VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Stalling when iddling and stuttering while riding

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Stalling when iddling and stuttering while riding

PostAuthor: berthietw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 am

Hy everyone, thks for reading my post.

I bought my first Virago (XV 125) in January this year, and I'm hooked since then.

Beautiful bike, easy to repair, safe to ride.

I've done many things by myself on it already as she's from 1998 and only 12000km (of which I did 1500km), I changed oil and air filters, took out the carb and cleaned it, changed the inlet manifold that was cracked, changed relay, blinkers, handlebars, mirrors, battery, installed an electronic RPM counter.

back to the point, recently, due to a month of bad weather in southern France (heavy thunderstorms) I stopped riding for a while. the other I got back on the bike, rode a bit and when I got back to idling in front of my house she suddenly stalled.

Started her again and had to play with the choke to keep her from dying again (Weather was hot and dry at this moment 35°c or 95° F and bike rode for half an hour)

I played a bit with the iddling screw and everything was fine again (but I had to screw it a lot so that she would keep iddling)

Next day, started well with choke (instantly went super high in RPMs) but as I was riding I could feel as if the engine was "stuttering" : With the throttle slightly turned (in traffic around 50km/h 30mph) but perfectly static I could feel like the back was kicking my @$$, accelerating suddenly for an instant then loosing torque, with the RPM counter going haywire.

Also when she starts, the first two or three throttle rev have absolutly no effect on the bike and then the fourth one send the RPM up (no higher than usual though)

Could it be that the diaphragm in my carburetor is tearing up? Or that the carb is clogged? Which I doubt because she can still go 110km/h easily. It also appear I have a slight gas leak from the carb as a few drops stained the lower engine cover.

It wouldn't cost me much to bring her to a mechanic, but I have the Tools and they're booked up until september and I don't wanna miss summer !!

What do you think?

PS: Sorry for the faults/errors, English is not my mother tongue

Have a good day everyone & ride safe!

berthietw
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1998 XV125 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Stalling when iddling and stuttering while riding

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 am

Howdy! Bonjour!

Welcome to VTF. Bienvenue.

sounds like an 'air leak' to me.
check that your 'new' manifold is sealing properly. [well]

do you have a service manual? here is a thread with links to a pdf one. ---> viewtopic.php?f=88&t=30767

also there is a remote possibility of having water contamination (condensation) in the fuel after sitting for a time in humid conditions. :con:

I would also check the spark plug cables for potential "leaks" [intermittent short]

bonne chance.
New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:26 pm

From your description, its most likely a vacuum (air) leak....
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: berthietw » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:52 am

Hello Guys,

Thanks for answering that fast !

It seems you are pointing in the same direction !

If it is a vacuum leak (external air entering the vacuum line circuit if I'm understanding correctly) then now I shall find where it's hidden !

I'd like to tick off the inlet manifold as it's new (+new gaskets) and was installed a while ago (like in march or something)

So the list of potential culprits would be :
-All the vacuum lines and "T's" and connexions (plug)
-Fuel pump
-Fuel Tap
-Carb

I'll check asap !

Thnks

berthietw
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1998 XV125 Virago

PostAuthor: robbiec » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:29 am

get her started and spray some cold start spray around the diaphram, wd40 if you have none and see does the revs lower/rise. if not fill up your tank with fresh petrol to rule bad fuel out, another option is a clogged jet in the carb- it happens.

robbiec
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2001 xv125s

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV125