Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV125 Clutch

• Advertisement

Post a reply

XV125 Clutch

PostAuthor: john11668 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:30 pm

My virago 125 seems to have a very weak clutch in comparison with other small bikes .
The clutch was supposed to have been replaced before I got it but the previous owner has proved to be less than honest.
I have never felt it slipping but it does seem very light . Bike is 20 years old but only done 10K miles
Is the clutch normally very light on these , Can springs be replaced with stronger ones ,? Is there a clutch basket kit??

Any advice appreciated

john11668
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1999 xv125
Sex: Male

Re: XV125 Clutch

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:01 pm

here's a thread with a link for a service manual (in case you don't have one already) ---> viewtopic.php?f=88&t=30767

I would try doing a good clutch adjustment first, esp. if you have been noticing difficulties.

I have no hands-on with XV125, but only 125 I remember having a substantially strong clutch "pull" was my racers' [and it wasn't near as hard as the Sportster]

A lite feel is fine [specially for a street-bike] if it's not slipping and is changing gears sans problems.

if your not familiar with the procedure, here's a thread with a walk-through for XV750. ---> viewtopic.php?f=75&t=7482

it's not exactly the same as for XV125, but the process is.

try these folks for the best clutch components ---> http://www.barnettclutches.com/scorpion ... skets.html
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: robbiec » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:42 am

Do you mean light as in the lever doesn't return fast enough? I would check the torque on the clutch springs if so. However they are not a performance bike so if you can change gears comfortably without causing any mechanical damage I would be happy enough! Could be that your used to a performance clutch on another bike?

robbiec
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2001 xv125s

PostAuthor: john11668 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:57 am

Only other comparison I have was a honda XL125 varadero which had a similar V twin unit , and this seems much lighter.
My other bike is a BMW K100 so not a performance bike but much heavier .

john11668
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1999 xv125

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV125