Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Galvanized pipe center lift

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Re: Galvanized pipe center lift

PostAuthor: Wesso » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 pm

ms8238 wrote:The problem is the factory center stand is like a Chinese puzzle.

suppose to be easy as cake to get it up on it but maybe 1 of out 10 tries takes no effort.

the biggest trick is the leg cross, cross over and use your left leg to apply foot pressure to the center stand, so when at that peak point, it has more room to extend left, where your right will be maxed out.
Mmm... This is probably a bit off topic but I'll take the chance... I used to have a Yamaha 750 Special and I never had a problem getting it up on the center stand. There is a very simply technique to use to get a much heavier bike up on the center stand.

• There is usually somewhere on the left side just above the rear footpeg to grab the bike in order to lift it
  • Facing the front of the bike, place your right foot on the foot pad that extrudes from the side of the center stand
  • Whilst pushing down with your right foot pull upwards with your right hand in the position mentioned in step 1
  • At the same time pull back slightly on the handlebar with your left hand and the bike should pop up on the stand.

I am only 5' 5" and 172Lbs and I have a back injury and I can get a BMW GS1200 up on the center stand in a wink by using this method. There is a bit of a trick to it at first but it becomes so much easier as time goes on. When you first push the center stand to the ground (after making sure that you have a hard flat surface that is) let the bike go away from you until you feel it settle on the other side of the center stand so that both feet of the stand are on the ground... Once you have that the rest is just so easy... The bike almost lifts itself up on the stand. I have also tried this on a Honda ST1300 with the same results. The owner could not believe that I could do it and when they tried this technique they were amazed.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.
To get there, click on the link below. If clicking on it doesn't work , just copy and paste it to your address bar.

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29506#p263323
or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

If you're looking for a Service or Owner's Manual, try this link
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545
We might just have what you are looking for.
Wesso
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1997 XV1100S Virago
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Fat Yankee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Wesso wrote:
ms8238 wrote:The problem is the factory center stand is like a Chinese puzzle.

suppose to be easy as cake to get it up on it but maybe 1 of out 10 tries takes no effort.

the biggest trick is the leg cross, cross over and use your left leg to apply foot pressure to the center stand, so when at that peak point, it has more room to extend left, where your right will be maxed out.

Mmm... This is probably a bit off topic but I'll take the chance... I used to have a Yamaha 750 Special and I never had a problem getting it up on the center stand. There is a very simply technique to use to get a much heavier bike up on the center stand.

• There is usually somewhere on the left side just above the rear footpeg to grab the bike in order to lift it
  • Facing the front of the bike, place your right foot on the foot pad that extrudes from the side of the center stand
  • Whilst pushing down with your right foot pull upwards with your right hand in the position mentioned in step 1
  • At the same time pull back slightly on the handlebar with your left hand and the bike should pop up on the stand.

I am only 5' 5" and 172Lbs and I have a back injury and I can get a BMW GS1200 up on the center stand in a wink by using this method. There is a bit of a trick to it at first but it becomes so much easier as time goes on. When you first push the center stand to the ground (after making sure that you have a hard flat surface that is) let the bike go away from you until you feel it settle on the other side of the center stand so that both feet of the stand are on the ground... Once you have that the rest is just so easy... The bike almost lifts itself up on the stand. I have also tried this on a Honda ST1300 with the same results. The owner could not believe that I could do it and when they tried this technique they were amazed.

I'm going to give it a try.

I have been putting the center stand down with left foot on the bike and can not do it on Smooth Concrete.
Fat Yankee
Probation
Probation

Flag

PostAuthor: Jake » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Grampa and Fat Yankee, there is a simple way to get your bike on the center stand. You may want to try this http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/19897146 & http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/19897143 .

You can make one using 4 x 8 and some pipe too. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: zardoz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Oberjal wrote:
All the pieces are standard 3/4 inch galvanized pipe. Here's what you need:

(1) 3-way elbow

I couldn't find a 3 way elbow, so used a "T" and an elbow that had a male and female end on it. This allows twisting the handle 180 degrees if you want to change from right to left.

I noticed there are a pair of holed tabs under the frame like what might be used with a center stand. Anyone ever try to fit a center stand to this? Sure would be nice to have...
Haven't ridden in 30+ years and this '06 VX250 is a great bike for getting back into the saddle again. Installed 17/38 sprockets with new DID XRing chain, and really like the change.
zardoz
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: '06 Virago 250

PostAuthor: joeboarder108 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Would this work on a 535?

Conceptually, I know it would. Is it a good idea though? The 250, unlike the other viragos, has a frame cradling the engine. As far as I'm aware, the 750 and above viragos have a center stand, so they don't really need a lift.

I'm worried about those of us with the 400, 500, and 535s though. In order to lift the bike, we'd need to place the lift directly against the engine or transmission casing. I'm aware that the engine is designed to be a semi-stressed member, but it is designed to support its own weight hanging down from the frame, not the weight of the frame resting on top of the engine. I'd be afraid the weight of the frame would push down and out on the cylinders, possibly causing damage in extreme cases.

Am I being overly paranoid about this?
Bobber/street tracker build in progress.
A european style bike with an american aesthetic.
joeboarder108
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 xv535

PostAuthor: anaman51 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:54 pm

I've also got a rotten back, and have trouble getting my XV750 up on the centerstand. Someone on here mentioned a trick they used, and I'll pass it along. Take a one-foot length of two-by-four and make a forty-five degree angle cut at one end along the wide part of the board. Lay it flat on the ground and roll the back tire up on it, and it makes the lifting part more than halfway done when you start. You can even add quarter-inch layers (plywood) to the bottom until you get it to the point where you can roll it up on the board and the stand will come down without touching the floor---then you can just roll it back off the board and it'll land on the stand.

Dan
:con: An analog man in a digital world.

'81 XV750---Mods: Battery ground modification, forward controls, four brush starter, Jardine slip-on exhaust, custom seat.

Riding my Virago is knowing pure freedom. :chop:

PLEASE RIDE SAFELY!
anaman51
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1981 XV750

PostAuthor: Wesso » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:02 pm

joeboarder108 wrote:Would this work on a 535?

Conceptually, I know it would. Is it a good idea though? The 250, unlike the other viragos, has a frame cradling the engine. As far as I'm aware, the 750 and above viragos have a center stand, so they don't really need a lift.

I'm worried about those of us with the 400, 500, and 535s though. In order to lift the bike, we'd need to place the lift directly against the engine or transmission casing. I'm aware that the engine is designed to be a semi-stressed member, but it is designed to support its own weight hanging down from the frame, not the weight of the frame resting on top of the engine. I'd be afraid the weight of the frame would push down and out on the cylinders, possibly causing damage in extreme cases.

Wow! This is an old post, but I have only just found it again... I concur... You are not being paranoid as far as I am concerned. The bottom of any engine is never a good place to put any pressure onto.
I have seen too many sumps cave in after an engine has been supported on a block of wood or the likes.
Cheers
Wayne

ImageThe preferred method of posting attachments to VTF can be found in the Attachment Pictorial.
To get there, click on the link below. If clicking on it doesn't work , just copy and paste it to your address bar.

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29506#p263323
or copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser and press Enter.

If you're looking for a Service or Owner's Manual, try this link
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=31501#p279545
We might just have what you are looking for.
Wesso
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1997 XV1100S Virago

PostAuthor: JrZook » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Wesso wrote:
joeboarder108 wrote:Would this work on a 535?

Wow! This is an old post, but I have only just found it again... I concur... You are not being paranoid as far as I am concerned. The bottom of any engine is never a good place to put any pressure onto.
I have seen too many sumps cave in after an engine has been supported on a block of wood or the likes.

Just remember that the sump doesn't reassemble anything like an automotive one, nor does the weight of teh bike to the crankcase thickness. At least on the XV250 I have no issues lifting it from the bottom of the crankcase. It is pretty darn thick, not like a thin tin sump.
Engine Specs:___________________________________Bike Specs:
HE 285cc_______________________________________FZR250 twin disc front end
52.4mm ceramic/teflon coated flat top pistons_________GSX600F handle bars
Wiseco TTR125 intake/exhaust valves_______________Relocated rear shocks
TTR125 valve springs_____________________________17/40 sprocket
Ported heads, 3 angle seat cuts_____________________XV700 Tacho
SRV250 cams on custom needle roller bearings________Metzler Lazertech tires
Twin Mikuni BDS26 carbs__________________________Custom 2-1 exhaust
Lightened rotor__________________________________Harley sportster muffler
XT250 clutch pack
JrZook
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: '94 XV250 Sui-Cycle!

PostAuthor: Naspc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:34 pm

JrZook wrote:

Just remember that the sump doesn't reassemble anything like an automotive one, nor does the weight of teh bike to the crankcase thickness. At least on the XV250 I have no issues lifting it from the bottom of the crankcase. It is pretty darn thick, not like a thin tin sump.

I hope you are right about that JrZook. I had my bike on wooden blocks for about a week underneth the crankcase. This old thread is getting me paranoid.
1982 Virago xv750 In progress
Rebuilt Carb with dyno jet kit and pilot jet enlarged with a #76 bit removed Currently running with a stock XV750 Carburetor.
Front End conversion: YZF R6, forks, woodcraft clip-ons D12 grips, throttle, brake and clutch levers done
Acewell 3915 speedo & tach: done
Starter: Box'O'Rocks - Dr. Virago Pete Fix done(still sound like crap)
4 brush starter: Arrowhead SMU0072 done
Air Box to Pod Conversion done
ACCEL Super Coil 140408BK & New Plug Wires with NGK Caps done
Autolite ap63 Spark Plugs done
Ballistic Lithium Ion Battery Evo2 12 done
Grounding Mod done
SirDocWolf 2nd Gen rear wheel conversion 150/90/15 done
BareBone Wiring Harness with Motogadget M-Unit, M-swithces and mini M-swithcesdone
Realm Ram Mono Shock done
This is my Experience:
Naspc
Jr Mod
Jr Mod

Bike year & model: Customized 1982 Virago XV750

PostAuthor: repeatvirago » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 am

Excellent and simple idea, black pipe will save you a little money and do exactly the same thing.
If "YOU" like it than that's all that matters..... who give's a crap what others think !!!!!!!
repeatvirago
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1983 xv750mk

PostAuthor: ms8238 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:11 pm

TTT
ms8238
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flag
Bike year & model: 1982 XV750

Re: Detachable/adjustable heel-toe shifter

PostAuthor: gswatson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:21 pm

And love the galv pipe center stand in the video! What part of the bike is it resting on?
My first bike, for $200. Added stator and tires, then 1/2" EMT Tubing saddlebag supports & cheap saddlebags, a plywood flatbed luggage rack, $15 SV650 handlebars, garden hose O-ring cruise control ($2.59 for six), and still thinking about a backrest, home-made floorboards and a heel-toe shifter, so I can ride in flip-flops.

OK, kidding about the flip-flops....
gswatson
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago xv535

Re: Detachable/adjustable heel-toe shifter

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:48 pm

gswatson wrote:And love the galv pipe center stand in the video! What part of the bike is it resting on?
Moved you post to this thread that he did on the lift.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750

PostAuthor: gswatson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks - Now I think I remember looking at this post a month or so ago...
My first bike, for $200. Added stator and tires, then 1/2" EMT Tubing saddlebag supports & cheap saddlebags, a plywood flatbed luggage rack, $15 SV650 handlebars, garden hose O-ring cruise control ($2.59 for six), and still thinking about a backrest, home-made floorboards and a heel-toe shifter, so I can ride in flip-flops.

OK, kidding about the flip-flops....
gswatson
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1996 Virago xv535

PostAuthor: workingstiff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Love it, nice simple and cheapy-cheapy :bg:

workingstiff
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 82 Virgo 920 shaft

PostAuthor: OldePhart » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Probably resurrecting old thread (typical noob :) ) but this is one sweet idea. I like both stands - and having both would give you the option to lift the entire bike very easily when needed. I'm glad I have a friend who welds for a hobby... LOL

John

OldePhart
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 2012 - 2013 V* 250 (will be purchasing within 30-45 days)

PostAuthor: mototom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 pm

I plan on putting one of these together this week. For now, I'm taking look at the parts on the Home D website and happen to not see 3/4 inch 90-degree elbows. I can't imagine walking into the store and them really not having any when they have all other 3/4 inch pieces.

But, let's say that happens.
Is 1/2-inch okay?
Is black pipe okay?

Thanks
-Phillip
mototom | 2003 Virago 250 XV250R
mototom
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 2003 Virago 250

PostAuthor: mototom » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I put one together using black pipe, but Home D had no 90-degree side outlet elbow. That's the 3-way connection that is not a tee. So instead, I used a tee and a "street" elbow, which is an elbow with one male end and one female end. The downside here is that the torque applied when trying to lift the bike is more than enough to unscrew the handle instead.

Any tips?

I'll likely hunt down a side outlet elbow and see how much that helps. I'm hoping the loctite I used in the foot-to-crossbar threads was enough to hold under torque as they rotate while the lifting occurs. But for now, the loosening of the handle does not allow me to know if anything else will hold up.

-Phillip
mototom
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

PostAuthor: mototom » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Got it! Instead of a 6 inch leg, I'm going to use two smaller lengths joined by a tee. So the handle will now join up in the middle of the right leg, instead of at the top, right corner.
mototom
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Previous

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles