many many factors can change this reasoning. Unless they're warped, they hardly ever wear out and can be cleaned quite easily. Coarse, even in that case, many many factors come into play. And personally....I wouldn't get to hung up on what the "book" says on how much free play you'll end up at the lever. I don't think it's enough, but that's just me.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Flyingdog wrote::yup:
Second..on EBC. If it's truly the friction plates. 24k is not much to throw a clutch out and could luck out with just an adjustment. But like you said, you don't know any history. Could have been the wrong motor oil, or the oil got way over cooked and/or really, really old at some point. That'll glaze em (both). Don't recall ever changing out the steels. Least on any of my bikes. And I was hard on them drag race'n. They'll usually gum up before the friction plates go out on ya. Coarse, many many factors can change this reasoning. Unless they're warped, they hardly ever wear out and can be cleaned quite easily. Coarse, even in that case, many many factors come into play. And personally....I wouldn't get to hung up on what the "book" says on how much free play you'll end up at the lever. I don't think it's enough, but that's just me.

Ive been busy with personal stuff. I'm going to adjust it tomorrow and take it for a ride. The bike was sitting in a garage for 15 years without being started. Then had fuel mixed in the crankcase for 6 months with running only 5 minutes here and there. Finally its got the carbs fixed up and oil replaced twice. Hopefully its just and adjustment but I'm willing to try my hand at a replacement job I have yet to do.

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 am

Stash@Numa wrote:
Flyingdog wrote::yup:

Ive been busy with personal stuff. I'm going to adjust it tomorrow and take it for a ride. The bike was sitting in a garage for 15 years without being started. Then had fuel mixed in the crankcase for 6 months with running only 5 minutes here and there. Finally its got the carbs fixed up and oil replaced twice. Hopefully its just and adjustment but I'm willing to try my hand at a replacement job I have yet to do.

if you have to --- here's a walk-through on DIY clutch replacement >>>
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... f1456573c1
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Stash@Numa » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Gotta thank you guys for the info. Amazing what knowledge you guys have. So I adjusted the clutch and bingo its a totally different bike. It pulls nicely now in all rpm ranges. It felt a little wrong to undo the set screw after seating it, but it's correct. When I did it originally, I tightened the screw about a 1/2 turn and thats what caused my slippage issue.

Mods please mark this as SOLVED :db: . Thanks!

Stash@Numa
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: Clutch question(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:43 pm

:GJ:
No freeplay? Yep, that will do it every-time. Nice to find/correct things yourself!
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV920