VTF Google Search
 Click Here

clutch problem (SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

clutch problem (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: flyingVi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 am

hey im flyingvi
i have a 84 yamaha virago 700. i recently moved and when i was unloading my bike i popped my gear into second instead of neutral accidentally. it was only when it was giving me some resistance that i realized i was dragging it in second. needless to say i was pissed at myself and when i went to ride and change gears it would pop into first and immediately stall and jerk forward like my clutch wasnt activating. i plan to take the clutch apart tomorrow. if anyone could give me advice as to what i screwed up it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

flyingVi
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 xv700 virago
Sex: Male

Re: clutch problem

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm

I would try a clutch adjustment at the pushrod, first. Then move to the lever. Your lever adjustment maybe totally outta whack. It's hard to believe, but they can go screwy outta the blue.

http://viragotech.com/newtech/How%20to% ... clutch.htm
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Howdy.
Welcome to VTF.

try this 1st ---> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46216

if that doesn't do it, then you will need this ---> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=7482
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks Mark, much better..that was a link you put up sometime ago. I didn't look at it until now. Was in a bit of a hurry and it was something within a clutch adjustment thread. Shoulda opened it, first.. Kinda ish :r:
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: flyingVi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm

thanks for the replies guy.
i actually broke my push lever assembly a couple days ago. again. it was just a matter of time because i had welded it back together last time it broke. it was giving me a lot of resistance and the push lever wasnt moving. i hadnt read the replies yet and i assume its because i hadnt adjusted the screw yet? i could have also messed something up myself when i took the cover off to fix another issue.
as for the adjuster screw i positioned it just like the instructions. just waiting on the new push lever to come in

flyingVi
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm

:GJ:
Let's hope it works out.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:20 pm

yeah, if you welded the old "push-lever" there is a chance it could have been malfunctioning, so probly best you got a new one. [& they are still OEM available & not too expensive]

hope that fixes the issue.
while you're at it, check that the cable is good - inner moves freely/well lubed - no broken/frayed strands

you can tell that the inner rope strand is coming to the end of its' life if the inner cable-wire looks more line a smooth-walled pipe than a wire-rope with its' prominent wires & strands.
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'82 - XV750

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Whoa..and you being from Texas..sure you would have likened it to thistle/manila rope. :bg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: flyingVi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:00 pm

ok so got new push lever on started her up and now my clutch wont disengage. now when i put her in first and go to release the clutch it stays put and wont budge. havent taken the clutch apart yet that's tomorrows job
in case i have to replace the plates can someone recommend me a good place to purchase them online? :hitpc:

flyingVi
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm presuming you're using wet-clutch friendly oil, so try a 'full' adjustment first ---> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46216

again I'm presuming that when you let the lever out [in gear] engine will rev but bike doesn't move - is that correct?

again it sounds like an adjustment might help, but if not here's a walk-through on clutch replacement ---> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=7482

these folks have always given me good service. ---> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... 957/clutch

probably only need fiber plates [if any] ...

if adjustment doesn't do it open the right side and take a look. it could be a burr on the push-rod or bad/broken springs? [unlikely] :con:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'82 - XV750

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:12 pm

Flyingdog wrote:Whoa..and you being from Texas..sure you would have likened it to thistle/manila rope. :bg:

one fella I knew had one made of some-kinda leather, but for centuries [and to my thinkin'] hemp's the 'best' :naughty:

'82 - XV750

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: flyingVi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm

all back to normal! :smoke: Not sure what it was exactly (think it was adjuster screw) but took the right side cover off and disassembled the clutch. all was in good condition so i put it all back together, kept tweeking the adjuster screw and shes running like a mad dog once again :pee:
wish you could hear it. i gently removed one of my baffles with a sawzall a while ago and now she shoots blue flames :BFG: thanks for the help :beer:

flyingVi
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Re: clutch problem (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:53 pm

glad to hear it.

the push-rod oil seal can throw ya off - it's tight and tricks you in that it feels like the adjuster rod is in-place when it's really too shy.

'82 - XV750

mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700