Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Explaining Yamaha Parts Numbering

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Explaining Yamaha Parts Numbering

PostAuthor: mark75 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:53 am

There have been a few posts lately that relate to this, and I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for in the KB/New Tech Articles, so here goes.

Standard Yamaha part numbers are made up of three sections separated by a hyphen.
The Prefix, the Component, and the Modification.
For example p/n 4HM - 12210 - 00
This is the number for the cam-chain adjuster on an XJR400.
The Prefix, the first part 4HM indicates the first model this part was used on. It was specifically designed for this bike.
Different models made after the XJR400 may use this part, but none made before it did.

The Component (number 12210) indicates the part is a cam-chain adjuster. Every cam-chain adjuster on every Yamaha will have a Component number of 12210.
Example: the cam-chain adjuster on an '87 FZR750RT is 3GM-12210-00.

The 3GM indicates the first model this particular adjuster was used on, it also happens to have been used on the '87 FZR1000T.

The Modification, the third part (00) indicates its modification number, 00 = the first design, so a higher number such as 01, 02, or 10 may indicate a change in the earlier design.

It is important to note that this is not because a defect was found, or an improvement was made (although a possibility), but because a change was made to fit a different model.
So a 4HM-12210-00 could be a completely different part from a 4HM-12210-10.
Unless microfiche shows the part was superseded to a different number, always use the original part number because the higher number does not mean better, it means different and may not fit.

Special Yamaha Parts are made up of four sections, the three listed above, and a color code suffix.
Example: '99 XV1100 Side Cover (Deep Red Metallic) 42X-21721-00-P8.
The P8 is the color code suffix. In this case a deep red metallic DRM2 / 0188 used on the '99 1100.

Yamaha Common Parts have a three section number.
Example: 93210-07135-00 is the infamous oil filter O-ring gasket first used on '83 XV750.
(FWIW '81 & '82 have different component number 07438)
Common parts are things like Spark Plugs, nuts, bolts, screws, seals, bearings, gaskets, etc.

Edit:
Bolts contain their size in the part number 'middle' numbers, i.e.
Bolt, Flange p/n 90105-10638-00
indicates a M10 bolt that is 38mm long.
middle number [6 in this case] is a 'place holder'
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bill Wheeler, BW Cycles, BW Enterprises, Oct 12, 2003

Parts and Accessories Microfiche, Star Motorcycles Web-site Yamaha Motor Corporation USA, 2011
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

For Educational Purposes Only
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Sex: Male

Re: Explaining Yamaha Parts Numbering

PostAuthor: Charles/Tx » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks mark!
:burnout:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1997 750 Virago, Jardine pipes, Corbin seat. P901 manifold and CV carb. New taillight. New front turn signals. Accel coil, Front spoke wheel.
Charles/Tx
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 97 xv750 Virago

Re: Explaining Yamaha Parts Numbering

PostAuthor: mark75 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:10 pm

bump
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

'13 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
'82 - XV750

Time flies whether you're having fun __ :bike: ... or not ... :fan: ---
and --- Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez ... just roll safely

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed. ... Mark Twain

New Members Note- The site will allow full access (U/L, D/L, PM, etc) after your 5th post.
TIP: search the Knowledge Base Board Nav., Tech Articles, Tips, and Links for tricks, and Solutions
the search may seem or feel ponderous, but it's worth the effort
*The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.*
mark75
Mod
Mod

Sex: Male

mini-tech session: P/N's and bolts

PostAuthor: wkdenton » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Over the years on various forums that I either moderate or belong to, I've seen many questions about how to know which bolts go in which holes when reassembling bits on motorcycles. With Yamaha at least, the answer is hidden in plain view right in the part numbers, provided you know how to decipher. This information is documented in various places on the net (and also in this forum), but since the VTF seems to have a constant influx of new(bie) blood (which is a good thing), I thought it might be useful to post a mini refresher specifically aimed at how to know where the bolts of various lengths go when reinstalling the CC covers.

If you look at a Yamaha part number that describes a hardware bit, it will almost always be in the form of 5-5-2 digits. For hex head bolts, the first five digits are "91311". However, the second set of five digits is where the secrets of diameter and length are located.

Example: P/N 91311-06040-00 The first two digits of the second set of 5 describe the bolt diamater in mm, in this case 06mm. The last two digits describes the length in mm, in this case 40mm. so this P/N describes a bolt that is 6mm in diameter and 40mm long. If a bolt is over 99mm long, perhaps the middle digit is also part of the length, not sure and in most cases it doesn't apply, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Now take a look at the diagram below for a 1985 Virago 1000 CC cover. On the left side cover you'll see parts # 8, 9, and 10 with corresponding P/N's as follows:

#8 91311-06040-00
#9 91311-06030-00
#10 91311-06020-00

Armed with the information above, you now know into which holes the three 40mm bolts, six 30mm bolts and three 20mm bolts should go when reassembling the LH cover onto the engine.

On the right CC cover a similar picture unfolds:

#35 91311-06040-00
#36 91311-06025-00
#37 91311-06030-00

Once again, it is now clear which length bolts go where.

With this information from the diagram for your particular model year (since there are slight differences) you can clearly see exactly where each bolt of each length goes when reassembling the CC covers onto the bike. No guesswork, shoddy memory or cardboard templates req'd (although I do like the cardboard template idea and have used it ion occasion).

I hope this helps some of the newer folks with their own wrenching. I know it helped me a lot, and I cut and past these types of diagrams into my maintenance log books that I keep for each of my bikes.

Wrench & Ride with confidence!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Yardley, PA
PA-MSP Rider Coach
Lazarus CycleWorks - "We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes"
1981 XV920RH
RH+
wkdenton
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1981 XV920RH
1978 XS650
1980 CB-X
1996 GPz1100