VTF Google Search
 Click Here

No Spark Problem

• Advertisement

Post a reply

No Spark Problem

PostAuthor: oren09 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:31 am

Hello all.

I am working on a 1987 XV535. The bike has been sitting for an unknown time and when I got it home, I was able to get the bike to sputter and run a bit with starting fluid.
I have removed and cleaned the carbs, replacing the jets, float valves, and gaskets. Carbs are now reinstalled, but there is no longer any spark.

Plugs are new, safety switches and kill switch are operational. Bike cranks. No spark from either coil. Battery voltage a R/W wires.
Pickup coil is in spec. Cylinder 1 ignition coil primary side is in spec. Cylinder 2 coil primary side is below spec (.5ohm). Secondary sides of both coils have no continuity.
I have never seen two coils with no reading on the secondary side. Is it possible both coils have gone bad in the month or so the bike has been sitting while I was working on the carbs?

If the coils are not the issue, the only thing left would be the TCI I think.

Any input?

oren09
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1987 Virago 535
Sex: Male

Re: No Spark Problem

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 am

If you don't have continuity on the secondary side of the coils, that's your problem. There is a resistor inside the plug cap, check to make sure it is clean, no rust or corrosion and the resistor is good. 5K ohms.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement