Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

You guys rock! Thank you!

The forum of thankless praise is just how it sounds.
This is where you praise those who have helped you without expecting thanks in return.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

You guys rock! Thank you!

PostAuthor: 68guns » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:29 pm

I recently posted in new members but wanted to throw out a general thank you.

I took an 85 XV1000 in trade for a little plumbing about 3 months ago.
It hadn't run in about 10 years and I figured a challenge would be fun during snow season.

It's really seen better days but the guy said it ran perfectly till he rebuilt the carbs. After that he couldn't get it to stop spewing fuel.

Thanks to you all that regularly contribute help, I dove in.

Pulled the carbs apart (freaking nightmare getting them out). They were covered in a hard green film and so much varnish. I was patient and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. Got them looking new inside and out. Adjusted floats, etc, and put them back in. Cleaned both tanks and...

Nothing. Cause the motor was frozen solid. Again, I pulled up your (OUR) forums and with a couple days patience, freed her up. Tossed in a fresh battery and...

Nothing. Lol. Cranked but no fire. Checked spark and fuel delivery and still nothing.
Starter fluid gave me a sputter and I about peed myself with excitement!

Read about a dozen more posts here and took those freaking carbs out again. Checked float levels and adjusted them a bit more AFTER using the high-E guitar string someone recommended to clean the pilot circuit.

Put them back in, hit the starter and she started and idled!!! Bless your heart carb-rebuild posters!!

Then, speedo problems, disassembled thanks to you, all better. No turn signals, opened up the housing and WAY worse than the gunk I found in the speedo. Disassembled every piece, connection and contact in there, cleaned every spring, detent ball, contact. Reassembled and man. Works like a charm. Self canceled and all.

I could go on for days. Took my first LONG ride today. 20 miles, lol. I'm in love. Thank you all so much for being so kind and willing to help. You. Rock.
- Jerry

68guns
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 85 XV1000
Sex: Male

Re: You guys rock! Thank you!

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:46 am

That's what VTF is all about --- "knees-in-the-breeze". [and like-minds sharing] :bg:

Tip for next[?] time - spray the float valve / seat with WD-40, or Gibbs Oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc. when putting it back together to try help it not get stuck open.
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun :yahoo: ... or not ... :fan:
And ---
Any day above ground is a good day. so Laissez les bon temps roulez ...
just roll safely

"I hear and I forget,
I see and I remember,
I do and I understand."
... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain
mark75
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: faffi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:03 am

You have shown amazing stamina working your way through all these issues :GJ:
faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel

PostAuthor: 68guns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:11 am

I'll keep the float valve tip in mind. Next time, sigh. Lol
Gonna try to get the wife to take a few rides with me before I start a bobber obsession and chop off the back seat.
- Jerry

68guns
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 85 XV1000

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Thankless praise