Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

speedometer hub gear drive fix

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

speedometer hub gear drive fix

PostAuthor: LongRoadHome » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Apparently this has happened to many people, many times, and now I'm joining that group.

After searching to see if anyone had pictures I gave up looking after going through several message posts about the problem, so I'm posting this with my few pictures of the "gear unit" or 'drive hub'.

What my trouble consisted of was the commonly bent dog ear or tabs, along with warped ring they are on.

About a year ago when I replaced my tires I mistakenly had that gear hub on the wheel wrong during the first tightening of the axle bolt. I realized it right away but was probably too late and bent those tabs a little, not knowing what I had done to it at that time.

Then last week I was trying to find out if my forks were sticking, not moving as freely as they should, so I might have moved that gear hub when the axle was out again.

There had been an increasing ticking sound while rolling the bike after I torqued the axle to spec a month or so ago. And then that noise stopped yesterday. And later that same day while on the road going 55 MPH the speedometer needle bounced between 50 and 55, so I pulled the cable out and greased it. Soon afterward it was dropping to 0 a moment and jumping back to correct speed. Suddenly stopping entirely and odometer quit turning.

What I found was the speedometer was okay by spinning the cable using a drill. Pulled the wheel off and checked inside the gear "drive" hub and saw what you can see in the pictures. Warped ring, downward bent tabs. But what was really making trouble was a small flat place at one end (the far end) of the worm gear which the cable attaches to. The tabs were scraping past it.

I took my rotary tool with a metal grinder bit and ground that down some. In the closeup picture it's the white or shiny part about a millimeter below the straightened tabbed ring. Thanks to the camera flash showing a shadow of one tab you can see how it would make a bad spot if the tabs bend down into it as they try to spin past.

I had cleaned it all out using a spray can of brake parts cleaner and there was a remainder of original grease still down in there next to the worm gear so I spread that onto the gear.

All checked out good on a test ride (and roll). No ticking noise heard and speedometer back to normal.

A note about cable grease... well, I was going to buy some type of graphite stuff specifically for speedometer cables I had found with a Internet search. The automotive store people had no idea what it was. O'Reilly's, Advance Auto Parts, Tractor Supply... and then I stopped in to ask at a Goodyear shop and the guy there was just as confused as to why I needed something special. He insisted it should basically be dry but coated with something to prevent rusting. Only suggestion was thin coating of wheel bearing grease. Well, I pleaded ignorance. Seems to me I must have used that more than 17 years ago during my previous motorcycle ownership but memory is faded.

I had put White (lithium) Grease on it before but it was a gooey gray and sticky mess when I pulled the cable on the road and wiped that off and reapplied the same again.

So this time I cleaned with brake cleaner and used a synthetic PTBE grease I've got already, Super Lube it's called, and only put a very thin, light coating, rubbed completely over the entire inner cable.

I had seen mention of graphite and Teflon for speedometer cables, but afraid to use anything unless it actually says for such cables. Obviously there's fewer places selling the stuff, yet things are found during Internet search.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage
Past bikes: 1965 Honda S90; 1975 Yamaha RS100; 1981 Yamaha XS400 Special II
ImageImageImage
LongRoadHome
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1997 XV750J1 Virago
Riding 27500 miles, 42 months;
Baffleless mufflers, capped ends;
Mustang seat, zippered XL saddlebags;
Slipstreamer Enterprise windshield;
Chrome front fender, fork brace;
Progressive Springs.
Strobing LED brake light, LED gauges IC;
Pirelli Route MT66 tires.
Sex: Male

Re: speedometer hub gear drive fix

PostAuthor: drainplug » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 pm

I can buy graphite from the local Do-it Best hardware store. It's used to lubricate locks mostly because oils attract and hold dust & dirt. I actually have a small can of spray on graphite, but I don't use it much
I prefer to lube cables (speedo or control)with Chain Wax. It doesn't hold dirt, doesn't cake up ;like grease and once it "cures" it won't run out of the cable.
The wise gardener shakes the tree
drainplug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Bikes I still own;
1983 XV920 Midnight
1975 RD125
1993 XV1100

PostAuthor: LongRoadHome » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 pm

drainplug wrote:I can buy graphite from the local Do-it Best hardware store.

Thanks for your input, drainplug!
This is what I went looking for after seeing it on the 'net, Dorman Graphite:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0338
So I was surprised they didn't have it when I got there.
I looked at some cans of chain lube and I know at least one said something about cables and to let it dry before use, so I wonder if that was the wax kind.
Important thing I'm getting from all this is don't gunk up the speedometer cable.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
LongRoadHome
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Progressive Springs.

PostAuthor: 2longparked » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Longroadhome, May I jump into your thread? I have a 86 XV700SS with a stuck Speedometer Gear Drive. In your pic. we can see the flat end of the spiral gear that the cable slides into. Mine looks like the metal has smashed down around the end and seized the gear and hidden the end. There is wear where you ground down the metal. Shouldn't I be able to insert the cable into the gear and spin the gear? You have posted info showing me how this should look. What's the best way to free up this gear or is it a lost cause? Thanks for all the help.
1986 xv700ss aquired april 2010
1980 XS850 SG Special since 1981
A member of Yamahatriples.com
Home of Colonel Edwin L. Drake's Oil Well!

2longparked
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: LongRoadHome » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 am

Hmm, I was rereading what you said after I posted this reply and I probably got the idea wrong about the worm gear itself being worn or damaged. Happens more often than I care to admit.

That anchor end (on mine) does have a smashed appearance anyway. So it is possible you have a bad cable end piece or something else going on there.
If you can remove all the other parts, does the little gear roll freely?
Cable end not turn?

If it's only jammed because of the anchored end (farthest away from cable end) is stuck against the housing I would believe you might be able to file or grind out a thin space between the gear teeth and housing. Important thing is not to go into the center where it pivots.

Hopefully that answers this, but read the rest here.
========
Perfectly okay with me 2longparked. Sorry I didn't see this sooner, hadn't checked my posts over the weekend.

Since I can't easily get a look at mine again without taking off the front wheel, going by memory I don't think that cable tube is removable. But if it were the little worm gear might come out and be replaced or repaired-- if that gear is sold anyplace... of course not!
:ops: :bg:
From what you describe, best I can figure from that anyhow, I'm guessing the teeth of the little gear has worn down somehow at the anchored end...?

I would attempt to grind out the teeth grooves if possible, only need contact/good teeth at the middle. That large gear does come out, right? I already forget about that.

Looking at ebay I found the whole "speedometer drive gear hub" (or similar words) for sale, some prices under $25 shipped if in USA. Just be careful it's really same type as the XV700 one you have, seemed to be some for early XV750 but I don't know the differences myself.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
LongRoadHome
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Progressive Springs.

PostAuthor: 2longparked » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:23 am

Hi LongRoadHome, Here's my story. The Speedometer quit and I disconnected the cable at the meter, spinning the wheel the cable never moved. I removed the cable and tried spinning the cable and nothing moved. Pulling out the cable from the cover ,the cable is broken. The speedometer jumps when the end is inserted and spun indicating a good meter. I took the wheel off and opened up the drive gear housing. The large gear comes out after removing the snap ring. The gears both look in good shape. The small worm gear is seized tight. Pro cycle is currently checking inventory to see if they have one. They think they do. It will be used. The cable tube appears to be pressed in and a tiny split pin retaining it. Maybe the pin can be drilled out and the cable tube pulled out. That would simplify grinding out the housing where the small gears far end fits. Thanks.

2longparked
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: LongRoadHome » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:59 pm

2longparked wrote:The large gear comes out after removing the snap ring. The gears both look in good shape. The small worm gear is seized tight. Pro cycle is currently checking inventory to see if they have one.

There must be a reason for that gear to stop turning, so hopefully you can figure that out and not have the same thing happen again.

In my case the trouble was from the dog-ear tabs scraping on that far end away from the cable. It was getting metal filings into the gears but not much. You should make sure those tabs aren't bent downward toward the gears before putting it back together, and align it good with the wheel so it doesn't bend them.

Maybe lack of grease got to yours, those gears need some on them, not just the cable.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
LongRoadHome
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Progressive Springs.

PostAuthor: 2longparked » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:23 am

Goodmorning LongRoad Home, Yesterday I bought the Drive Gear Housing and it works well. I just have to assemble it correctly as you mentioned to the wheel. While it is apart I'am going to try to replace the fork seals. Thanks for the help and those great pictures, consider this solved.

2longparked
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: seren » Mon May 04, 2015 10:15 am

I am pretty sure I am having this exact same problem as well. Thanks for the info and pics on what to look for.

seren
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1994 Virago XV535

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles