Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Wont roll with clutch pulled in

• Advertisement

Post a reply

Wont roll with clutch pulled in

PostAuthor: sorrensmith » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 am

I had a dead battery and wanted to pop start the bike so I turned the key and threw it into second. Tried pushing but it was incredibly hard and with 2 people we could barley get it to move. Further inspection the rear tire seems to be locked but only when the bike is off. Im assuming its because of the shaft drive.

sorrensmith
Brand New
Brand New

Flag
Bike year & model: 1987 Yamaha Virago 535XV
Sex: Male

Re: Wont roll with clutch pulled in

PostAuthor: faffi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:34 am

It is not unusual for the clutch to stick when cold. When you pull the clutch and pop it into gear with the engine running, the shock will force the clutch to release. You can hear this force in the from of a clunk when you put it into gear.

You can push the bike up to a brisk walking pace, preferably downhill, and kick it into 2nd gear. If you have the clutch pulled, it should free. If you do not use the clutch, either the bike will stop with a skid or the wheel starts rotating the engine. I would recommend doing it with the clutch pulled in.

This has nothing to do with the shaft, BTW, and all to do with the clutch.
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

Re: Wont roll with clutch pulled in

PostAuthor: mark75 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:45 am

:yup:
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Yamaha Virago XV535