Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Tuned Exhaust Pipe Length Calculator

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Tuned Exhaust Pipe Length Calculator

PostAuthor: Streetmedik » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 pm

I found this and thought it might be interesting for all you designing and building your own exhaust setups.

http://www.mez.co.uk/mezporting/exhaust_length.html
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700 ENGINEcycle

˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʞıq ɹnoʎ ǝpıɹ ʇ,uop

Streetmedik
Mod
Mod

Location: Henryetta, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster .... Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV700N Virago (138,500 miles and counting (222,894 km)) <<i equitare, ergo sum>>
Sex: Male

Re: Tuned Exhaust Pipe Length Calculator

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Great find !

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: Streetmedik » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Now if I just had a welder, a pipe bender and some pipe!!!
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700 ENGINEcycle

˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʞıq ɹnoʎ ǝpıɹ ʇ,uop

Streetmedik
Mod
Mod

Location: Henryetta, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster .... Flag
Bike year & model: 1985 XV700N Virago (138,500 miles and counting (222,894 km)) <<i equitare, ergo sum>>

PostAuthor: smithtec » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 am

I tuned mine with my calibrated eyeball, and I'm quite happy with the way it looks, sounds, and runs.
:chop: :cl:
smithtec
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920 in pieces
1984 XV1000 sold
1989 XV1100 with XV1000 engine needing built
1995 XV1100 sold
1992 XV1100 my rider
1989 XV1100 next build

PostAuthor: neale666 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:35 am

Streetmedik wrote:Now if I just had a welder, a pipe bender and some pipe!!!

Hmm, I've got a tube bender which will take up to 1.25" tubing Image (with a longer. more solid handle now)

I've got a good torch coming, it's just the skills to fabricate it that I'm missing at the moment.

Thanks for the link, looks handy!

Neale

Damn that's weird! I had a look at the site the calculator came off, and it's the site that's been kept up for the father of the guy who runs the UK Tenere forum, who now lives about 10 KM away from the li'l valley up in the hills where my mother grew up, this world's gettin' smaller by the day!!!!!

NB: Brother/son of the guys that created the calculator ages ago (he said 30 years) has mentioned that it didn't used to output the figures, unless his brother's updated the calculator? I couldn't test it as I canna work out what the BBDC and ATDC numbers should be. FWIW
Neale in Oz
1985 XV1000, drag bars, custom seat , Jardine drag pipes, Progressive fork springs, Progressive 440/Custom 10.6" Hagon rears, Highway Hawk Forward Controls, Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing, single carb (HSR-42), Yamaha Stryker/Raider passing/indicator lights, getting there....
These are not the bikes you're looking for
Friends don't let friends ride Dolly bikes
neale666
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 XV1000
1986 XT600Z

PostAuthor: smithtec » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Just a heads up on yer bender....looks handy, but when bending exhaust pipe you will get some deformation unless you support the tube inside somehow....I am aware of a few techniques but never tried any of these. 1) Pack it with sand: sounds like a real pain to plug it, get enough in, etc. 2) Buy some Cerrobend or similar. Not sure what the stuff costs, but it melts with hot water, you fill the pipe, bend it, and melt it back out. 3) Lastly, use a mandrel. Mandrel bent tube is how all headers and such are built. You can also buy pre-made bends from various metal and tube retailers.
For a cheap solution if you plan to wrap or paint your pipes, get pipe from a muffler shop and have them bend it. You will end up with some squished corners, but you can't beat it for cheap.
:chop: :cl:
smithtec
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 XV920 in pieces
1984 XV1000 sold
1989 XV1100 with XV1000 engine needing built
1995 XV1100 sold
1992 XV1100 my rider
1989 XV1100 next build

PostAuthor: Wesso » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 am

GEEZ! Neale I like the look of that tubing bender that you've made... Is that a small car hub that you're using as the centre of the bender?
What I wouldn't give to have a nice adjustable tubing bender in my workshop.
That and a sheet bender and a decent guillotine to cut the sheet aluminium that I work with.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.
To get there, click on the link below. If clicking on it doesn't work , just copy and paste it to your address bar.

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29506#p263323
or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

If you're looking for a Service or Owner's Manual, try this link
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545
We might just have what you are looking for.
Wesso
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1997 XV1100S Virago

PostAuthor: neale666 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:09 am

I didn't make the tube bender Wayne, I got it from one of the guys on the Australian Chopper Forum, who had to make room in his garage for a project. It's got a 7' long handle of about 4cm box steel now, the handle in the pictures apparently kept bending.

Yeah, the heart of the bender is a Barina hub, it's mainly set up for 1 1/4" tubing as it was used to make a pile of chopper frames, it can supposedly be sleeved down for smaller tubing. If it works as well as I'm told it does, I'm thinking of getting a few more hubs and making up ones for smaller and larger tubing, then change the hub to suit the job.

Sounds like you need to build yourself one, and also an English Wheel for the sheets, mind you the wheels for the sheets look bloody expensive, guillotines you can pick up, troll the tool sale classifieds for when a shop's going out of business, apparently a big machine shop in Bendigo got cleared out earlier this year when someone wound up his father's estate, it happens.

Neale
Neale in Oz
1985 XV1000, drag bars, custom seat , Jardine drag pipes, Progressive fork springs, Progressive 440/Custom 10.6" Hagon rears, Highway Hawk Forward Controls, Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing, single carb (HSR-42), Yamaha Stryker/Raider passing/indicator lights, getting there....
These are not the bikes you're looking for
Friends don't let friends ride Dolly bikes
neale666
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1985 XV1000
1986 XT600Z

PostAuthor: Jake » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:11 am

Sorting through some threads and come across this one again. I'm copying it to Tech Articles. Maybe some of you will find it useful.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles