Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Fork seals changed twice and still leaking(SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Fork seals changed twice and still leaking(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: ivanhienas » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi all,

As titled, I changed my XV400's left leg fork seal twice now and it is still leaking.
I followed this video as a guideline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_8wYvPfHg
But used XV400's manual for oil volume.

Any ideas what this could be? I am starting to think the actual fork tube is worn?
I triple checked both times that both the fork and the seal were 100% clean before putting them on so don't think it can be dust or anything caught up on the seal.
Could it be that both fork seals (that were purchased as a pair) are just bad? Should I try a 3rd time with a new one? Recommendations as to what brand?

Thanks,

Ivan
'92 XV400 - Toronto, ON, Canada

ivanhienas
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 xv400 virago
Sex: Male

Re: Fork seals changed twice and still leaking

PostAuthor: gleam » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:05 am

I recently learned that worn out tubes is in fact something that can occur and cause them to leak. It could be that. Next thing that stands out is that they're both leaking, which is a clue that points to something they have in common. It could be that the seals are poor quality, and are just leaking because they suck. Or it could be that you put them both in upside down because you were mistaken about how they're meant to go. It took me a while to figure it out when I did it the first time. See if you can find a reference for orientation. From what I've seen, the writing is supposed to face up to your face when you're driving them down into the slider, and the spring is meant to be on the oil-side of the seal.

There could be scraches in your fork tubes that are so deep that oil is getting past them. Just seems like that would be less likely: that both of them happen to be scratched. If anything catches a fingernail it's probably too deep.
1992 XV750
gleam
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1984 XV1000 (pile of parts)
1992 XV750 (wrecked)

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:47 am

yup: scratches on the fork tube or pits even if they are small can cause leakage. What fluid did you use?
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: ivanhienas » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:49 am

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response. I used SAE 10w (medium) Motul fork oil.
Bought an OEM Yamaha Fork Seal from boats.net - it doesn't leak now! Definitely the OEM was worth the price (20$ cad each against $10 for a pair of nobrand).

Thanks for the responses!

Regards,

Ivan

ivanhienas
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 xv400 virago

Re: Fork seals changed twice and still leaking(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 am

Just alittle aside:
Lotta times it's not so much the oil leak'n pass the seals cuz of gouges or scratches, but it's these marks having sharp edges that will cut the seals. Causing leaks. I've found rubbing a hard "Arkansas Stone" over the scratches/gouges smooths them out. Tried very fine emery cloth, but it messes with the stanchions' finish more than the stone.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV400