VTF Google Search
 Click Here

'88 XV400 Pilot Screw

• Advertisement

Post a reply

'88 XV400 Pilot Screw

PostAuthor: NikNacz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am

All,

I am going to try and service the carbs on my '88 model (2NT Import).

My question is this. The pilot screw on the front carb just turns in it's recess and will not come out or go any further in, it simply turns in place. If i press against it with the screw driver you can feel the screw compress on a spring.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should try before I pull the carbs off the bike completely.

NikNacz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 XV400 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: '88 XV400 Pilot Screw

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 pm

Sounds like the threads are stripped... If so, the carb body is ruined. You will need to replace the carb body... Verify part numbers, but I think the 535 carbs will work.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: ivanhienas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 am

Hey mate,

Not sure of the situation of your carbs but maybe its loose and just stuck by grime or w/e so bang the carb a bit on a table to see if the screw comes off?

Worst case is what bstig60 said... Get new carbs.
I have a set of xv400 carbs with one of them having the pilot screw stripped so i had to buy a set of 535 carbs off ebay and then gave up the dual carbs all together and went to single carb and lived happily ever after.

Cheers,

Ivan

ivanhienas
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 xv400 virago

PostAuthor: NikNacz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:59 am

So ended up with a different set of 535 carbs i found at a breakers yard.

Fitted them at the weekend and fired up first time. Took a few minutes for the front cyclinder to fire up. coughed and spluttered gave a couple of back fires through the exhaust and the carbs and then settled down nicely. took her out for a quick test ride and all seems good after everything warmed up.

Now just got to work on the rattle which I think is the CAM chain. I have never adjusted one of these before, is it difficult (requires a mechanic) or should I attempt on my own.

NikNacz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Wow..set of carbs working right off the bat, coming from a bone yard!? Without cleaning/adjusting or anything? Talk about luck'n out. You better to go buy a lotto ticket. :bg:

Adjusting valves, pretty easy. Just takes feeler gauges, 10mm wrench, allens and some time. Got a manual..good for step-by-step. Do it enough times, you won't need the manuel to know how. Oh..if those valve covers have never been off before, or when ever, might be good idea to give the 0-ring gasket (cap cover) a smear of exhaust gasket silicone. Ya don't wanna be having to get back in there, cuz the caps started leaking. Really only hard thing, sometimes the allen heads on the caps or nut on the valves can be a booger to break loose. Just make absolute sure you recheck the clearances "After" tightening the lock nut, on the valve adjustment. That allen head adjuster screw (for the clearance) has been known to spin when tightening down the lock-nut. Bad joo-joo can happen :;:

I can't imagine the clearance can be too different from the 535 or 750, but you can check around. Some one round here should know for sure. If you'd adjust to: intake @ 004" and exhaust @ .006", you'd be right in the middle for Virago...I've got mine at .003/.005" and it's been that way for 33yrs.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15331
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: NikNacz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks guys the help has been really useful. With the rubbish Easter weather upon us I am going to take the valve clearances during the week. Wish me luck. It seems to be with me so far so hope it continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NikNacz
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV400