VTF Google Search
 Click Here

No power!!!

• Advertisement

Post a reply

No power!!!

PostAuthor: Rehuas » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:46 am

Can anyone please help me!!!!
Yesterday my xv 400 wouldn’t start. There is no power at all- nothing to the lights, nothing to turn over... completely dead. But my battery is new and is showing 12+ volts.
I’m thinking there might be a problem with with the red wire somewhere between the negative battery terminal and the start button.... any ideas??

Rehuas
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1993 xv400 virago
Sex: Male

Re: No power!!!

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:40 am

:VTF:

Main fuse? Or simply dirty battery, solenoid or some connection. Just 12v? Healthy battery should show 12.5v+. But even at 12v, should at least click. Not sure bout the 400, assume it's the same, Viragos' headlight will not come on just by turning on the key. Engine's gotta turn over some. Doesn't even have to be a complete revolution, though. But the idiot and tail lights should come on with just the key. Would suggest to start tracing with volt meter (or 12v fuse probe) from battery forwards. See where the juice stops.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:33 pm

:VTF: Edit your profile to show your location.
Rehuas wrote:Can anyone please help me!!!!
Yesterday my xv 400 wouldn’t start. There is no power at all- nothing to the lights, nothing to turn over... completely dead. But my battery is new and is showing 12+ volts.
I’m thinking there might be a problem with with the red wire somewhere between the negative battery terminal and the start button.... any ideas??
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Rehuas » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi thanks for tips!!
Battery is showing 12.5+ volts and it’s new so don’t think it’s that.
When I trace the wiring with a circuit tester it stops lighting up at the solenoid which has a corroded connection. I’ll get a new solenoid and hopefully she fires up.
I don’t know much about bikes bc I only just started riding so are you saying that the current comes from the battery passes through the solenoid before moving on to the rest of the bike????

Rehuas
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1993 xv400 virago

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:15 am

Rehuas wrote:Hi thanks for tips!!
Battery is showing 12.5+ volts and it’s new so don’t think it’s that.
When I trace the wiring with a circuit tester it stops lighting up at the solenoid which has a corroded connection. I’ll get a new solenoid and hopefully she fires up.
I don’t know much about bikes bc I only just started riding so are you saying that the current comes from the battery passes through the solenoid before moving on to the rest of the bike????

NO! The power goes from the positive battery cable to the main fuse to the rest of the bike. There are two wires that go to the starter solenoid, a large gauge cable that goes from the positive battery post to the large post on the solenoid; a small wire that goes from the starter relay to the small post on the starter solenoid. The small wire is what activates the starter solenoid to activate the starter.....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

Post a reply

• Advertisement