Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Why you should take care of your brakes

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Post a reply

Why you should take care of your brakes

PostAuthor: faffi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:54 am

I never stop wondering how people ignore the brakes on their vehicles. In my opinion, brakes is the most important part of any vehicle, the one that can mean the difference between life and death. And while the caliper often is the one that looks the worst, it is very rare that they fail immediately. master cylinders, OTOH, can go from full operation to no function from one stop to the next. I have experienced that with two cars, my brother with two bikes.

To date, I have yet to strip a brake system on any used bike I have bought that was immaculate. One must wonder why don't the owners just replace the brake fluid as per specification in the manual? It would have prevented just about any issue with the system for a long time. Low miles is no excuse to not change the fluid.

Here are a few examples I've encountered over the years.

Exhibit 1: 2001 Yamaha XVS650, 13,500 miles, master cylinder changed at one stage by PO.

POqxTe6wM3eDkG4qPmbO2IRi6t3ww7CwiLUwvzOW0tRXWsNIYpPkJkaeUCFQpIyRyRxUxJH5JdQ0i-3_V-rWot6QejPtfYTQTLDOgHF7I-abjaSLAAI7KJuD3rjzD92H8jmFpkVPSRA?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Exhibit 2: 1982 Yamaha XV750, 8,000 miles.

Exhibit 3: 1977 Kawasaki KZ650, 40,000 miles
This is the good master cylinder piston, the other I had was so corroded it broke in two!

faffi
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: Relevant machines for this forum:
Current: 2001 XVS650 Drag Star Classic
Former: 1982 XV750SE with XV1100 engine and electrics, XT600Z shock absorber, 18" Seca rear wheel
Sex: Male

Re: Why you should take care of your brakes

PostAuthor: mark75 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:50 pm

part laziness? and partially the slow, subtle degradation of feeling of proper high-quality braking? - they are still working (meh), but it's what I've gotten used-to ...

part of it may be "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" and "if-it-ain't-broke-why-fix-it" kind-of things.

it's the "reason" why maintenance schedules are put into service (or owners) manuals, and why they should-not be ignored.

just getting rid of those old, rubber brake-lines will really shock ya'

my :2cents: --- end-of-rant :blush:
"Over the Mountains of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride" ... E.A. Poe

Time flies >>> whether you're having fun __ :bike: or not :fan: ---

Any day above ground is a good day.
so Laissez les bon temps roulez. just roll safely --- Semper Vigilans...always watchful

"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." ... Confucius*

If you don't read the news you are not informed.
If you read the news you are misinformed.
... Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The views, opinions, and experiences expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily represent views and opinions of other VTF members, so feel free to agree, disagree, or ignore them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mark75
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 1982 - XV750
2013 - FXDC Super Glide Custom
Sex: Male

Post a reply

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles