Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Knocking, Tapping In Top Of Front Cylinder (SOLVED)

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Knocking, Tapping In Top Of Front Cylinder (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: 1986 XV700 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:06 am

This post started out as a question until I decided to check my valve clearance "just one more time." I'll go ahead and tell you the problem wasn't valves, rocker arms or cam.

My bike decided to join the front cylinder knocking club yesterday morning on my way to work. For the past year or so its had a persistent light tapping sound that would occasionally get loud on deceleration but usually what might be better described as a tick. This evening I decided to figure out what the problem was since it was now embarrassingly loud and really had me concerned.

I checked all the normal things one would check:
Oil Level - Good.
Valve Clearance - It was out pretty bad but proved not to be the problem after I corrected it.
Rocker Arm Play - There was a little side to side movement on the shaft but there wasn't any movement to make me think the pivot hole was worn.
Oil Flow/Pressure - Cranked up the bike with the front intake valve cover off and oil splatter everywhere and puddled on the floor.

When I cranked the bike with the valve covers off I also had the cam cover off. I looked in at the rotating cam end and noticed the chain slapping the cylinder head in rhythm with the tapping sound. Now it was clear the chain tensioner must have a problem right? It did, would you like to see it? Before you look I'll tell you what I found and how I fixed it.

The problem was one end of the clock spring was no longer connected to the tensioner housing and therefore couldn't apply proper tension to the tension pin. From what I could tell the fixed end of the spring was supposed to be in a hole that is partially drilled in the side of the spring cavity. I heated the fixed end of the spring and formed a hook in it that would fit into the cavity. Because I wanted it to stay put I wedged it into the hole with the hollow aluminum portion of a 1/8" pop rivet. The rivet isn't "set" just gently tapped in to keep the spring in place.

Before winding the spring into place I twisted the tension adjustment pin to the left tightly to keep it in place and hold the tension pin fully extended. I was then able to twist the tensioner housing, winding the spring into the cavity. Once wound into the cavity I put three additional twists on the spring to supply tension to the pin while extended. The cap was bolted back into place and I retracted the tension pin by twisting the adjustment pin tightly to the right so it would stay put. After installing the tensioner back into the engine a slight left twist on the adjustment pin and I heard it zip back into place.

I restarted the bike with the cam cover still off and it actually sounded better than a sewing machine. A sewing machine ticks, my bike don't. Yeah baby, the sweet sound of success!

Here's a few pictures of the disassembled tensioner:
Last edited by 1986 XV700 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

* Custom Paint
* Vance & Hines Exhaust
* V Charger Air Filter
* 1-1/4" Drag Bars
* harley Controls
* MC Enterprises Highway Bar
* Kuryakyn Pegs
* Smart Blink Flasher -http://www.cadentech.com-
* KJS Intake and Mikuni HS40 Carb
* Hard bags hanging on custom supports
* Facebook profile -http://www.facebook.com/Scott.Man- let me know your from VT

Please help us help you.
Include the YEAR and SIZE of your bike in your signature and make sure your signature is turned ON.
1986 XV700
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1986 XV700
Sex: Male

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:46 am

And you couldn't figure that out while my old bike was still breathing LOL ..

Joining the ticking front cylinder club is better than joining the I was riding along and it seized up club ... The entry fee's for that one are way higher .

Hopefully you got a permanent fix now .

R.Ramjet
The " Mistress " done

THE MORE HAIR YOU LOSE ... THE MORE HEAD YOU GET ....

I Lied to get the JOB they lied about the JOB .. So we are even

Bike is as always For Sale

EX-WIFE FOR SALE ... JUST TAKE OVER PAYMENTS

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 Xv920J

PostAuthor: ghostdad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:14 am

Roger Ramjet";p="220688 wrote:And you couldn't figure that out while my old bike was still breathing LOL ..

Joining the ticking front cylinder club is better than joining the I was riding along and it seized up club ... The entry fee's for that one are way higher .

Hopefully you got a permanent fix now .

R.Ramjet

I totally agree RR, now that I'm a new member to the seized up club...LOL
1983 Virago XV920K - second generation starter system, MCV removed, second ground added.
1982 Virago XV920J - Seized motor parting out.
1997 BMW R1100RT - gone but not forgotten
1992 BMW K75RT - gone
1980 Honda 1100 Interstate - gone
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750 - gone

ghostdad
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 am

i got luckty with mine , in my search for a replacement engine I bought the one in my signature picture , and as it turned out it has lower milage , better tires and runs really good , all for $350 .

mine was the putting oil filter in backwards one
The " Mistress " done

1982 XV920J ,82 harley Gas Tank , 81 Maxim Headlight ,Round Aftermarket signal lighting , harley Sportster front fender , Johnny Pag Spyder rear fender ,harley FLH Battery Cover, Highway Crash Bars with Pegs , Aftermarket Mirrors ,Aftermarket Backrest , Mac Pipes ,Leather Saddle Bags , Gen 2 Starter upgrade , Battery Tender , Honda Shadow Ace Seat . Firehouse Technology I-Tube Stereo , Honda Handlebars , On Board 12 v compressor for rear air shock ,Memphis Shades Batwing fairing ,3.5" pull back risers , Homemade Clock mount

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: 1986 XV700 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:01 am

Sounds like shopping for printer ink. Sometimes its cheaper to buy another printer. Get newer technology and new ink.

Having an engine seize up has got to be the ultimate bummer. I'm glad you got a better replacement.

Here's my $0.02 on checking for oil flow in the engine. The suggestion to loosen the banjo bolt at the head is good it proves your engine has oil pressure to the head. If you remove the cam covers and crank the engine you should see a steady stream of oil pouring into the chain cavity below the cam gear. That proves pressure and volume, its not as messy and it looks pretty dang cool
Scott

* Custom Paint
* Vance & Hines Exhaust
* V Charger Air Filter
* 1-1/4" Drag Bars
* harley Controls
* Kuryakyn Pegs

Please help us help you.
Include the YEAR and SIZE of your bike in your signature and make sure your signature is turned ON.
1986 XV700
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 am

I used to do that , I guess I was in to much of a rush this time . Oh well sold off most of the old one now , and the rest is supposed to be picked up Sunday .
The " Mistress " done

Oakville,Ontario .Canada

Roger Ramjet
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Matthew » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:07 pm

start your own clean, repair n rewind service ;)

Send your un sprung parts n pieces with $20 + $1.95 shipping to

P.O. Box
Winding Works
123 Main st
AnyTown, USA
Matthew
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Re: Knocking, Tapping In Top Of Front Cylinder (SOLVED)

PostAuthor: 1986 XV700 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:09 pm

That's an idea that might work if this wasn't so easy a caveman could do it.

If there are any old dinosaurs out there though ... send it on in to XV700's Tensioner Repair Service. Our motto is, 'If we can't fix it we can fix it so it can't be fixed.'
Scott

* Custom Paint
* Vance & Hines Exhaust
* V Charger Air Filter
* 1-1/4" Drag Bars
* harley Controls
* Kuryakyn Pegs

Please help us help you.
1986 XV700
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: soccerguy83 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:53 am

Ok gonna show my lack of engine knowledge. Could this also be a problem on the 535, my engine has a nock to the upper end of the front cylinder and it's not the valves. Not trying to thread jack, if the mods want me to move it I will.

Thanks
Brian

1993 XV535 (sold)
2006 FZ1

Colonial Embers Competition BBQ Team

soccerguy83
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: 1986 XV700 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:45 am

I'm not sure about the design of the tensioners on the 535's but I know they have them. Given that the cause of your noise could be a bad or malfunctoining tensioner.
Last edited by 1986 XV700 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

* Custom Paint
* Vance & Hines Exhaust
* V Charger Air Filter
* 1-1/4" Drag Bars
* harley Controls
* Kuryakyn Pegs

Please help us help you.
1986 XV700
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: soccerguy83 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 am

Sounds good, will have to do some research.
Brian

1993 XV535 (sold)
2006 FZ1

Colonial Embers Competition BBQ Team

soccerguy83
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: classclown » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 pm

I too have the occasional "tick" on the front cylinder. I haven't looked into it because it doesn't sound "life threatening", but I was steering toward an exhaust leak at the head pipe connection. It's not constant, but does come and go regularly. Maybe I too have the same issue wsith this tensioner you speak of?

1987 XV700
1987 XV700
Jardine forward controls
Mustang seat
LOUD drag pipes(unknown brand)

classclown
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: zfoxfire » Thu May 12, 2011 7:28 am

I'm glad I read this.This problem has been developing lately in addition to a failing ignitor box so I didn't stop to think about my tensioner possibly going bad. I just took my garage queen out of storage and am working on her again. I'd rather not join the siezed-enging club so soon. I'll be checking my valve clearance and chain tension today. Thanks! :)

zfoxfire
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: YamahaFamily » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Great info! Thanks!
1984 Yamaha Virago XV700 sat outside for 10 years resto project.

YamahaFamily
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 Virago xv700

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles