Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Anyone tried Bridgestone L303 vs Avon RoadRiders tires

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Anyone tried Bridgestone L303 vs Avon RoadRiders tires

PostAuthor: jskrwyk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:26 am

I recently purchased a Virago XV535 that had been sitting for a while (although receiving regularly services from the dealership). The current tyres are Continental Blitz on the front and Metzeler Perfect ME77 on the rear. They have decent tread but where I live (Scotland) we get fairly wet weather, and due to the age of the tyres I'm looking at fitting some new ones.

I've looked around at reviews and spoke to the dealerships and the two recommendations I've came across are Bridgestone L303 or Avon AM26 RoadRider on the front and Bridgestone Exedra Max or Avon AV72 Cobra on the rear. Has anyone given either of these a try and can provide their thoughts? I want something with decent range and good wet performance so those are my key criteria. The current Continental Blitz on the front seems especially bad for white lining slipping in the dry, never mind what it'll be like in the wet.

I hope this hasn't been posted before, I did search for tires/tyres but all I could find were discussions about pressure and size; If it has been asked can you link me the thread.
1997 Virago XV535 (UK)
jskrwyk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 XV535 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Anyone tried Bridgestone L303 vs Avon RoadRiders tires

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:17 am

jskrwyk wrote: The current Continental Blitz on the front seems especially bad for white lining slipping in the dry, never mind what it'll be like in the wet.

Hmm...don't think there's a motorcycle tire made that won't slide/skip out.. on painted concrete/blacktop/asphalt. Be it center lines, crosswalks..whatever.
Have had ContiTours (same tread pattern as the Blitz front, diff compound) since I own the bike..85'. Never had a problem scrap'n pegs in the rain. :bg: Sadden they don't make them anymore. Always were the best in the rain. They were replace with the Milestone. Use to have independent testing data on wet pavement traction. Continental always won among a 10 tire shootout. Even the entry level Blitz. It's all in the tread pattern. IMHO, any rib front tire, ya wanna stay away from. Some feel these are better for traction..nope..those are just too squirrelly. But the choice is always the riders'. Solely my opinions and should not influence anyone/in any way from buying the tires he/she wants. That's why there's about a zillion tires out there. JMO :cl:
Good luck on your search.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 xv1000 Virago
1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Don't know the L303, but the L307 is the worst tyre I've every used by some margin, and the Exedra G702 wasn't much better. For my cruiser, I found the Pirelli MT66 to be excellent; smooth ride, great grip and fantastic mileage.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pir ... e-66-tires
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:20 am

faffi wrote:Don't know the L303, but the L307 is the worst tyre I've every used by some margin

Just looking at those two..I could only imagine. Rain-grooved roads?...no way. You'd be dance'n all over the place.
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: jskrwyk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:18 am

Flyingdog wrote:
jskrwyk wrote: The current Continental Blitz on the front seems especially bad for white lining slipping in the dry, never mind what it'll be like in the wet.

Hmm...don't think there's a motorcycle tire made that won't slide/skip out.. on painted concrete/blacktop/asphalt. Be it center lines, crosswalks..whatever..

Of course nothing is going to be perfect, but there are certainly some tyres that are worse than others. On the current ones that whole front-end jumps changing lanes even on a dry hot day. Previous tyres I've had (albeit on different bikes) have always been generally good in the dry only slipping a bit in the wet.
1997 Virago XV535 (UK)
jskrwyk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: Flyingdog » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:15 am

jskrwyk wrote:On the current ones that whole front-end jumps changing lanes even on a dry hot day.

On the Blitzs'? That don't sound right. Got a Blitz on the wifes' 750 front end. Never a problem. And I've pushed it hard (too hard at times), checking something else. I'd be looking at the tire bead/forks/head bearings or something. Before blaming the tire, itself. Just to be sure & safe. Seemings how there's only "two" pieces of rubber between us and a very hard surface.JMO
Flyingdog
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

1981 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: jskrwyk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Flyingdog wrote:
jskrwyk wrote:On the current ones that whole front-end jumps changing lanes even on a dry hot day.

On the Blitzs'? That don't sound right. Got a Blitz on the wifes' 750 front end. Never a problem. And I've pushed it hard (too hard at times), checking something else. I'd be looking at the tire bead/forks/head bearings or something. Before blaming the tire, itself. Just to be sure & safe. Seemings how there's only "two" pieces of rubber between us and a very hard surface.JMO

I'll definitely give those things a look. The tyres need replaced anyway since they're 15 - 16 years old based on the production date marked (which could certainly be playing into it), and they had been sitting for a number of years before I got the bike. I'm getting the Avon's fitted tomorrow but I'll give the forks and head bearing a look as well.

In comparison to the 750, it could be because those are slightly wider from what I can tell looking at sizings. The 535's front tyre is pretty much exactly the width of the white line, which means when you're crossing it the tyre is completely on the line at one stage rather than having a bit of rubber still touching the road surface. Combined with the largish centre groove the Blitz's have there isn't going to be much grip contact when crossing.

UPDATE 15/07/2018

Got the Avon's (RoadRiders on front, Cobra's on rear) fitted yesterday. So far I've driven about 60 miles (40 dry, 20 wet) so they're not properly dug in yet but the difference has been immense. The bike feels like it's stuck to the road in all condition – straights, corners, temporary surface, and white lines – both in the dry and the wet (in fact I didn't notice any changes in the wet at all). If others have said the Blitz's are good then it could be as I said previously because of the slightly smaller size on the 535 or it could have been simply due to their age (15 years since manufacture) but even before running them in I would recommend the Avon's 200%.
1997 Virago XV535 (UK)
jskrwyk
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV535