Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

backfiring witnessed on top of intake boot

• Advertisement

Post a reply

backfiring witnessed on top of intake boot

PostAuthor: alaska1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

So this bike started up and proceeded to blow chunks of dog food out the tailpipe. My question is whether or not it is possible that mice have plugged up the exhaust with dog food? It started strong with the choke on, would not run with choke off. I witnessed a small flame out of the top of the intake boot when backfiring. I have ordered new boots but am afraid that I may blow out the new one if the tailpipe is clogged. Perhaps the only problem is a bad vacuum leak through the boot. Suggestions?

Thanks

alaska1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 xv700 and 1985 xv700 and 93 xv750
Sex: Male

Re: backfiring witnessed on top of intake boot

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm

alaska1 wrote: Suggestions?

Cat for the mice.
Dog for the food.
:bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: alaska1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm

okay, update. Went out today and it started fine but runs a bit like crap. Seems to be fine on the exhaust.

Dogging on throttle, wondering what is priority, air fuel screw or balancing carbs?

alaska1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm

priority: idle, take throttle, performance ...

my guess is varnish from storage.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 pm

:yup:

Be my suggestion too...plus a good cleaning of the carbs probly wouldn't hurt. Running on choke only is usually the first sign your pilot circuit is plugged (among others). Was this thing stored long? Check "all" wire connectors (clean..shiny..tight) specially coils' primary wires, air cleaner clean, no vacuum leaks and fully charged battery<---Mark, you feel OK?.. that's usually your first requirement. :bg:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: alaska1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm

Yes, the carbs were totally cleaned, that was the first thing. All hoses replaced and rebuilt the petcock.I t holds idle fine now and revs up when not under load. Running down the street it backfires a bit and has no power. I noticed that the back intake boot port was open so I plugged it. Didn't seem to change much at all. Sprayed starter fluid around intake boots and really no change. turned the jet for the rear cylinder all the way in and all the way out and it didn't seem to change much. When I adjusted in the the front one, it backfired when increasing rpm so I backed it off to two and a half turns.

I need to ask as I was unable to find it again in the forum, is it needle, spring, stainless washer, rubber o ring? this is on the pilot jet, of course. Hitachi carb on this 86.

alaska1
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 am

alaska1 wrote:is it needle, spring, stainless washer, rubber o ring? this is on the pilot jet

Yes, that's the correct order. If ya replaced the 0-ring, make sure the old one was removed. You'd be surprised how often this is over looked, usually cuz the old one didn't 'fall' out. Sometimes the old one gets kinda wadded up or really jammed in there and can't be seen, until ya get in there and dig it out.

alaska1 wrote:noticed that the back intake boot port was open so I plugged it. Didn't seem to change much at all. turned the jet for the rear cylinder all the way in and all the way out and it didn't seem to change much.

alaska1 wrote: When I adjusted in the the front one, it backfired when increasing rpm so I backed it off to two and a half turns.

Whelp..that right there should tell ya. Something is still not right. They "both" should effect their respective cylinders. Doesn't necessarily mean both pilots will have the same number of turns. The pilot circuit is absolutely necessary for starting, idle and a smooth transition from off idle onto the jet needle.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700