Forum Donations
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Broken shaft drive...fixed

The forum of thankless praise is just how it sounds.
This is where you praise those who have helped you without expecting thanks in return.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Broken shaft drive...fixed

PostAuthor: Veryancientbiker71 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 am

Just a quick note to thank whoever posted a fix for a broken shaft drive. I own a BT1100 bulldog and the shaft snapped while riding through the Cotswolds late one winter evening last year. I managed to hobble back to the garage and started to find the cause of the clunky problem. Trying to find information on a fix took me almost a year, and just when I was about to scrap the bike I came across a picture on your forum showing exactly the same problem on a Virago 1100.
Both bikes have the same engine. I could not believe my eyes, especially as the genius who posted it also posted a taking courage in both hands, I followed his instructions, reassembled bike as most of it was in bits by this time. It started second try, and is now back on the road and going better than ever. The BT 1100 forum has ceased to exist in the U.K. and migrated to German is non existant and no info on broken thanks again you guys. Yamaha replacement bits are priced beyond the reach of pensioners, so this fix only cost me £60.

Brand New
Brand New
Bike year & model: Bt1100bulldog 2002
Sex: Male

Re: Broken shaft drive...fixed

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Glad you got the problem fixed. You might try using the Google Translator on the German site... Perhaps post the fix you found here to their site. It might be of value to someone who has a similar problem in the future.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Thankless praise