Click Here

Fuel feed problem

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Fuel feed problem

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:05 am

Hi Ladies and Guys
I have problem with my xv250
It starts ok and idles ok when the mix screw is opened 4 turns, but when I turn the handle to open the throttle,it stops. But if I overfill the carb bowl ,or hold my hand to partly cover the air intake I can speed up the engine.
I bought this bike one week ago , I have cleaned the carb and the jets . It is a 1997model ,has only run 3000km , and has not been started for the last ten years. What can I do?

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv125 virago
Sex: Male

Re: Fuel feed problem

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:18 am

Howdy. Welcome to VTF.

sounds like either an air leak or something still clogged inside carb.
be careful with o-rings when cleaning, some solvents can harm them.
I think air-screw is usually 2.5 turns from soft seat.

untrasonic is best way to clean a carb - JMO
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:56 am

Thank you
The plastic manifold is bad ,so I repaired it with silicone, but maybe it is still leaking air, is that very sensitive?
The two things that run good : higher petrol level in the carb bowl . Or when I part close the air inlet with my hand
tell me that it doesnt get petrol enough, may be it gets too much air from leaking manifold?
Maybe I shall try to lift the needle , one or two steps?

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm

manifold/air leaking can be very sensitive vis-a-vis proper performance.

so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:05 am

If it starts and idles, not likely to be a manifold leak, although four turns out for the idle mixture screw is too far from normal.

YamRod's original setting was 0.5 turns out and surprisingly did fine. We live at 800 ft elevation so, I set it at 1.5 out. He still does fine until we hit about 7,500 ft elevation or more. Its a wee bit rich that high but the occasional backfire under decel is the only annoyance.

Fuel level spec is ~17mm below the cast line on the float bowl with the bike (carb) level.(from memory) It can be higher perhaps 14mm or so but you are running lean it appears. Not right to mask a problem with another incorrect setting.

Fuel petcock filter, screen under the fuel inlet seat, clean air bleeds, clean fuel passages, yeah and a non leaking manifold are all important areas.
Ultrasonic cleaning is best to remove the scaley deposits, immersion cleaner gets the varnish out, compressed air or a small gage wire usually dislodges the birds nests and small children from the passages.

The choke plunger and enrichment circuit is important to be clean functional and untampered with. ( That is, don't turn the flat brass slotted plug that looks like an adjustment point, its not. )

Inspect the accelerator pump circuit for function.

Worse thing to do to these carbs is to let them sit for months without operation. Second worse thing is to start 'fixing' them. But we are here to encourage you and support you in this monumental and unbelievable expedition.

After you are successful and satisfied, we shall graduate to coffepot repair, :r:
G'Luk !
---Rancher

B Good! GearUP! TwistOn! GearTall RideSmall
Homage to Those We Follow - Rest In Peace Ride At Peace
but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2006 XV250V 17/41
1978 CX500 - Luv a Maggot with a Twist
1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T
1976 GL1000 Old Skins in New Bones(sold)
The only Cure for Obsession is another.
OR a Divorce, que sera sera

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:54 am

Thank you
I have now opened the needle from step 4 to step 5
Now it runs perfect , and I could set back the mix screw to normal setting
Everything is ok

Rune

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:06 am

Fantastic.

lets have a coffee!
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

(Corrections to my Speeds and Mileage posted before 5/2014 (-10% above 50mph) and (-1.8%mpg) Your Stock Speedo Variation may vary) Corrected by MoDot and TrailTech on Utah Tour. Truth in Posting Law
CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:31 am

Hallo Again

Today I tried to start my bike again
It didnt start
Now I dont know, what to ask you
And not what to do
It is still fuel feed problem
Because the sparkplugs are dry when I have tried to start

Rune

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Re: Fuel feed problem (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: DGA » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:49 am

Possible the intake manifold is leaking, vacuum leaks are bad news, replace the intake if it is too bad to repair, silicone is not a long term repair around fuel. Don't adjust carbs for a vacuum leak, repair the leak first, then tune.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Thank you for good and fast answer
How does a engine run when this manifold is cracked?
It looks that is made of bad material
Is it normal to change them often?
This one is 19 year old

Rune

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: CX Rancher » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:27 am

Depending on the severity of the leaks you could see:
higher idle
require choke to idle
lean idle
backfire through carb
backfire on accel
unstable idle (single carb so both cylinders are usually affected)
won't idle

Less affected is higher engine speed operation but again if the leaks are severe
backfire at high speed, cuts out, a lean burn can do some engine damage.

The cracked appearance is consistently common. New Aftermarket manifolds can be found under $25 US on ebay. $79 for OE I think.
Mine has had the cracked appearance for years but I think now deep enough to warrant a replacement. 2006 with 39,700 miles.
The inner walls have always looked fine. If nothing else, I'll feel better to have a new one.

Silicone is a very temporary repair :yup:
Urethane is better but its extremely messy and costs more than a new manifold.
G'Luk !
---Rancher

but Race the Urn, Man

CX Rancher
Mod
Mod

1982 GL500i
1982 CX500T
1982 CX500T show winner
1983 CX650C bad-axx
1983 GL650i
1983 GL650 Std
1983 CX650T

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 am

If the bike doesn't start, check that the float chamber is full with fuel - you may have a fuel supply issue. If your petcock has a PRI position, put it there as this should remedy any potential vacuum issues and let the fuel flow.

You can also try to use starter pilot gas and see if the bike will start - if it runs with that, you have spark. Also, if you get the engine to run normally with the air filter connected, try and spray pilot starter fluid around the carb and intake - if the rpm increases you have a leak that allows false air to enter the intake. This will lean out the mixture and also cause flow disturbances that will affect how your bike is running.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:35 am

Thank you again
Can somebody take away(SOLVED)
Repeat, I bought this bike some weeks ago, it had not runned the last ten years,it did not start.I bought a new battery and cleaned the carb, yets was clogged ,and the needle/membran cylinder was stuck.The membran is good.
I could see that the manifold was cracked ,from outside and in, I covered the outside with silicone . Then I could start it, normal way using chocke on idling. But it was easier to start if I first gave it some petrol in the cylinders . It runned on idling, and runned better when I opened the mix screw from 2 ,75 to 4 turned open. It died when I turned the handle to give more rev .Everything told me that It got not fuel enough, so I opened the needle from pos 4 to 5,and then the engine runned perfect in all rpm until I stopped it 10 minutes later.And I was sure that the problem was solved.Next day I assamled everything, tank airfilter ....but in fact I losen ed the manifold too, and pusched it to the left to connect the rubber above the carb,I tightened the screws again of course.And now it dont start at all.If I give it some petrol in the cylinders,it start short. I feel that it must be the manifold who makes the problem. I am going to buy one from ebay.

Rune,

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:06 am

I have the petcock in pri position,and the carb is filled up to the line with petrol
Rune

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Hope the new manifold will solve your issues. It would be very rare that an engine flat out refuses to run due to a manifold leak, though, usually it will run badly, but still run. You could spray starter fluid directly into the carb or air filter intake to make it running longer than by giving a drink into each cylinder.

BTW, have you checked the valves for clearances and that you have a strong spark on both cylinders. I once had a bad coil that made the engine act as it had a carb issue.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:02 am

I have not checked the valve settings
I have checked and found good sparks from both sparkplugs
I have no starter gas here
It was possible to start it idling many days,
idled better when I had increased the mix screw to out 4 turns from bottom
was very sensitive ,when I tried to increase the rpm,by turning right handle, stoped direct
Then the day ,when I had opened the needle from step 4 to 5 , it started and runned perfect on all rpm s
I was glad and thougt the problem was solved,this day it runned ,the carb was not connected to the rubbertube above the carb , because it is short and difficult to connect
Next day I connected it by pulling this upper rubber down and pressing carb up, so now it is connected and succing air throw a new airfilter
But not possible to start

Rune

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:40 am

Where are you located? In Scandinavia?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: Runeviking » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:48 am

I am from Kalmar in Sweden
But now I stay in France ,100km south of Lyon
I have done a boattrip in my boat on inland waterways
from Sweden to the med
and I found a nice lady here , so I stay with her here now
Do tou speak norwegian?

Rune

Runeviking
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 pm

it is not unheard of that the o-ring seal will fail. you might replace them to rule that out as a cause. [they are usually pretty low cost]

I'm a little confused [generally normal for me], but you list 125 in your avatar and 250 in your text. they are both probably similar, but just for clarification sake, we are talking about 250, yes?

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: faffi » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:57 am

Runeviking wrote:I am from Kalmar in Sweden
But now I stay in France ,100km south of Lyon
I have done a boattrip in my boat on inland waterways
from Sweden to the med
and I found a nice lady here , so I stay with her here now
Do tou speak norwegian?

Rune

Tjenare, grabben. Jag är norsk rakt genom :bg:

Mark, good suggestion about the O-ring seems a good one - do you mean #6 here in the drawing for the main jet? http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Y ... parts.html

I also think Rune has a 125 cc, which is basically the same bike. Jetting is likely to be different, perhaps carb size as well, although they seem to use the same manifold according to this http://www.dhgate.com/product/fit-yamah ... 24709.html
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Next

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV125