Pulled the Engine Left-Side Cover to check the
Starter Idler Gear and it is worn.

Idler.jpg

Looking at the Starter Gear, There wasn't # 2
Circlip installed ???

Do I need that Starter Gear Circlip?

Thanks

c.winterwoods
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1985 XV700
Winterwoods
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 Virago XV700
Sex: Male

Re: 1985 XV700 - Starter

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:31 am

Do you need it? Was the starter setup working OK? I would suspect something was up... since ya took the side cover off..Just a guess. :bg:
For something that has been in use for 34 yrs (if original), I'd say that idler gear is still in good shape. Would be the "combination" of surface to surface contact area of idler gear and flywheel that's important. Far as that clip, being that it's actually a "brake" for the starter gear it has an important duty. Probly "not" as important as the brake clip on the idler gear. That being said, the starter motor, having it's own turning resistance from free spinning, due to the friction points within the starter motor, itself (ring gear/orbital gears/bearings etc). That's something I've never came across or pay that much attention to. Personally, if something is used in the original design, "I'd keep it as such". Those clips "are" pretty tight and they're there for a reason, sooo...I'd say "yes"..both... should be there, cuz the brakes are the only way the gears can stop from spinning (besides the natural friction), so the idler gear can back off the flywheel.
If this is your first venture into the Virago starter set-up, there couple little tricks that might help ya hold all those parts together, when putting that stuff back together. You can put a pretty tight 0-ring on the gear shaft and shove it tightly into the concave of the starter wheel (gear with the splines). You can also, when ya got all the gears in place, rotate both gears (with the brake clips) to the left. This kinda locks & holds everything in place while you get the side cover back on. Keeps ya from hearing that dreaded "clunk"... aka: the parts falling apart at the wrong moment. Few random thoughts and YMMV. :bg:

Bunch of vids out there that can get ya more insights..but very wary, some are not right, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zW2t59z24

Might also mention, if you do decide to replace parts, there's a new starter wheel set up--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIkZDTDZs7E BUT...IIRC, this does "not" work for the 700. Maybe it has something to do with number of teeth... been awhile, so not entirely sure. As always..takes some research.

And...if concerned bout the idler gears' wear...flip the gear. I did bout 10 yrs. ago..Still original and still works fine. One of those things..some say yes, some no...you're call. :cl:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Winterwoods » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 am

I picked up the bike last month.
It had been sitting for a number of years.

I have not tried to start the bike.

So far:
Cleaned the Fuel Tank
Cleaned the Carbs
Pulled the left side cover to check the Idler Gear.
(didn't look like it had been - recent-gone into)

I will install a Starter Gear Circlip when I replace
the starter.

c.winterwoods
Last edited by Winterwoods on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 XV700
Winterwoods
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Winterwoods » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Flyingdog wrote:Do you need it? Was the starter setup working OK? I would suspect something was up... since ya took the side cover off..Just a guess. :bg:
For something that has been in use for 34 yrs (if original), I'd say that idler gear is still in good shape. Would be the "combination" of surface to surface contact area of idler gear and flywheel that's important. Far as that clip, being that it's actually a "brake" for the starter gear it has an important duty. Probly "not" as important as the brake clip on the idler gear. That being said, the starter motor, having it's own turning resistance from free spinning, due to the friction points within the starter motor, itself (ring gear/orbital gears/bearings etc). That's something I've never came across or pay that much attention to. Personally, if something is used in the original design, "I'd keep it as such". Those clips "are" pretty tight and they're there for a reason, sooo...I'd say "yes"..both... should be there, cuz the brakes are the only way the gears can stop from spinning (besides the natural friction), so the idler gear can back off the flywheel.
If this is your first venture into the Virago starter set-up, there couple little tricks that might help ya hold all those parts together, when putting that stuff back together. You can put a pretty tight 0-ring on the gear shaft and shove it tightly into the concave of the starter wheel (gear with the splines). You can also, when ya got all the gears in place, rotate both gears (with the brake clips) to the left. This kinda locks & holds everything in place while you get the side cover back on. Keeps ya from hearing that dreaded "clunk"... aka: the parts falling apart at the wrong moment. Few random thoughts and YMMV. :bg:

Bunch of vids out there that can get ya more insights..but very wary, some are not right, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zW2t59z24

Might also mention, if you do decide to replace parts, there's a new starter wheel set up--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIkZDTDZs7E BUT...IIRC, this does "not" work for the 700. Maybe it has something to do with number of teeth... been awhile, so not entirely sure. As always..takes some research.

And...if concerned bout the idler gears' wear...flip the gear. I did bout 10 yrs. ago..Still original and still works fine. One of those things..some say yes, some no...you're call. :cl:

Thanks Flyingdog.

c.winterwoods
1985 XV700
Winterwoods
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Yamahas rock » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:52 pm

My gear looks just like that. I just put a fuel hose clamp on the number 8 clip end and the box of rocks went away. If you want you could grinder that material off the gear with a Dremel but it I were you I'd leave it.

Yamahas rock
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv920J Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Wear or burrs on the flywheel gear causes starting problems. Grind off the burrs with a Dremel. Idleer gear looks OK.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement