Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

How to get the armature/rotor/flywheel off

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

How to get the armature/rotor/flywheel off

PostAuthor: moparmaster » Wed May 01, 2013 9:57 pm

This how to is specific to the 96 & older XV535. Other models are similar I'm certain. YOU CAN DO THIS AT HOME.

For all those folks replacing a starter clutch and struggling to get the rotor/armature/flywheel off the crankshaft, this is what I did:

If you have an engine guard/crash bar leave it bolted to the bike at the top, it is your friend here.

Get the left controls off the bike, then remove the left engine cover.

With a Crescent (adjustable) wrench on the flats of the rotor, roll the engine around until the crescent wrench hits the crash bars or the kick stand. Put a 14mm combo wrench on the bolt with the box end on the bolt, fit another box end wrench into the open end of the 14mm and turn. Voila bolt unscrews with little to no effort.

Then, and THIS IS IMPORTANT, use a HIGH quality fine threaded steering wheel puller (mine is from MAC Tools and has the cap that fits over the end of the forcing screw where it will contact, READ THAT AS POSSIBLY DAMAGE, the crankshaft), fit an open end wrench over the forcing screw NEAR where it contacts the crankshaft then rotate the engine and let the wrench jam up against the engine guard or the kick stand, tighten it up (really tight) with a standard 3/8" drive ratchet.

Remove the ratchet, Wrap the rotor in a rag, CONCENTRATING ON THE ENGINE SIDE (you are trying to keep the rollers, springs, etc from flying about......I omitted this step.... :bg: ...)

Give the end of the steering wheel puller forcing screw a couple of good SOLID, square on, hits with a hammer (mine was a 14oz finishing nail claw hammer).

That rotor and starter clutch assembly will JUMP off of the crankshaft. This is where I went hunting springs, rollers and such :;:

This whole job will only take about 15 minutes of actual working time, from removing the left side controls and the cover to the rotor off the bike. With proper tools of course.
Jim
I hate cars & the people who drive them ;-)
From the banks of the Guadalupe, Peace from the Republic.
Definition of Tejas: Friend or Ally
Current ride 2006 XVS650 Silverado

moparmaster
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Location: On the Guadalupe River, City of Seguin, in the Republic of Texas Flag
Bike year & model: 1995 XV535 Virago, Jardin pipes, Memphis Fats windscreen
Sex: Male

Re: How to get the armature/rotor/flywheel off

PostAuthor: moparmaster » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Had someone ask for clarification on a few steps. After revisiting my post some clarification is in order. I wish I had provided pics, has anyone done this and taken a few pics? Post them up or link 'em please :bg:

The flats on the rotor are just inboard of the rotor retaining bolt. DON'T use anything on the outer circumference of the rotor. You will damage it!!!!!

When I said "fit the crescent wrench over the puller forcing screw" .......... the parts that will stop the rotation are one of the puller bolts contacting the wrench and then the wrench contacting some portion of the bike itself ......then get the puller forcing screw really snug

Also some pics about what you will see without any views of tools in use are in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38418
L8R,
Jim
Jim

moparmaster
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: jonathanfilippon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:18 am

Hi Jim,

I was reading through your post and all seems so easy :)
However, I have been fighting with my flywheel for a couple of days now (I ride a Virago 535 1996) and it just seems completely stuck to pull off. I am using the right tools, but it just seems completely stuck - I already hammered quite strongly and nothing happens.

Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot,

Jonathan

jonathanfilippon
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: Virago 535 1996

PostAuthor: moparmaster » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:53 am

Jonathan,

Key to my success was likely due to 2 things. Bike was unmolested (never been worked on anywhere) and the FINE thread steering wheel puller. Stop that crank from rotating and get the screw as tight as possible. Then a square on whack with a hammer. The rotor may be moving, so recheck the forcing screw for being tight up against the crank......You may need the assistance of an air compressor and impact on yours, although risk of damage to the rotor & crank increases dramatically.

Jim
Jim

moparmaster
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Marvelicious » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:36 pm

On my 920 I had to borrow my neighbor's IR TiMax impact, which made short work of it. I had tried every other trick I know - heating it with the torch, hammering the end of the puller... Usually my Snap On 3/8 gun takes care of anything I need, but once in a while there is no replacement for serious torque!
Naturally Aggravated

1981 XV920RH on its way to the café
Marvelicious
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1981 XV920RH

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles