Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Rattling noise then pop. Now bike won't start(SOLVED)

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Rattling noise then pop. Now bike won't start(SOLVED)

PostAuthor: Barberetti » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Hey all,

So I'm riding my 1994 xv535 and this irregular rattling sound starts. I pull over and have a listen and it sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine near the starter motor. I know I should have turned it off right there, but I'm about a mile from my dads, and also looking to buy a new bike anyway, so figured what the hell. Just made it to my dad's and there's a louder clang sound, smell of burning for a few seconds and the bike stutters for a few seconds. After that, no more rattling at all, so I pulled onto the driveway and turned the engine off.

Now the bike won't start. There's a whirring sound but no spark from either plug. Pulled the starter motor off and opened it up and that's fine. Figured I'd check it just to make sure, as that's where it sounded like the rattling was coming from initially.

Any ideas?
Barberetti
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 XV535 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Rattling noise then pop. Now bike won't start

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Barberetti wrote:Hey all,

Now the bike won't start. There's a whirring sound but no spark from either plug. ...

Any ideas?

is the engine turning over / cranking? or only the starter spinning?

possibly you may have shed your starter clutch >>> https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam ... ter-clutch

:con:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am

:yup: 535's have a habit of sheering the pins on the starter clutch, https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamah ... ter-clutch
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province, and Country.
It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
2007 Honda ST1300A
1987 Honda TLR200

PostAuthor: Barberetti » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Well that's easy enough to check so I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Thanks for the replies guys :):
Barberetti
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:50 pm

let us know how it goes.

so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

... Mark Twain

The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 am

To me it sounds like the starter engaged during the ride, be that the mechanism only or also starter motor. Continuing to run the engine with the starter engaged is never a good idea. My son did that once with his old Volvo, and he was very lucky only to ruin the starter motor and pinion, while the flywheel gear ring was intact.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 pm

:yup: Same experience with a '61 Volvo 544, except it happened at highway speed and burned out the wiring harness. (Wonder if Volvo had a history of this, having heard faffi's reference....and not trying to jack this thread, just confirming that having the starter engage is not a good thing!)
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: faffi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Could well be a Volvo issue :ops: Yours was a B16, I presume? His was a B20. Still similar configuration, although quite different in detail.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:48 am

Faffi, sent you a PM to avoid thread jacking.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: Barberetti » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Hey all,

Yeah, shed the starter cluch. Got if off today after my balance puller finally arrived. Just ordered a replacement off Ebay so hopefully I'll be back on the road next week sometime :bg:

Thanks again everyone :thanks:
Barberetti
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:20 pm

so we should mark this as Solved?

... Mark Twain

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Barberetti » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Yes please!
Barberetti
Junior Membership
Junior Membership