Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Tiny Oil Drip

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Tiny Oil Drip

PostAuthor: WeaserP » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 pm

You folks have done so well by me on some of my bike questions, I've come back with another. On the bottom of the oil pan of my '86 XV700, right behind the side stand, there is a screw (or bolt?) that has a small wire going to it. The wire seems to be a ground but I haven't traced that back to it's source yet. Anyway, I'm getting a small drip of oil from there. I've cleaned all around the spot to make sure it wasn't running there from someplace higher and I'm pretty sure that it's coming right out of that screw. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of a rubber seat or something like that but thought I would come to the Masters for a more definitive answer.

Thoughts? :con:

WeaserP
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: WeaserP » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Update - the wire that runs to the screw may be off the neutral switch but I'm not positive about that. I was told the drip could be the washer so I picked up a new one ($1.30) and will throw that on at the next oil change. Does this sound familiar to anyone..? Anyone at all...don't be shy...no need to raise your hand, just speak right up...no answers will be considered wrong here...uh, hello?...is this thing on...?
Weaser P

1986 XV700

WeaserP
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Re: Tiny Oil Drip

PostAuthor: 98xv0329 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Most oil leaks at the bottom of the engine are a result of a missing or damged oring on the oil filter cover. I just had to replace the small o ring on my oil filter cover. But my leak was showing up on the cover of the oil lever swithc. When I looked at my oil o ring under a eye glass, I could see some pretty good gouges in the o ring. I had been using the same o rings for over a couple of years.

If the drip is at the left side of the engine at the side stand switch, you could have a leak at the clutch push rod. This is under the cover where the clutch cable enters the engine. I had to replace the oil seal at the clutch push rod. You might want to take off the clutch cable cover and see if there is oil inside there. If there is, then it probably didn't get there from the oil filter cover area.

98xv0329
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

PostAuthor: WeaserP » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks, 98, I'll see what I can find. I appreciate the help.
Weaser P

1986 XV700

WeaserP
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700