VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Carbs, noise, Shocks, Final drive gear

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Carbs, noise, Shocks, Final drive gear

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:32 am

Hi everyone,

Well I have some questions about my virago.

First of all I have the "hitting" sound when I try to start my motorcycle. I've changed everything (Starter, starter clutch, Flyweel rotor, the big gear behind it) all. But still I get the "hitting" sound.

Second. I have another one sound (Knock) it hear it in the engine but I feel it on the foot controls. I get this knock even in neutral and when the motorcycle is hot. When it's cold it runs perfect, after a while it starts the knocking which is more louder on the low revs. My mechanic said it's the valves and he did a fix there but still I get this not as often as before but I get this.

Third. My carbs. They do a "sneezing" sound and they spit liquid. It seems like water not fuel but I'm sure something is wrong with them. Maybe the cause of all these problems are the carbs?? I thought the manifolds had the problem and I changed them but still I have the same problem. I'm thinking of getting bigger carbs and put aluminium manifolds (has anyone ever done something similar so he can help? - bigger carbs on the 535 for example 750 or 920?)

Fourth. My rear shocks are very rusty and I would like to change them. I was thinking to lower it an inch. Will that cause me any troubles when I have a second person on the bike? will it hit the tire?

Thank you all in advance for your replies. I'm really interested to hear your opinion.

Fifth. If I do the modification with the carbs I would like to change the final drive gear. Has anyone tried to put a different final drive gear. For example virago 920 or 1100?
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1994 xv535 virago
Sex: Male

Re: Carbs, noise, Shocks, Final drive gear

PostAuthor: daz1985 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:28 am

:VTF:

From my experience all these viragos have a noisy starter mech due to the design of the sprag clutch as long as it starts easy I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The knocking in the engine is more of a worry, as you can feel it through the pegs it sounds like a possible big end bearing (bush on bottom of the conrod) try to have a close listen to pinpoint where it is coming from (top end or bottom).
You might have cam timing or valve clearances out of adjustment, If the inlet valve isn't closing properly or open at the wrong time it would cause the pressure in the cylinder to be forced back through the carbs.
As for lowering it all depends on how much clearance there is between the tire and fender, If there is clearance to allow room for the drop then no problem but you would have to go stiff on the shocks if you want to allow for a pillion aswell. Adjustable damping as well as spring rate would allow more adjustment on this.
daz1985
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: yamaha xv500 1983
honda ns125r 1987
honda cbr600 f1 1987
triumph tiger 1050 2007

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 am

Hi there daz,

Well before I change all these things in the starter area it was hitting a lot , now it's better. It's just once and then it starts.

Is there any chance the knock in the machine to be related with the sneeze in the carbs??

As for the lowering, I have some space but my issue was that even now that I have some space when I have another one on the motorcycle and we find a camber in the street it's on the limit for the fender to hit the tire. So I was worrying if I lower it, when another one is on the motorcycle if it's going to be an issue. But as you mentioned if it's stiff then probably it's going to be OK.

What about the carbs modification I'm thinking of and the final gear drive. I was thinking of getting 40mm carbs
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: daz1985 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:13 am

That was what I was thinking about the timing or valve clearances might cause this noise and the spitting carb but hard to tell not being able to hear it in person, That's why a bit more info about the noise and where it is coming from in the engine. does the knock through the pegs feel sharp like metal hitting metal or is it ore like lurching from a misfire?
I'm not much help with bigger carbs sorry, there is plenty of info on single carb conversions on here though. If it is power your after there isn't much more to squeeze out of these little motors but the single carb is better for low end grunt. I'm sure some more informed people on this matter will reply to you as this site is full of very helpful people!
If there isn't much room as it is you would have to have no travel when it is lowered and it would bounce around like a hard tail but likewise I'm sure people on here have done it, worth a search through the forum.
Oh also not too sure about final gear drive, I know you can swap the rear end (swingarm,driveshaft and hub) I don't know if the ratios are different tho normaly swapped to fit a wider wheel.
daz1985
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

honda ns125r 1987
honda cbr600 f1 1987
triumph tiger 1050 2007

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 am

OK daz. I will check again from where the noise comes up.

As for the carbs and the final gear drive I'm looking to get 20 kilometers. I'm using the highway often and as it is my virago reaches 140 kilometers downhill top speed. 120 kilometers average. so I would like 20 kilometers more.
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: daz1985 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 pm

I see what you mean now yes on the motorway they do feel like the could do with another gear. I must admit 140kph aint bad going you must have that throttle pinned lol, poor little thing.
I would ask what revs that is at 140kph but if memory serves the 535 has no rev counter.
There is a single carb/power adder section in the forum that is worth trawling through for info on this.
daz1985
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

honda ns125r 1987
honda cbr600 f1 1987
triumph tiger 1050 2007

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:55 am

Exactly that feeling. It feels like you want to stick another one gear there... The thing is if i push every gear to the max... 3rd goes almost till 100, 4th 120 and then the 5th struggles to reach 140...I thought it would go until 160...

I've checked the section of the single carb last night...lots of things.. I've even emailed they guy that does the manifolds and he pointed me to the right direction..

http://vtcportal.com/en/home/36-single- ... retor.html 425 euros it's a fair price?? or it's too much

as for the sound I sat down yesterday to track it. It seems that my carbs are "sneezing" a lot more that I was thinking. It was sneezing every 2 seconds and I think that is what is causing the knock noise..

a friend of mine who's a mechanic told me that is doing mini explosions and that's affecting the piston so that's why I hear the knocks.
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: daz1985 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:25 pm

If the bike is struggling to reach its max in top gear a higher ratio would mean that the bike would struggle even more. It is a fine balance between the gearing and power.
Maybe the bike has been run too rich for a while causing coke build up on the valves meaning they don't quite seat properly, compression would then be pushed back through the carbs the same as if it were valve clearances, If it is pushing compression back to the carbs the bike would be down on power as well. Is this "spitting" being pushed up out of the carb? If so I would say that you have one or both of the above issues, also the sound of the piston firing would be heard through the inlet, Like a loud knock or bang.
As for price it's not really a thing you can avoid as I doubt these manifolds are produced in there thousands.
daz1985
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

honda ns125r 1987
honda cbr600 f1 1987
triumph tiger 1050 2007

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:15 am

Yesterday I sat down to listen the noise (the knock)....I'm pretty sure now that it comes from the carbs or is because of the carbs....The one carb has a lot of fuel around it...the other one is clean..that means there is a leak or is spitting the fuel out from somewhere...I had my valves adjust last month..I don't know if my mechanic could see if they sit good or not? is it in view? when you open it for adjustment? If it is, then my mechanic would see if they sit good or not..
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Jaycyorkshire » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:48 pm

I got some shocks of eBay for a sportster there about an inch or so shorter I just had to drill the sleeves in the bushes bigger to fit, they are very stiff tho probably would have been cheaper to just do a hard tail haha oh and they where about £80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaycyorkshire
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Xv535 1993

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Your carbs need rebuilt. Do that and that will solve most of your top speed issue.

If you go to a single carb, your top speed will suffer.

The final drive from another VIrago ( 700, 750, 920, 1000, 1100 ) will not fit the 535.

Do not even consider using the swing arm from any of the aforementioned models, they will not interchange.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 am

Jake wrote:Your carbs need rebuilt. Do that and that will solve most of your top speed issue.

If you go to a single carb, your top speed will suffer.

The final drive from another VIrago ( 700, 750, 920, 1000, 1100 ) will not fit the 535.

Do not even consider using the swing arm from any of the aforementioned models, they will not interchange.

Hi Jake.

I was thinking going to one carb for the following reasosns: Steel manifolds instead of rubber, new manifold, new carb (40mm), and one less carb to worry...

But I thought one bigger carb will give me an extra power..it wont?

Do you know any final drive that will much in 535?

Jaycyorkshire thanks for the info...I will check them out.
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 am

If you want performance, two carbs.

If you want simplicity, one carb.

There isn’t any final drive that I know of.

Rebuild your carbs, you’d be amazed at the difference and it’s the cheapest way to go.

If you aren’t satisfied after that and you want more power and want to go faster, buy a bigger motorcycle.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:24 am

What he said. I'd also be concerned with heat soak through the steel manifold. Also rubber manifolds flex with the vibrations of the bike. Steel does not flex. That can lead to issues too.

Personally I'd rebuild your stockers.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '82 XV920R

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:45 am

Cheers guys, ok if i go that way I wll go the right way..

so I found these: https://yambits.co.uk/xv535-virago-carb ... 77408.html & https://yambits.co.uk/xv535-virago-carb ... 77409.html

Front and rear full repair kit....It should do the Job...My concern is the manifolds..They have some marks of wear and I don't want to go all this trouble with the carbs and then find out that the manifolds suck air...Is their any way to repair them? Tie them with a tape? or glue them somehow? or go to the steel version? you mentioned above concerns about the heat, but how 2 to 1 steel manifold deals with that?

edit...https://ebay.to/2vwdr16 foudn these rubber intakes... I changed twice my manifolds until now...One with Chinese which was a disaster..they were like fake...and one with second hand originals but which is the ones that I have now...The genuine parts I think there too much, so what do you think about this ones? it promises OEM quality and it's at a reasonable price...they don't look fake like the Chinese..
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm

I almost always, 99.9%, of the time buy OEM parts. They can/may cost a bit more but you know they will fit, seal and last. If you've keeping the bike they are cheaper in the long run.

Most of the online Yamaha parts places are reasonable, but shop a couple of them for the best price.

For Yamaha parts I typically use Partzilla.

For my RZ350 project I used Yambits and was disappointed. Many of the parts were not OEM, but copies for China or India.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Hellgate wrote:I almost always, 99.9%, of the time buy OEM parts. They can/may cost a bit more but you know they will fit, seal and last. If you've keeping the bike they are cheaper in the long run.

Most of the online Yamaha parts places are reasonable, but shop a couple of them for the best price.

For Yamaha parts I typically use Partzilla.

For my RZ350 project I used Yambits and was disappointed. Many of the parts were not OEM, but copies for China or India.

I would agree but it will cost me almost 400 euros (including custom taxes) to get the two OEM intakes....400 euros for two rubbers is way to much...
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Is that due to import taxes?

Which pn are you referring to, as nothing is close to $220 ea.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... air-filter
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: oikopedo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 am

Hellgate wrote:Is that due to import taxes?

Which pn are you referring to, as nothing is close to $220 ea.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... air-filter

from 1-7 ..I would need two of each right?

plus 50-60 delivery, plus 19% for the tax customs.
oikopedo
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Hellgate » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am

Yikes, 19%, and $50 shipping. Well that explains it.

It's weird. I order bicycle parts from the UK and shipping is free.
Pete
'12 Tuono V4R APRC
'05 R6 Track Bike
'88 RD350 YPVS
'82 XV920RJ
Hellgate
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Next

Post a reply