VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Stuck Carburetor Please Help

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Stuck Carburetor Please Help

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:03 am

Hello there,

I was gifted (if that's what you call it) a 1997 XV535 with 8,300 miles on it. Neighbor says he last tried (about a year ago) after changing the battery. It would turn over but when he gave it gas it would just die.

I'm thinking wow, I'd love this, low miles, take it to a shop and let them worry about it. I freaking call around and to my astonishment most motorcycle shops treat me like I have the plague (no Joke). I yelped 3 shops and they all said they all have cutoffs - year 2000 -because of the availability of parts and/or that the virago didn't excite them.

So in lieu of donating it... I do what any self respecting/desperate fellow would do... search the net. I've read it's most likely a carburetor issue and if not it will probably need the carbs cleaned anyway. So I pull the seat, tank, and yank out the carbs out. In the process, I've noticed both Carb diaphragm slides are stuck in the closed position... completely seized. This is with the carbs out and the diaphragm covers off. The diaphragms look to be in great condition but the black cylinders which are supposed to move up and down freely don't budge. I didn't try to pry them up with anything yet... should I?

Any suggestions you can offer would greatly be appreciated!

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 xv535 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Stuck Carburetor Please Help

PostAuthor: 68guns » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:47 am

Not sure if there's a better way but mine were frozen solid as well. A lot of patience, a gentle touch and plenty of carb cleaner and mine freed up. Just needed to dissolve the varnish. Someone else here may have a better idea or a trick to this but ultimately those carbs are probably gonna need a nice deep clean anyway. Good luck!
- Jerry

68guns
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 85 XV1000

PostAuthor: Cusstout 1100 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:14 am

I've found that Seafoam Deep Creap works well at freeing up seriously gummed up carb parts. Spray it on generously, let it sit, repeat if necessary.
My Ride, '97 XV1100, +14, 10" over forks, progressive rear, Jardine forward controls, cobra slip-ons, K&N Filter, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Kuryakin grips, heat demon heaters, custom fabricated seat, chrome side covers, bullet signals, risers, custom modified rear fender with modified FZ1 tail light, sectioned and reversed front fender, custom paint...

Cusstout 1100
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1997 xv1100 Virago
1987 xv535 Virago
1985 xv1000 Virago

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Thank you both for the quick replies. I'll spray and pray. Tell ya how it goes.

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Howdy. Welcome to VTF.

:yup:
most dealers will only try to sell you a 'new' ride. many of the viragos are older than their techs, but are of a design that can worked on with-out having to to be "factory" trained & requiring "factory tools".
so doing your own work is what's left - and you're better off for it in the long-run.
-1. you'll get to know your ride better.
-2. you'll know the work was done properly. [not to mention the money savings]

the "draw-backs" are;
-1. you must invest some "elbow-grease" and get dirty.
-2. you must chase your own parts.
however; that all helps quieten that 'little voice' in your head when you are out in the 'boondocks' that whispers "what if 'x' happens?"
knowing what you have learned, you will be 'ahead of that curve', and you may even be able to help someone else out there who isn't as prepared/inspired yet. [bikers are all family, right?]

when the spray loosens the slides & if it' seems to be running ok, I would do the Seafoam Trick* to help "dust-off" the fuel system. sometimes that is all it takes to get her back 'in-shape'.

* 1/2 can of Seafoam to tank of fresh gas, then ride until you need a refill; repeat with other 1/2 can. [be sure the gas is fresh/good quality - hasn't been aging in Mom & Pops under-ground storage tank] for this
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

I was able to loosen it with the Sea Foam Deep Creep (and a screw driver). Mark75: In regard to your tip on using the sea foam in the gas, I assume you mean the seafoam motor treatmeant (fuel additive) and not the Sea Foam Deep Creep I just bought.

Thank you once again.

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:08 pm

yep. ---> https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

there are other fuel system cleaner/additives out there [BG 44-K, Berryman, Techron, MMO, etc] but viragos seem to respond to Seafoam best.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'82 - XV750

And ---
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:34 pm

If you can get the carbs apart and remove the plastic and neoprene components, boil them in a mixture of 2/3 REAL LEMON Juice to 1/3 water and let simmer for about 30 minutes. That procedure will remove most anything from the jets and small orifices.
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:02 am

I was going to break it down as much as I could and dip it for a couple of hours in some Chemdip.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berryman-Che ... r/17491945. Seems to get decent reviews.

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:06 pm

:yup:
just mind that the plastic components don't get dissolved along with the varnish.

'82 - XV750

And ---
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I reassembled the carb and it will go back this weekend. I have another issue. I believe the gas is over a year old. I think there's about a half a cup of gas in the main tank and in the reserve tank under the seat is about half full. I was going to put some in gas into the main tank and swish it around and get rid of the old. What's the easiest way to get the old gas out of the reserve tank or should i just try to use it. Second hand bike... guessing the gas was over year old. Also... should I make this a separate post since it's off topic to my original?

Thanks.

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm

jimmyalameda wrote: should I make this a separate post since it's off topic to my original?

Not too far off topic, no need to start a new thread.
Forum Tutorials can be found here http://viragotechforum.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Forward Control Templates ( FREE ) http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=21556

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: mark75 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

if it was an 1100, I would disconnect the fuel line from the sub-tank to [at] the fuel pump and catch the old fuel there. [could be diluted into car or lawnmower]

yours is a 535 [I think] so I am not sure of how similar is the 'geography' - either way I would not use the old gas unless absolutely necessary.

although it would probably start & run ok with just adding fresh gas, you could be subjecting your carbs to any varnish/contamination suspended in the old fuel. [+ you'll want to inspect the tank for rust]

'82 - XV750

And ---
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 pm

So if I want to create a siphon to get the gas out then I need to figure out which of the two connections from the reservoir is to the fuel pump and disconnect that one. So that one that connection that has a hose that must go to the bottom of the tank and the other is just to allow air in to equalize the pressure?

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:09 pm

if the 535 is like the 1100 - the thicker line is for fuel, and the thinner line is for venting.

If you disconnect the fuel-line from the sub-tank at the inlet to the fuel pump - that should then drain both tanks by gravity.
on the 1100, the pump is lower than both gas-tanks so it's gravity fed in that respect.
I don't have a 535 to look at, but expect it is similar to the 1100. ---> http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/yam/ ... -xv1100s-t

'82 - XV750

And ---
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Wow... one thing to the next. I just opened the gas cap and it's rusted inside the tank. I want to give it a soap bath, dry it and then put muriatic acid in it (with bb's to agitate), dry it, and then seal it with POR-15. My question is... for the sealing part do I have to worry about accidentally sealing the three openings that are on the bottom since I obviously can't see inside the 535's tank.

Thanks.

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 pm

this is only my opinion --- POR-15 is a great product - I have used it before - but ---
if you are facing rust only and are not experiencing fuel weeping from pin-holes, I would just remove the rust and keep an eye out in the future.

a paper-type fuel filter is a good idea anytime, and keeping the tank full will prevent most of the rust reoccurring - except where metal is exposed to moisture in the air.

you would not want to use a product that can be too aggressive towards the metal in your tank [muriatic/hydrochloric acid are also hazardous to humans], instead I would use phosphoric acid ---> http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt ... solver.htm

or even Citric acid [or Ascorbic acid/lemon juice] ---> http://www.instructables.com/id/Removin ... tric-Acid/ either is strong enough to attack rust [iron oxide] but weaker at attacking metallic iron.
- commercial citric acid will etch concrete.

the phosphoric acid [Naval Jelly] is similar and IMO stronger @ attacking the rust, and it leaves a coating sort-of-like 'Parkerizing". ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

- uncertain if the Navy does actually use it ... re. the name [vs navel jelly - which points us in a direction that no-one wants to go] :naughty: :lol:

'82 - XV750

And ---
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks again. I'll try the Naval Jelly. I was only inclined to use muriatic acid because I have used it in other applications... it's to clean off live rock in the saltwater fish hobby.

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: jimmyalameda » Mon May 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Poured a container of naval jelly and a quarter carton of bb's (for agitation) and shook periodically for 24 hours. Worked well. Thank god for the telescopic magnet or I would not have been able to remove the bbs.

It's all together and it started after a long struggle. It doesn't ride well though... (I just cleaned the carbs and main tank) It's idling but when I put it into gear and give it gas it sputters (instead of revving) but will rev 2 seconds later. It might be because I'm still burning off the old gas that was in my subtank or my spark plugs might need to be changed. I'd like to change the spark plugs. It's a 97- 525 and Im in California. Are the two spark plugs the same? The clymber manual said for CH: and for NON CH: it was another sparkplug... what's CH: a reference to? THANKS!

jimmyalameda
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Next

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV535