Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

1987 XV700 first time need help with Intake

• Advertisement

Post a reply

1987 XV700 first time need help with Intake

PostAuthor: kjingram821 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:41 pm

I picked up a 700 in need of some TLC to serve as a bike for my wife. Not familiar with the XV family, my son does have an older XJ that I've tinkered with a little. Mechanical ability is good. Just trying to piece together this intake and figure out what I have and what I need. I believe I'm missing one of the hoses that run from the frame to the carb (10L-14453-01-00) and I think I have the pipe from the air cleaner to the frame, but I'm not 100% sure from the parts fiche which side that goes on. Any help would be appreciated. I know I need a tank petcock, and have already ordered that. Bike will start and run on starting fluid. That's as far as we've made it thus far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kjingram821
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 87 YAM XV700C
99 KAW VN1500E
13 FLHTK
Sex: Male

Re: 1987 XV700 first time need help with Intake

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 pm

:VTF: Good bike for the wife....
The longer of elbow goes from air cleaner to frame (right side/front of frame). It'll be shoved into the bugeye (right side) up to the inner most flange and sealed against the bugeye/air cleaner body. Why that was janked, who knows. Shorter ones go from frame to carb throats. The short elbow, with those loop/tab things goes on the right/left side carb. Length will determine which is which. Those loop thingies are used to hold a chrome piece to cover the rubber elbow(just a glamour thing). The two rubber hoses on the right side (that are sticking out just under the frame in pic) will just stick loosely in the back of the air cleaner. Not connected to anything. They're just there to keep them out of any direct air stream. That black plastic piece ( far left/first pic) mounts under left bugeye. It's to hold your MCV/AIS and hold bugeye on with those two bullet like tabs and a screw on the bottom. Looks like the piping for the MCV has been removed. Which you're probly going to be removing anyway. Just besure the joints at the cylinders (front & back) are capped off. There's all kinds of write ups in these forum bout that. Not 100% sure how the 700 MCV is set up. Haven't looked. Something that can be brought up after you get these other pieces mounted. Of course, you've probly already figured out the other flat/black plastic piece (with stap), left-2nd pic, is for the battery box. Should get ya started.

Oh..while it's broke down this far, would be good to look at those two hoses sticking out right side, just under the backbone. You notice they go to the carbs. You'll also notice they each have a little black bulb. You might wanna take these off the carbs and pull them apart. There's air cleaner material in them that should be replaced with some type of foam cleaner stuff. They're there to equalize the air pressure for the carb slide/jet needles to work properly. That's why they go into the back of bugeye/air cleaner/right side..out of any air turbulence. Meaning: kept in calm air.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempar ... 00ct-parts
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: kjingram821 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks! I'll look into everything you posted. It's a lot of help. I was starting to figure some of it out, but I have yet to get a manual. I'm hoping this bike hasn't been "hillbillied" up too badly, lol. I don't know why the two pictures rotated, they're not that way locally or at least my Windows 10 machine oriented them correctly automatically.

I figure once I get a petcock I'll see how it starts/runs. I was told by the PO that the carbs needed adjustment and he had not done anything since he bought it a year prior. Who knows what was done before that. I intend to figure out what's missing and put it back as best I can. I've done this with a couple of vehicles and an abused Scag commercial mower, so I don't think I'm out of my depth here. First bike I've really had to wrench on (more in depth than fluid changes) although I've got a 1999 Vulcan waiting in the garage for a new bevel gear assembly this winter too.

kjingram821
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

99 KAW VN1500E
13 FLHTK

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 am

Hillbillied/McGyvered..hehe..yep it's an adventure. First glance you can see someone used hose clamps, instead of the joint covers/clamps on the carbs joints ..heh.. would be a good indication it was done to get by.... and the adventure begins
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: kjingram821 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 am

I'm guessing these are supposed to have an OEM gasket, and not RTV? :bg:

Anyone know why one vacuum port on the left side one is capped?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kjingram821
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

99 KAW VN1500E
13 FLHTK

PostAuthor: kjingram821 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:37 am

Also, inside those two hoses you mentioned appear to be a metal mesh material. Is that what you're saying needs replaced?

kjingram821
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

99 KAW VN1500E
13 FLHTK

PostAuthor: kjingram821 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am

One more thing. I've been reading through the forums (I think I'm on page 8 or 9). I'm getting 90 psi compression on both cylinders. That's sitting for a year, haven't put any oil in to see if they come up. Looks like I saw someone say 150 psi is normal? Should I just plan on pulling the jugs and doing rings, or will I be OK at 90? They're within 1 or 2 psi of each other.

kjingram821
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

99 KAW VN1500E
13 FLHTK

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:05 pm

You have the requisite 5 posts now so you can download copies of the manuals here:

download/file.php?id=29502 Haynes

download/file.php?id=29501 Clymers

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22910 Yamaha Factory Service Manual
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: kjingram821 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks Jake. I'm very familiar with Haynes manuals, that will help alot. Looks like Haynes says 128 is the minimum acceptable compresison.

kjingram821
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

99 KAW VN1500E
13 FLHTK

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:02 am

kjingram821 wrote:Also, inside those two hoses you mentioned appear to be a metal mesh material. Is that what you're saying needs replaced?

Yes..that's what I'm talk'n about. It will eventually break down and screw with the air volume. Any decent air cleaner foam will work.

Yes, those 0-rings are oem gaskets for the carb/cylinder joints. No paper gaskets. Won't hurt anything if you want to use silicone sealer too. (Exhaust gasket sealer..usually orange like you see on there now) I've been doing it for 40 some yrs. No problems. Just have to clean it off when re-doing it.

Those capped off nipples is where you would connect a sync tool/manometer/vacuum gauges. The rear carb (#1) joint will have one too.

Yes..90# is low, but will not prevent the bike from running. Might have a semi-siezed compression ring from sitting around. Could possibly free-up after running up hot/cooling down/changing oil few times. Same with the valve seats. Stuff builds up on em from inactivity. You can pull the jugs, re-ring, hone cylinders anytime you want. But it will run as is now, once everything else is up to snuff.

Nother thing to keep in the back of yer mind, when/after you get this thing running on it's own, you want to crack those chrome bolts on top each cylinder, to check and make sure there's oil flowing to the heads.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: kjingram821 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks for the pointers flyingdog. One other quick question since I've got the carbs off and I can smell the varnished gas. Should I disassemble and clean or try the boiling water/lemon juice first? I was thinking since they're reportedly difficult to source parts for of trying the quick and easy boil method, clean them up clean the manifolds and put them back on and see if it will even start before I go further into it?

Thoughts?

kjingram821
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

99 KAW VN1500E
13 FLHTK

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 am

IMO..a person can do the boiling thing (never heard of that), dipping in some kinda chem Dip (never cared for that one as ya gotta really break then down to avoid "any" rubber parts, or my personal favorite...have a few cans of carb cleaner, carb port cleaning tools (or piano wire), Q-tips, air compressor, getting comfy with some good tunes and dig in. :bg: They'll be squeaky clean in no time.

And ya..you gotta be cautious about those black/plastic bulb thingies, cuz besides the screens, there is also filtering material that disintegrates and gets into the carbs, blocking the various passages.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV700