Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Quick-release seat bolts (DIY)

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Quick-release seat bolts (DIY)

PostAuthor: Makeshift » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:53 am

I've only had my XV750 for a few weeks, but coming from a BMW K75S of 6 years, I missed being able to quickly clip any luggage on and off as I needed for the day. My bike came with generic leather saddlebags which were secured under the seat, but this still required the removal of the two bolts holding the seat; which for a lazy sod like me; was still too much effort. So as I was perusing the local hardware store, I came up with an idea to replace those two allen head bolts with ones I could undo quickly by hand.

I couldn't locate any 'wing headed bolts', so I found the next best thing; 'eye bolts' in the same M6/6mm thread as the factory bolts. I made sure to get long enough bolts as I knew the left bolt needed to be longer than the right one and I would be cutting them down to length anyway.

To get the correct length to cut the bolt to, I took the length of the factory bolt, then added what length I needed to be able to access it with my fingers, but making sure it would still fit under the side cover. (I'm missing the left side cover...) Then cut as neatly as possible to avoid messing up the thread too much.

I chased the end of the bolt to clean up the threads and filed a taper into the end to help it locate into the nut inthe frame.

Last thing was to lock two nuts against each other along the bolt to create a surface that the bolt would thread 'home' to; essentially making a bolt 'head'.

On the bike...

Right side
With cover in place

Left side Cover missing)

Being an eyelet, I used a key through the loop to get some extra leverage in the bolt since bare fingers wouldn't do much more than just nip it up.

It's simple enough to do and cost me under $5. Now I can quickly throw my saddlebags on if I need to run errands or take them off in under a minute. :cl:
Jeff | '98 XV750

Makeshift
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: Quick-release seat bolts (DIY)

PostAuthor: Icculus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:02 am

Great tip.
Icculus
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 XV750 Virago
2001 Yamaha Zuma 50cc, modded->54mph

PostAuthor: HITCAINTGRUS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 am

Thank you for this - I was just about to start working out a bolt arrangement for my seat!
Talk about timely - I wouldn't have come up with this!.
Off to the hardware tomorrow for me.
Many thanks! :thanks:
Madness takes it's toll - Please have exact change handy.

"Some say he eats Sid-chrome spanners for breakfast, and drinks brake fluid to wash them down, while others say he couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs date with a mallet, all we know is he's called HITCAINTGRUS (Head In The Clouds, @$$ IN The Gutter, R US) enterprises inc" (Said in your best Jeremy Clarkson voice impersonation).
HITCAINTGRUS
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 Yamaha 750 Virago (Basket case no longer, now Licensed and ready to ride!).

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:36 am

Pretty neat !

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: HITCAINTGRUS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Wouldn't you know it - our hardware doesn't have them.

Closest I could get was 1/4 inch dia (that's near enough to 6mm, I think) by 3 inch long (76mm) and the eye isn't welded, just folded around and butted up against the shaft. But they are Zenith 316 stainless.

See how they go - they might do the job hopefully.

"Some say he eats Sid-chrome spanners for breakfast, and drinks brake fluid to wash them down, while others say he couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs date with a mallet, all we know is he's called HITCAINTGRUS (Head In The Clouds, @$$ IN The Gutter, R US) enterprises inc" (Said in your best Jeremy Clarkson voice impersonation).
HITCAINTGRUS
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 Yamaha 750 Virago (Basket case no longer, now Licensed and ready to ride!).

PostAuthor: Makeshift » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:26 pm

HITCAINTGRUS wrote:Wouldn't you know it - our hardware doesn't have them.

Closest I could get was 1/4 inch dia (that's near enough to 6mm, I think) by 3 inch long (76mm) and the eye isn't welded, just folded around and butted up against the shaft. But they are Zenith 316 stainless.

See how they go - they might do the job hopefully.

The 'eye' shouldn't make much difference as it's just a handle that allows for tool-less removal. Report back as to whether the 1/4in thread is close enough to the M6 (6mm bolt, metric thread) thread pitch to work.

Alternatively, you could just get some long M6 nuts and bolts and some M6 wingnuts and just thread the wingnut right to the head of the bolt to make a 'wing-bolt'.

:;:
Jeff | '98 XV750

Makeshift
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1998 XV750

PostAuthor: drainplug » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:55 pm

If they are SAE thread 1/4" DON"T DO IT! it's a different thread and will screw up the metric threads. I've seen too many bikes that people have done that. Maybe you can find a hardware/ auto parts store that can order what you need. If the 1/4" doesn't work you'll be sorry.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: HITCAINTGRUS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:22 pm

No worries - might go down to the new "Masters" hardware store and see what they have in stock.
Thanks for that!
Cheers!

HITCAINTGRUS
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: HITCAINTGRUS » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:29 am

I give up.
Half a day out on the road and still no go!.
Masters is a downunder hardware chain owned by LOWES.
So they didn't have any Zenith 316 stainless welded eye bolts or even the folded ones only 1/4 inch (this in a metric country).
So being metric cruisers, only 6 mm will do.
What I did manage to find was a 6mm Zenith double ended welded eye bolt turnbuckle!
So i thought what the heck - 1 turnbuckle = two eye bolts (albeit no double nuts or washers yet).
Get it home $11 later and the actual measurement of the threaded section is 5.8 mm not 6mm according to the fine print on the back of it but the front clearly says 6mm.
I'll see if it fits or not this weekend.
Talk about frustrating - an imperial country like USA can get a simple 6mm welded stainless eye bolt but not a metric country - we can only get 1/4 inch".
Oi vey... if you wanted to destroy a country this is the way to do it - 2 different measurements system - must be a communist cold war thing to weaken us, I guess. :bg:
Sadly I was born when this was still an 'imperial' country.
Wait till they metricate time... 100 minutes in an hour, 100 seconds in a minute.
I'm done... the seat can stay as it is - unattached at the front. :ops:

HITCAINTGRUS
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: drainplug » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:12 pm

Have you tried a boat parts place?
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: HITCAINTGRUS » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:33 am

Well my turnbuckle, half worked!.
Why?
Well one end of a turnbuckle is RH thread - and the second end which was to do the other side?
Yep, you guessed it left hand thread! :;:
So now I have a 6mm hex head bolt in one said and a welded stainless eye in the other side!.
So now I can half get my seat off by hand with a key as a lever in the eyelet. :ops:
This things killin me...
BUT I did have success with my tail light issue and dash lights.
That blue wire left over inside the headlight nacell when I put the new controls on?
Well - when I start the bike and the headlight comes on... the tail light and dash lights weren't coming on!
Here's the weird bit tho - when you turn the bike off and turn the key to park lights - they do work!
Anyway, took the head light out spliced the low bean wire to the left over blue wire inside the nacell and now I have dash and tail lights when the headlight is on.
Fixed a few other minor things - split pin in the castellated nut on the rear axle - missing bolt on one of the turn signals - just small niggly stuff the examiner might pick when its inspected over the pits for licensing.
Still a few things to do.
The list however get shorter.
And I got to take her for a ride again... which is always fun now that she runs so sweet.
Guess I but another turnbuckle for another 6mm eye bolt with RH thread!.

HITCAINTGRUS
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles