Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV700 project making new wiring harness

• Advertisement

Post a reply

XV700 project making new wiring harness

PostAuthor: Punkskitz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:32 am

Hello all first time posting i just acquired a xv700 i havent messed around with motorcycles in a while but i used to restore xr750 and xr1000 harley davidsons so i have some experience, it was aquired with no key and after trying to hotwire it i noticed the wire harness had all kinds of old legacy wiring in it so me being the idiot i am pulled the entire old harness off in hopes of reworking it and bobbing/ tuning it into a cafe racer.

can anyone point me in the right direction as far as aftermarket parts and which manuals to follow which ones to not im going to rewire all the old connectors in but try to avoid some of the saftey features so a barebones approach id say.
thanks for your time and i hope this forum is still active!

Punkskitz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: xv700 1985
Sex: Male

Re: XV700 project making new wiring harness

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:05 am

Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:14 am

Howdy!

Welcome to VTF.

here's another one (for we me who are electronically challenged) >>> viewtopic.php?f=140&t=29436

:naughty:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Punkskitz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 am

Thanks all i take it this is a very active forum, thats great ill be posting here whenever i hit a roadblock so probably often my first task is printing off a 383 page haynes manual :|

Punkskitz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:23 am

There's a number of threads regrading wiring. Use Google outside of the forum to search. Just include Virago Tech Forum with your key words and you'll find lots of information.

I'd love to see photos of your XR projects. Epic bikes with so much history.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Punkskitz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Hellgate wrote:There's a number of threads regrading wiring. Use Google outside of the forum to search. Just include Virago Tech Forum with your key words and you'll find lots of information.

I'd love to see photos of your XR projects. Epic bikes with so much history.

I worked at a shop that restored them the owners name was john steel from chagrin falls ohio He Had everything you could think of and bought up even more https://www.hi-speedmotorcycles.com/ is the website that shows alot of the history and different bikes he has for sale expensive$$$$$!

Punkskitz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:17 pm

Punkskitz wrote:Thanks all i take it this is a very active forum, thats great ill be posting here whenever i hit a roadblock so probably often my first task is printing off a 383 page haynes manual :|

after your 5th post the site will allow you to D/L the various pdf versions of service/tech manuals that can be found on-site.
--- once stored on your PC you can print relevant section PRN, then when it gets greasy/dirty, just discard and print new fresh for next project.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Image

You may enjoy Greg Hegeman's work. He's a great guy who really took to customizing Viragos. He has a strong HD background too.

http://www.hagemanmc.com/

Not sure the scope of your project, but a Motogadget is nice solution for a simplified wiring harness.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Punkskitz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 am

Hellgate wrote:Wow! Thanks for sharing! Image

You may enjoy Greg Hegeman's work. He's a great guy who really took to customizing Viragos. He has a strong HD background too.

http://www.hagemanmc.com/

No problem it was a great experience working there I just wish I still had some of the posters he had made of the strippers posing with the xr750's haha

Not sure the scope of your project, but a Motogadget is nice solution for a simplified wiring harness.

Punkskitz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: jhsiv115 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:25 pm

This worked for my VX700. It is "bare bones". Only enough to fire off the bike an run. Just make sure to ground the fuse box (not pictured)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jhsiv115
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1986 XV750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700