Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Carb replacement

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Carb replacement

PostAuthor: jados93 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Hello all! I’ve got a 84 XV700 about 6 years ago, when I got it I knew that I would have to do a carb rebuild. Well due to busyness I haven’t been able to get to it until last fall. I pulled the carbs and brought them to a local tech. Long story short he gave them back to me with a rebuild kit installed but missing parts to my carbs!
Now I’m looking for replacement carbs but I don’t think it’s worth getting carbs for $300+. I’ve found some for cheaper but they’re for a XV750. Can I use the 750 carbs on my 700 or will this option not work?
Last edited by Jake on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from Yamaha Virago XV700 to Yamaha Virago - items Wanted

jados93
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 Virago XV700
Sex: Male

Re: Carb replacement

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

yup, 700 & 750 carbs are pretty much identical. (1100s work ok too with minor tweaking) with properly fitting manifolds.

JMO: I might think about new Mikunis instead of old OEM ones - specially if they're cranky old Hitachis
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Carb replacement

PostAuthor: jados93 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 am

mark75 wrote:Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

yup, 700 & 750 carbs are pretty much identical. (1100s work ok too with minor tweaking) with properly fitting manifolds.

JMO: I might think about new Mikunis instead of old OEM ones - specially if they're cranky old Hitachis
Thanks for the welcome and reply!

The original carbs are Hitachi... What model Mikunis would fit best for my bike? I’m not really looking to add hp this time around, I just want to get it running this summer.

jados93
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 Virago XV700

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 pm

uhhh,,, having a 'senior moment' here. seems like it is VM {TM?} 36 - 38 ??

mostly be mindful of the size intake throat to be sure it will fit your manifolds.

I'm sure other will correct or substantiate.

the main thing is parts are available for Mikunis vs none for old Hitachis
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:35 am

BST 40's are the stock Mikuni carbs for 750/1100 88 and later.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement