Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

battery? dies while riding

• Advertisement

Post a reply

battery? dies while riding

PostAuthor: mikeo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:34 am

My wife and I went away for a weekend on the bike. Bike ran great the whole time. Got back to town. Went to pick up my daughter from work two minutes away. Bike started fine. Shut it off while waiting for her. Tried to start it and it was as if the battery was 95% dead. Barely tried to turn over, no start. Had to push-start it. Got it home, shut off, tried to start it....same thing. Trickle charged the battery over night. Started up fine. Three weeks later, no issues starting up. Two days ago, same thing happened. This time I did not have time to trickle charge it so I just left it. This morning, after not charging it, it fired right up with no hesitation. Took her to work. Got home, shut it off, tried to start it....wouldn't go. Is this a battery issue or something bigger? Why would it seem fine after a rest?
1987 Virago XV700

Image[/url]

mikeo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 virago 700
Sex: Male

Re: battery? dies while riding

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:32 pm

It could be loose or dirty battery terminal connection or bad or dirty ground cable. Check connections on battery and frame ground and R/R connections to its mounting point.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: mikeo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:14 pm

I should add, that when it died the first time, the lights and horn went out too, which is why I figured it was a dead battery. Today, though it won't start, lights and horn still work and the battery on a volt tester reads at 12.15. Any idea where the ground is typically found on the frame of this bike? All other connections on/around the battery look good. A side note: I had some light issues prior to all this (see my post on turn signals a while back). As a result I had all the wiring pulled out from behind the headlight while I was doing some troubleshooting a couple weeks back. Obviously, that rats nest never goes back in quite the same way. Is there something up there that could be pinched that might cause this? I bring that up because none of this happened until after I did that. Seems unlikely to me but......
1987 Virago XV700

Image[/url]

mikeo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 virago 700

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:41 am

mikeo wrote: Today, though it won't start, lights and horn still work and the battery on a volt tester reads at 12.15. Any idea where the ground is typically found on the frame of this bike? All other connections on/around the battery look good.

A voltage test will not tell you if the battery is good enough to start the bike, the ground is typically on a bolt on the bottom of the engine, you cannot just look at the battery connections, you have to remove the cables and sandpaper the cable ends and battery terminals.

~Mark Twain

There is an old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows the time. Man with two, not sure."
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700