VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Sick XV125

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Sick XV125

PostAuthor: Mart360 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:33 pm

OK short story long,

About 3 years ago my XL125 died, running fine then just cut out and would not restart.

It had done it a few times before, but normally restarted

Symptoms were no power or running only on one cylinder but would then clear and run fine

changing the coils usually fixed it.

This time nothing no starting, no spark nothing.

In frustration i parked it up and bought another bike, as i needed transport to work

2 bikes later, i thought I'd better do something about the baby V

So after starting from scratch, this is what I found.

Coils - Both OK, Correct resistances
Plugs - Both OK
Fuel - OK
Stator windings - not sure , may have a failed winding
Stator pick up - OK - as you will see
CDI - Possibly fubarred - was very hot and smelly when ran

So looking at the CDi - opening up showed what appeared to be a check arccos the PCB, but as some had suggested, the power transistors usually fail, so two replacements were ordered and soldered in .

Nothing, Nada, Zip. flattened the battery but nothing else.

So i purchased a new battery & a CDI of the bay advertised as a 125/ 250 CDi from HK

So now with New ish coils , plugs. CDI & battery i had another go..

It stated, but wouldn't get beyond an idle / tickover... as soon as i opened the throttle it would die..

Eventually i managed to get the power up By judicious use of the throttle, and the bike was rideable. but as soon as i came off the

power it would die

So next steps stripped and blew through the carb, and obtained a SH reg/rec

It started ok, but was very low on tickover, again tickling the throttle will get the revs up, but it has a huge backfire from the

back cylinder as it reaches high rpm, and then one from the from cylinder as it drops down the rev range ..

If i leave it on closed throttle it picks up revs and then dies, then slowly picks up revs and dies again .

Applying choke will pick the revs up a bit, but obviously as i open the throttle it will die.

Regarding the stator, it could be faulty as the battery isn't charging. hence trying the rec rec first.

I Haven't checked it to see if its charging though with the new reg/rec

Any ideas? or shpould i just part it out on the bay

Mart

Mart360
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2000 XV125 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Sick XV125

PostAuthor: DGA » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Carb(s) need a serious cleaning it sounds like, don't think it's the ignition from what you have said. Pull it( them) off and go through them and make sure all jets and passages are clean, next, clean the tank out and make sure the strainers are in place.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

PostAuthor: Mart360 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:35 pm

DGA wrote:Carb(s) need a serious cleaning it sounds like, don't think it's the ignition from what you have said. Pull it( them) off and go through them and make sure all jets and passages are clean, next, clean the tank out and make sure the strainers are in place.

Carb allready done, carb cleaner & airline, all jets & orifices removed and blasted

MArt

Mart360
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 2000 XV125 Virago

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:32 pm

this makes me think you have a lean condition somewhere...

"... If i leave it on closed throttle it picks up revs and then dies, then slowly picks up revs and dies again .

Applying choke will pick the revs up a bit, but obviously as i open the throttle it will die. ..."

and carbs need to be cleaner than a surgeons scalpel.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Grease Monkey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 am

Check if the float level and the needle are in good condition and on the right level. I have changed the needle and the float. Mine was constantly searching and when stopping, for a trafic light, it stops running. I have adjust the float level and now its running fine. Even the idle speed is adjustable now. I had a lot of issues with this but also a lot of good advises from this forum.
Could be that the computer is out of order. Thats the square black box under the seat.

Grease Monkey
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: Virago 125, 1998
harley WLA 750 1942
Ariel MF 350 1931

PostAuthor: DGA » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Mart360 wrote:
DGA wrote:Carb(s) need a serious cleaning it sounds like, don't think it's the ignition from what you have said. Pull it( them) off and go through them and make sure all jets and passages are clean, next, clean the tank out and make sure the strainers are in place.

Carb allready done, carb cleaner & airline, all jets & orifices removed and blasted

MArt

Blasting carb parts can add more problems, although I admit I do it, but you then have glass bead in the tiniest of places to clean. Could be that you missed cleaning the idle circuits somehow.
'81 XV750, clip ons, 18" rear wheel, lowered 920 forks with twin discs and 1.5" spring spacers, 1100 brake master cylinder with CNC billet cap, -3 braided brake lines, lowered instruments and headlight, CNC billet mirror mounts, small billet turn signals with running lights, Koso tach/ speedo, stainless 2 into 1 stepped headers with reverse cone muffler, starter heat shield, 4 guage starter cables, rear exhaust heat shield, 4" round open air filter with billet CNC mount, TM38 flat slide Mikuni carbs, XV700 ported heads, BT-C05 cams, colder BP8ES NGK plugs, stiffened swingarm, polished engine side covers, polished rear peg mounts with carbon cover panels, single horn relocated, Sparto tail light with 3D printed lens, BSA tank kneepads, one off carbon fiber cafe seat with brown cover, fork gaiters, KDX200 rear shock, single tach/speedo with carbon fiber dash, red LED under tank and seat lights, black pearl paint with silver accents.
DGA
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1974 Kawasaki H2 750, 1981 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, 1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre, 1986 Kawasaki KDX200, 2003 Honda XR100, 2004 SDG140.

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV125