Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Float level adjusting - simplified

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Re: Float level adjusting - simplified

PostAuthor: ™GodsChild™ » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 am

Vroomvroom gets the golden carb award!!! I have built many carbs and the float height and drop are always taken from the gasket surface as i have pictured here.Pic #1 shows float drop.Pic #2 shows float height.These measurements are taken at the front of the float.Back in the day carb kits included a preset, plastic or cardboard measuring device to set your float level right the first time! My measuring device here is not the most accurate.One with longer "arms" would be more suitable.You can always make one w/cardboard?"NEVER PUSH DOWN ON YOUR FLOAT WITH YOUR MEASURING DEVICE"!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
™GodsChild™'s '82 XV750. Image
™GodsChild™
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

PostAuthor: kiranotter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:11 am

I wanted to chime in on a little tidbit I discovered:

Measure BOTH floats!

For whatever reason while adjusting mine, one is slightly higher than the other (or lower depending on your perspective.) You gotta make sure they're both at most 19mm from the jet boss.

Mine were about 1.5mm different. So while one read 19, the other read 20.5, resulting in a low fuel level in the bowl. I readjusted so one is 19 and the other is 17.5, and now the level is right on.

I have an VX1100 with the orange floats. And of course, if they're 'twisted' like this, they should probably be replaced.. is my guess.
kiranotter
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mcrepairusaq » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:29 am

thanks for the info. it's 1:30 am here in north florida and i was starting to go out of my mind now i can go to bed and start fresh in the morning. what a relief i'll post the results in the morning. thanks again :zzz: :burnout:

mcrepairusaq
Brand New
Brand New

Flag

PostAuthor: bmx92280 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Im doing my first carb rebuild on an 82 xv 750. I dont understand how you adjust the floats. I mean how do you move them up or down and get them to stay. What is the actual adjustment process?
82 xv750 Riddler Green

bmx92280
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: coalstoves » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:34 am

Ya bend the float tang that pushes the needle valve, prolly one of the more primitive adjustments of carburetors,, not to mention if ya don't get them right before installing ya have to pull them off to readjust and readjust .

I used a jig to hold the carbs and some clear hardware store tube to rig the tank up and triple checked them before installing the carb set on the bike
1987 XV700
1999 XV1600

To see my Virago click the globe icon next to the PM button

Never Time To do it Right but Always time to do it Twice
coalstoves
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 XV700

PostAuthor: bmx92280 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:00 am

how do you tell if you have the proper level?
82 xv750 Riddler Green

bmx92280
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag

PostAuthor: coalstoves » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:10 am

Clear tube method outlined in the various service manuals
1987 XV700
1999 XV1600

To see my Virago click the globe icon next to the PM button

Never Time To do it Right but Always time to do it Twice
coalstoves
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1987 XV700

Re:

PostAuthor: _lauri_ » Sat May 04, 2013 7:32 am

RusVirago wrote:
Vyrus";p="130405 wrote:
grazingazer";p="127835 wrote:set to 15 mm-1.5 cm

hahaha GG, I was good with understanding this whole post until you chimed in! j/k

15 mm from the mating surface to the top of the float, or 19mm from the top of the float to the main jet boss, all done while the carbs are off the bike and upside down on the table, or workbench or whatever you use.

Is this exactly what you are saying?? lol

LOL that is how I felt when GG chimed in but realy he made sense we just did not understand because we dont have anywhere near the experience that GG and others here have, at this point I can set these carbs perfect no problem!

Anyway to answer your question Yes its 15mm from the mating surface which is called the crack of the bowl to the top of the float if the carbs are upside down ( this also means you realy are going to the bottom of the float because they are flipped to make it more complicated :) ) and yes it is 19mm from the same point you measure to from the crack, only you put the ruler on top of the float very gently dont push, to the top of the Main Jet. Good luck!

Dont forget to bench test, bench test, and bench test! Also use the clear tube method!

I found these measures impossible. Set float top (bottom) to be 18mm from main jet boss - about 20mm to main jet top. After that it was only 9mm from top of float to mating surface. Don't know if did something wrong or have somehow different carb. Will tube test on monday after getting new bolts.

_lauri_
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 Virago
Sex: Male

Re: Re:

PostAuthor: _lauri_ » Mon May 06, 2013 2:50 pm

_lauri_ wrote:
RusVirago wrote:LOL that is how I felt when GG chimed in but realy he made sense we just did not understand because we dont have anywhere near the experience that GG and others here have, at this point I can set these carbs perfect no problem!

Anyway to answer your question Yes its 15mm from the mating surface which is called the crack of the bowl to the top of the float if the carbs are upside down ( this also means you realy are going to the bottom of the float because they are flipped to make it more complicated :) ) and yes it is 19mm from the same point you measure to from the crack, only you put the ruler on top of the float very gently dont push, to the top of the Main Jet. Good luck!

Dont forget to bench test, bench test, and bench test! Also use the clear tube method!

I found these measures impossible. Set float top (bottom) to be 18mm from main jet boss - about 20mm to main jet top. After that it was only 9mm from top of float to mating surface. Don't know if did something wrong or have somehow different carb. Will tube test on monday after getting new bolts.

Yeah, it worked well with those measurements. 19mm from float top to main jet boss - and 8mm from mating surface to lowest point of float top.

_lauri_
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: irish virago 700 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:24 am

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH ALL THE ADJUSTMENTS ON MY 1985 700 CARBS. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFO. ONE QUESTION THOUGH. HOW DO YOU ADJUST THE TANG THAT IS ON THE TOP OF THE FLOAT THAT TOUCHES THE TOWERS FOR THE FLOAT PIN??? THAT IS YET ANOTHER ADJUSTMENT IN A LONG LIST OF VIRAGO CARB ADJUSTMENTS THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX. PLEASE HELP:(

irish virago 700
Brand New
Brand New

Bike year & model: 1981 virago 750 WITH A 1985 700 ENGINE

PostAuthor: bigwheel53 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Im going to do my carbs as the engine is coming out anyway but reading these posts made my head spin. The member asking all the questions that I would have asked helped me quite a bit.NOW I get it..

bigwheel53
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 1995 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: YamahaFamily » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Good info, im pulling apart some carbs that have been sitting for 10 years and im going to need lots of info.
1984 Yamaha Virago XV700 sat outside for 10 years resto project.

YamahaFamily
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Flag
Bike year & model: 1984 Virago xv700

Previous

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles