Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Throttle free play.

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Throttle free play.

PostAuthor: g4maroubra » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:21 am

How do I get more free play ??! I've tried adjusting the point closest to the handle bars for the cable, I've also tried adjusting the screw for the idle (right side) and also tried adjusting the screw with the two springs on the carberator (left side). I've tried to find a video of some one adjusting it so that it does have some free play and I've had zero luck. Please help. :ops: :thanks:

g4maroubra
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: Virago xv400 1988
Sex: Male

Re: Throttle free play.

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am

Most throttle cables have an adjustment at the handle bars and again at the carb. Major adjustments should be made at the lock nuts on the cable at the carb end. Decelerator first, then the Accelerator cable. Fine adjustments are made at the handlebar. See this link: https://www.bing.com/search?q=xv535+thr ... orm=MOZLBR
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package (sold)
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:01 pm

might check to see if the cable is binding / dragging D/T cable routing.

also see if there are any frayed / broken inner-strands that can interfere with smooth operation.

Have you recently changed bars? or a new T.cable? or other carb system 'adjustments'?
if now a sudden change, suspect that and start the investigation there.
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun ...
__ :bike: ...
or not ... :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.

TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions...
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: g4maroubra » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Thank you so much your responses! Very grateful for your support.

i've just purchased the bike, The handle bars are not the original. I will further inspect your points of attention. I'll get back to you and let you know. Thanks again

g4maroubra
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: Virago xv400 1988

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV400