Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1986 Xv700 won’t start after rehaul

• Advertisement

Post a reply

1986 Xv700 won’t start after rehaul

PostAuthor: Sampsonseif » Fri May 24, 2019 3:00 pm

I bought this bike a couple months ago and I’m brand new to working on bikes. I cleaned the carbs out and redid a bunch of wiring. Last week I got the bike up and running. I drove it around the block but then blew some fuses because of exposed wires. Fixed that. Then the idle started to be super weak and die anytime I gave it gas. Now it won’t even start. I don’t want to take the carbs apart because I just did that and the bike was running last week, what can I check? Spark plugs give spark, all my lights turn on and the starter is giving it’s all but nothin.

Sampsonseif
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 xv700 virago
Sex: Male

Re: 1986 Xv700 won’t start after rehaul

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:42 pm

be sure to keep your battery fully charged. if jumped from a car battery, do it with car engine off ... TCI is a power hog and needs minimum 9vDC to even 'notice'.

if your plugs are sparking, it's probly the carbs --- since all one needs to run is fuel, air, spark ...

might check the float levels with clear tubing >>> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55517

if you don't have one, you really should have a good service manual. IMO the best is hard-copy, 1982 vintage, OEM 920/750 one, but having a copy of all [Clymer, Haynes, etc.] can be useful

does it fire at all with "starter fluid"??

re-check your "re-wiring" ...

my guess is it's carburetion issue, probly clogged pilot jet - carbs must be absolutely spotless [even all those tiny passages] and those old Hitachi carbs are infamous for being eccentric and cranky with age.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Sampsonseif » Fri May 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Turns out it’s an air/vacuum issue because I shot some air down one of the air tubes that comes out of the carbs and it would catch and start for just a second before dying. Got it to rev up once before it died.

Last week when it was running it was sputtering a ton and I had to quickly accelerate out of first gear or it would die. But once it was going fast it was ok

Maybe it’s related?

Carb cleaner won’t get it started now but when I got it to idle for a couple seconds earlier today I sprayed some around to see if there’s a leak and it revved up the engine a bit.

Maybe I need to replace my boots and rubber stuff for a better seal?

Sampsonseif
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 xv700 virago

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sun May 26, 2019 1:30 am

:VTF:
Sampsonseif wrote: I sprayed some around to see if there’s a leak and it revved up the engine a bit.

Yep..that's a sure sign of a vacuum leak.

Sampsonseif wrote: I shot some air down one of the air tubes that comes out of the carbs and it would catch and start for just a second before dying. Got it to rev up once before it died.

I'm assuming by "air tubes", you're talk'n about the black tube (w/little black bulbs) that are attached to top of each carb. Those tubes directly effect the rise & fall of the vacuum piston/needle. So what you are essentially doing, is by-passing the idle (pilot) circuit..lifting the piston/needle and forcing fuel thru the mains/pass the needle into the carb throat. Being able to keep the bike alive beyond idle by way of throttling, pretty much shows this. Your statement about "once it goes fast and keeps running" shows a pretty good sign your pilot circuit is badly plugged. Or even damaged vacuum piston diaphragms.
Oh yea.... and if that is were you're shoot'n air..be mindful that those bulbs contain air filter material. That stuff crumbles with age and you could be shoot'n lotta crud into the carbs.
Maybe the problem is just the manifold. But...I think you got more going on there than just manifold/vacuum leaks. I would wager another carb cleaning and carefully checking stuff is in order.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:04 am

Try adding full choke and see if it will start. If so, you have plugged pilot passages and the carbs will have to come off again. If there is any doubt about the carb holders, replace them. They are available on eBay for about $40 USD>
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement