Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Modding Air Filter

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Modding Air Filter

PostAuthor: Chaos_Spear » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Hey everyone. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm in the process of stripping down my '85 XV700 and am going to select a new air filter fairly soon. My plan was to go with one of the tapered-shape filters (like in https://www.knfilters.com/images/img/la ... r_hero.jpg) and had a few questions.

First off, is this a good direction to go in terms of performance? Does the correct-diameter model of this shape give good results compared to stock?

Second off, how big of an issue is the whole "water getting into an uncovered air filter" thing? I know that getting water into the carbs and cylinders isn't great, but the consensus seems to also be that it's a lesser issue when you select a filter from a reputable brand like K&N. What are some personal experiences with this?

Chaos_Spear
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 xv700 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Modding Air Filter

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Howdy.

Welcome to VTF.

apologies for over-looking your post and the late reply.

Hmmm... depends on how much riding you plan to do in the rain, or if you only get caught by weather-chance, also parking or storage in rain-free area?

had one similarly cone-shaped on my single-carb KJS and it functioned ok, but stuck out in my way, so I went with a 'flat-oval' shape.

similar to this ---> https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/EMPI/ ... l#plpslot2

FWIW: with either, getting caught riding in the rain will get little water sucked in, but storing with it uncovered is not recommended.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700