Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Petcock output mystery

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Petcock output mystery

PostAuthor: sbrbot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 pm

On xv535 motorcycle electromagnetic petcock is under the lower (main) tank. It has two tubules immersed in the tank - higher taking fuel when the fuel level is normal, and lower one taking fuel from the bottom of tank when fuel level is low (on reserve). In order petcock to start taking fuel from reserve one should switch from "ON" to "RES".

Now mystery - petcock's output goes again into tank! Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that fuel from petcock actually does not go into tank but into tube which passes through the tank (exiting on top of tank) then goes further -> to fuel filter -> fuel pump -> carbs. Is that correct that fuel exiting from petcock goes into tube which passes through tank!? Why it does not go directly to fuel filter through rubber tube?

sbrbot
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 xv535 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Petcock output mystery

PostAuthor: Bubba1982 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:19 am

Wow your tank is in good condition!! What year is your bike? I Just removed mine due to a leak (poor repair by a previous owner) and mine is looking very sorry for itself..

In answer to your question, I think the reason it's designed this way is to allow the fuel pump to draw the fuel up when switched to reserve, that's what I think from looking at it on my bike, seems such a complex system, they should have just stuck to basics and gravity fed fuel and not made the frame part of the air induction/ house the huge air filter.

Bubba1982
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 xv535 Viragp

PostAuthor: sbrbot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am

Indeed, this tank is in excelent condition but that's not my tank. I took this picture (already ulpaded file in past) from this forum. I haven't disassembled my tank yet. If I had disassembled it I would have cheched this mystery with pipe through tank :-).

OK, basic gravity fed fuels has its own drawbacks (leak). Fuel pump generally is barrier between tank and engine and prevents leak into carbs when motocycle is turned off.

sbrbot
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 xv535 Virago

PostAuthor: Bubba1982 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:07 am

fair enough :-)

sbrbot wrote:Indeed, this tank is in excelent condition but that's not my tank. I took this picture (already ulpaded file in past) from this forum. I haven't disassembled my tank yet. If I had disassembled it I would have cheched this mystery with pipe through tank :-).

OK, basic gravity fed fuels has its own drawbacks (leak). Fuel pump generally is barrier between tank and engine and prevents leak into carbs when motocycle is turned off.

Bubba1982
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 xv535 Viragp

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV535