Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Struggling to Identify Exact Bike Model

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Struggling to Identify Exact Bike Model

PostAuthor: kekersguy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:42 am

I have a XV535S (UK) date of registration from DVALA is 1998, however I think it is a earlier model only registered in 1998, it has the red and cream tank with the brown seat with dimples.

The reason I need to know is, in the Haynes manual there are several options on the correct parts and the critical date is 1996 i.e 1996 or later is part x

My VIN 2YL-0293117 is, the Haynes manual does not list this model.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what bike I actually have.

Thanks.

kekersguy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: xv535 1996
Sex: Male

Re: Struggling to Identify Exact Bike Model

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:58 am

Hmmm...weird...."2YL"-->> 88'-91'. Least on this chart. Haven't looked at much though. Not tooo close to the later 90s.
And...10 digits.

http://0mniverse.com/motorcycle/Yamaha% ... 20VIN.html
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: nethopper214 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:17 am

kekersguy wrote:I have a XV535S (UK) date of registration from DVALA is 1998, however I think it is a earlier model only registered in 1998, it has the red and cream tank with the brown seat with dimples.

The reason I need to know is, in the Haynes manual there are several options on the correct parts and the critical date is 1996 i.e 1996 or later is part x

My VIN 2YL-0293117 is, the Haynes manual does not list this model.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what bike I actually have.

Thanks.

In the U.S. VIN's are 17 characters, if it is the same in the U.K., you need a few more characters. VIN is on the steering neck of your Virago.
nethopper214
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100 Special

PostAuthor: kekersguy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:12 pm

I have another clue, I got into the carbs via the float bowl side (LH) and struggled to get the rh cover off, it was getting trapped by the throttle cable and housing.

All the manuals, diagrams, videos I have seen, the throttle cable is on the other side and makes access to the float bowls easy.

Anyone have their cable on the left? Is this an indication to what year of bike I have.

Thanks.

kekersguy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:01 am

Could this be of any help?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... rago/1988/

1988: Yamaha XV535 Virago was introduced with very similar spec to the later versions. The first model had a tiny, 8.6 litre, underseat fuel tank which was ditched later that year for a proper, 13.5 litre version.
1996: Minor update, including new mirrors, an improved gear box and extended mufflers.
2004: Yamaha XV535 Virago discontinued.
Other versions
Yamaha XV535S: Introduced in 1994, the XV535S ran alongside the standard Virago until they were both discontinued in 1997. It had more chrome fittings, a buttoned, cushioned seat and two-tone paint. In 1996, further updates included a “butterknife” sidestand and an optional sissy bar.
Yamaha XV535DX: This model replaced both the standard and S models in 1998. Similar spec but with chrome plated engine casings and side stand. It also got a new seat. The last of the XV535 Viragos, it was discontinued in 2004.

Looks like you have a 1994-97 S-model, but I cannot guarantee anything.

As to the carbs, could someone have managed to put them on backwards/180 degrees off?
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: kekersguy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:47 am

faffi wrote:Could this be of any help?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... rago/1988/

1988: Yamaha XV535 Virago was introduced with very similar spec to the later versions. The first model had a tiny, 8.6 litre, underseat fuel tank which was ditched later that year for a proper, 13.5 litre version.
1996: Minor update, including new mirrors, an improved gear box and extended mufflers.
2004: Yamaha XV535 Virago discontinued.
Other versions
Yamaha XV535S: Introduced in 1994, the XV535S ran alongside the standard Virago until they were both discontinued in 1997. It had more chrome fittings, a buttoned, cushioned seat and two-tone paint. In 1996, further updates included a “butterknife” sidestand and an optional sissy bar.
Yamaha XV535DX: This model replaced both the standard and S models in 1998. Similar spec but with chrome plated engine casings and side stand. It also got a new seat. The last of the XV535 Viragos, it was discontinued in 2004.

Looks like you have a 1994-97 S-model, but I cannot guarantee anything.

As to the carbs, could someone have managed to put them on backwards/180 degrees off?

Hi Faffi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I guess I might never be able to pin it down, no big deal, although the Haynes manual often differentiates between a 1996 and onwards. Re the throttle cable position, its a mystery, carbs are the right way round.

Cheers :bg:

kekersguy
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: faffi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Your dealer probably, and your importer absolutely, should be able to tell you exactly what model year your bike is.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Bern » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Hi bud, bit late to the game, if it helps mine is deffo 14/07/1997 VIN ... 2YL 0293871
The the red and cream tank with the brown seat with dimples, were definately current for 535S in '97, but may have also been used for previous/later years ?

Bern
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 xv 535 Virago

PostAuthor: nethopper214 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Bern wrote:Hi bud, bit late to the game, if it helps mine is deffo 14/07/1997 VIN ... 2YL 0293871
The the red and cream tank with the brown seat with dimples, were definately current for 535S in '97, but may have also been used for previous/later years ?

Bern,
2YL 0293871 is only the Engines VIN not the Vehicle (Bike) VIN.

There are more characters, in the U.S. there are 17 numbers that make up the vehicle VIN.

Look around the frame steering neck for the 17 characters.
nethopper214
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 Virago 1100 Special

PostAuthor: Bern » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:18 am

nethopper214 wrote:
Bern wrote:Hi bud, bit late to the game, if it helps mine is deffo 14/07/1997 VIN ... 2YL 0293871

Bern,
2YL 0293871 is only the Engines VIN not the Vehicle (Bike) VIN.

There are more characters, in the U.S. there are 17 numbers that make up the vehicle VIN.

Look around the frame steering neck for the 17 characters.

Hi nethopper

That's deffo my VIN number bud, think we have a different numbering system in the UK

kekersguy, take your rider seat off, there should be a white sticker on top of the left handside of the saddle support sub-frame, top line will be the year & type identifier (mine is 4KUV which is 1997 with high bars) bottom line is colour code.
With regard to throttle cables you should have, throttle opening cable on the left (between float chambers) AND throttle closing cable on the right (between the diaphragm covers

HTH

Bern
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Bern » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:58 am

Pic's ...........

Bern
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 pm

It's been said that Haynes has errors (& not always correct) - ditto of others.

IMO: consensus of multiple sources are better. see also Clymer and YamahaPubs >>> https://www.yamahapubs.com/cart (although OEM illustration-pics are sometimes over-Xeroxed looking [too dark]
and don't forget,,, that's why we're here. :naughty: :bg:

find an EU or UK dealer/part supplier you like & they should be able to get you the correct P/N. >>> i.e. https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/c/yam ... ycle/parts
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies --- whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not --- :fan:

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely ---> Semper Vigilans --- always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Thomas Paine --- 1776 December 23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV535