Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

xv500 Speedometer removal and disassembly writeup

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

xv500 Speedometer removal and disassembly writeup

PostAuthor: nakosd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:21 am

This is a non-destructive writeup on how to slightly remove and disassemble the 500's speedo unit. This does not go into the mechanical and electrical units themselves, I believe that they are both sealed units and are not intended to be opened or serviced. The reason I took mine apart was because both of my instrument needles broke off, and both screws that held the dial plate on my speedo came out and the plate has been shaking around while riding, making the speedo nearly useless. This does not remove the speedo completely as the wiring into the speedo is not intended to be unplugged from the speedo's end. If you want to completely remove the speedo you need to unplug it from the headlight pot or wherever the hell it goes.

Step 1. Find the metal bracket protruding from underneath the black plastic speedo cover, mine is actually rusted and it should have a round disc on the top of each side, these discs are actually the top of the mounting bolts that hold the headlight pot and the speedo in place, they are welded to the bracket which means the bolts can not be easily removed. Follow the bolt path downwards and while poking your head underneath the chromed headlight brackets you will see the nut that fastens to the bolts.

You will need a socket wrench with a size 10 socket (i think) and a very long extender to poke upwards through the Yamaha plate and all the cables underneath. If the protruding bits of the bolt are rusted, you need to coat the threads with a penetrating oil and let it sit for a while, because these bolts break easily if the nut seizes on rust, and they are not easily replacable because the heads are welded to the bracket.

After the nuts are removed, pull the speedo upwards freeing the bolts, the speedo unit can now be moved around freely, but be careful if all of your wiring is original, do not try to bend everything too far.

Step 2. On the back of the speedo on the chrome cover there are two screws, one on each side, remove them.

Step 3. You now notice there is some give in the cover, but this is not enough to remove the bolts that hold the faceplate in place.

Very carefully pull the chrome cover back until you can get a small socket wrench with a size 10 socket into the small space, and remove the two nuts and washers included that hold the metal bracket onto the back of the speedo.

Pull the bracket off of the fixed bolts and with a little jiggling and wiggling you should now have alot more room to get a screw driver in there.

Step 4. I recommend a phillip's screw driver with a very skinny shaft.There are 3 screws total that hold the faceplate in place, one on the far left in a groove, one near the bottom center slightly to the left, and one to the far right in its own groove as well.

The screw on the left can be very easily unfastened by poking a screwdriver between the metal bracket and the rear chrome cover. The screw on the right uses the same technique but requires more force applied to the cover just to yeild room for the screw driver. The screw in the center can be removed easily by getting a screw driver in through one of the few holes in the back of the cover. Keep in mind when reassembling that the threads that hold these three screws in place are plastic and can be stripped very easily.

Step 5. After removing the 3 screws, the faceplate is now free. Be very careful not to f**k up the dial plates as I'm sure if you spill something on them they'll be ruined easily.

If you want to reattach the original dial needles, you can use plastic model glue and some light pressure on the needle, after about a minute the glue will start to set.I used some pliars and clipped off the metal needle gate on the speedometer so that it could dry without the needle pushing on the gate. You might be able to just get replacement needles that are simply pressfitted or glued onto the speedometer shaft. I didn't try pulling the needles off.

To resecure the dial plate I recommend coating the screws in loctite. I simply just used some plastic model glue, which will harden in the threads and achieve a similar effect to loctite. I could only find one of the screws in the speedo unit, but I did have another screw of the correct size on me. The size I will post here later. Edit: the size screw that will fit the dial plate is 2-56 x 1/4.

Step 6: Reassembly - Do everything in the opposite order. Be careful. Don't overtorque anything, remember these screws and bolts can break easily.

Step 7. Use the adjustment nob on the left side to get your speedo accurate. At least that's what I think its there for. The nob on mine is gone.
nakosd
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 virago xv500
Sex: Male

Re: xv500 Speedometer removal and disassembly writeup

PostAuthor: grnrngr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:51 pm

The knob that sticks out of the left side of the 500 tach/speedo unit is for resetting the trip meter.
'83 XV500 Red (2+)
'72 Honda 750 K2
'77 Honda 750A

grnrngr
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 83 XV500

PostAuthor: nakosd » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:09 am

Yea I guess that would make more sense.

As for tuning the speedometer, I think it might be achievable by adjusting tension on the shaft's spring inside the unit. At least that's what works on other types of bikes.
nakosd
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1983 virago xv500

PostAuthor: seren » Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 am

Thank you, good info

seren
Junior Membership
Junior Membership