Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

starter remedy

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

starter remedy

PostAuthor: 2700xx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:34 am

I upgraded 83 750 with a second generation starter and after several setbacks (losing cam timing orientation on rear cylinder when changing flywheel with a better specimen, no spark due to not shimming pick-up sensor for ignition with new left side engine cover installed to name a couple) the starter would not stay engaged with the flywheel.

I had a new 4 brush motor, new starter gear, I even de-burred the flywheel teeth and coated the teeth with a dry moly coating when it was apart, new fully charged battery that was 12.71 volts on a digital fluke meter.

Come on now, give me a break.

While I was contemplating exactly which spot in the Sake River canyon I was going to shove the Kobashi Maru (my wife's name for the bike) I noticed some metal shims in the tool chest that came from a chevy starter. Chevy uses shims sometimes to space the starter gear from the flywheel and the wheels started turning. Would shimming my solenoid back a little help the starter engagement?

With little to loose I ground off one side (so they would fit and not rub on the solenoid plunger shaft) of two slightly thick washers (guessing about 1/8th inch thick) and put them between the solenoid and the motor. Long story short, I wish the starter on my 92 Virago worked and sounded as good. That's all it took to get a little bit more engagement and success. To date I haven't heard of anyone else doing this so I want to spread the news. For whats it's worth that's my story, hope it helps someone.
Last edited by Jake on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formatted post for easier reading

2700xx
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1992 xv 750 virago
Sex: Male

Re: starter remedy

PostAuthor: bstig60 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:10 am

Thank's for the info. If you mean the Snake River Canyon, I am guessing you are in Idaho. Knowing your location makes it easier for use to help you with your problems. Please edit your profile to show your location.,...
Bill
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Please take the time to edit your profile to show your location. City, State/Province and Country. It is easier to help you if we know where you are.

SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545

bstig60
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100LC Cruiser,
1982 Yamaha Seca XJ750RJ w/factory touring package
2003 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Touring

Re: starter remedy

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:41 am

Would you happen to have pictures of the shims, and or the part numbers for the shims, and the exact placement of the shims ?

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles