Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Changing the fuel filter

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Changing the fuel filter

PostAuthor: Robyn » Sat May 06, 2017 5:42 am

I need to replace the fuel filter on my virago, but am not sure how to turn off the fuel supply in order to not waste gas when swopping out the filters. I haven't been able to locate a valve or some kind of switch in order to do this.

Please can someone advise me on what to do.

Robyn
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: Yamaha virago 400 1983
Sex: Female

Re: Changing the fuel filter

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:22 am

If you still have the original petcock installed, it is vacuum operated and fuel should not flow if the engine is not running; or if you have a fuel pump, fuel should not flow unless the ignition is on.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
1999 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Touring
Sex: Male

Re: Changing the fuel filter

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat May 06, 2017 2:35 pm

The '83 XV400 is a rare beast. As far as I know, it shares a lot in common with the '84 XV500. It should have both a petcock and a fuel pump, I believe.

If your petcock is functioning properly, when the petcock is "On", it is only "On" when the engine is running, and off when stopped. That is the function of a vacuum petcock .

The filter will be on the top of your petcock. That would mean you would have to detach the fuel line from the petcock, add a sufficient length of hose to drain the fuel into a container, and switch the petcock to "PRI" to empty the tank and remove the petcock and filter.

It could be that someone added an external filter to your bike and if that is what you are inquiring about, then leave the petcock "ON"', and you can remove the fuel line and change the external filter IF the petcock is functioning properly.

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain

Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV400